Skating Elitism.

Old December 24th 04, 11:28 PM

Default Skating Elitism.

Over the last year there have been many interesting comments about
classic style skiing here at RSN. One writer stated it was a joke about
all the discussion over learning good classical technique when clearly
there is more to skating. Another writer suggested there are more
classical entrants currently in the Keskinada because they are less
fit. This fall several writers stated classical skiing was a fringe
thing and basically just required double poling hmmm... After seeing a
video posted on this newsgroup of one writer skating, I get a feeling
these folks cannot ski classical proficiently, but I digress. It is
interesting to understand where they get this sense of elitism versus
classical technique. Perhaps, because they ski faster than the
tourists, or because they have bigger ones. Yeah... were talking about
poles here. To think classic skiing requires less skill, or stamina is
a clear disregard for the history of the sport. Can you picture the two
birkebeiner's carrying the future king of Norway through the mountains
on skate skis. They asked all the peasants to roll logs over the
mountain passes to pack the deep snow. Now with peasant grooming they
could ski skate the child king to safety. If you think classic skiing
requires less skill, fitness, or has no appeal try telling this to over
12,000 entrants who race in the Norwegian Birkebeiner every year. If
you don't know, this is a World Loppet Classic event.

Old December 25th 04, 01:11 AM
Camilo

The main reason that skating is so emphasized in this group is the strong
focus on the relatively minor world of gung-ho racing among most posters,
and skating is a race-oriented sport and the faster of the two (given
certain caveats, see below). It almost seems its the only reason most
r.s.n'ers ski. RSN'ers tend to be more interested in racing results than
the recreational aspects of groomed trail skiing, let alone touring or any
other cross country endeavor. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's a
terrific sport which I love although I'm a very slow racer. But it's just a
small part of nordic XC, but you wouldn't know that by the emphasis of this
group. Really, a better group name would be rec.skiing,nordic-racing.

To me there's no doubt that classical skiing requires more skill and
technique as well is a far more versitile sport (from racing to trail
breaking, to on and off track touring, and everything in between). There's
so much beyond fitness and racing involved, and that may be why real
athletic skiers, new to the sport, tend to focus on skating and ignore
striding. Fitness requirements vs. skating is probably not an issue - elite
skiers in both need to be fit.

Skating (here I'm referring to those who skate only, and there are a bunch)
more likely attracts those who don't want to mess with the nuances of
technique and the waxing skill that is needed just to become effective in
classical and/or have no interest in touring or off-track skiing. People
can just get on skating gear and power their way around the groomed courses
without having much technique or having to get out of the comforts of
civilization. I think there's a steeper learning curve and more messing
around with classical skiing. Atheletic people new to the sport just don't
want to or can't mess with it because the skill they have in classic sking
at that stage just won't take full advantage of their athletic ability (at
least as far as race results go).

Of course, there's a lot of technique in skating, and I enjoy it a lot.
There's no doubt that given warm winter temps (above 0F) an expensively
maintained, wide cleared, highly developed and machine groomed track, it is
the faster of the two. But it requires a very well developed trail to do,
compared to every type of classic skiing you can name. It's really not a
sport you can do on trails that are at all natural. Sort of like hiking on
a road vs. a low impact, nearly-natural trail.

Classical cross country skiing is the most natural and utilitarian snow
sport and has the most history, a history I personally love. Having started
skiing as a back country tourer, when striding was the only nordic cross
country technique, if anything, I tend to view excellent classic skiers as
the more elite skiers - I tend to be elitist in that way. I'll admit that
my personal bias is that skater-only skiers are incomplete. I respect an
excellent classical skier more than an excellent skater. Just my bias.
Classic skiing, in all it's variations from racing to mountain touring is
just so much more fun. If I had to give up one, I'd give up skating in a
heartbeat. People who don't classic ski are missing the true essence of snow
sport, but don't know it.

Just one guys personal opinion of course,

Cam

Old December 25th 04, 03:10 AM
gr

[...]

I don't skate for a couple of reasons:
1) the trails just across the street are all hiking trails and way too
narrow to skate.
2) all the places I ski have no grooming at all (although sometimes I am
glad the snowshoers have knocked snow down for me!), and skating seems
to only work on groomed surfaces.
Skating is just too limiting as to where I can ski.
gr
Old December 25th 04, 03:44 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Good trolling..

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old December 25th 04, 05:37 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

You're very sensitive. Classical tempo is different than skating in a
way that makes it easier to do when one isn't in peak shape. Consider
that one can go up a steep hill or a long incline at a variety of paces
in classical, but skating doesn't allow as much flexibility. Beyond
that, in the midwest and other areas where snowfall isn't measured in
feet, or temps go through a melt/freeze cycle frequently, skating
naturally predominates. Beyond that, Americans just love speed. Still,
many of the midwest races, for instance, are classical or have an
official classical components. I also refer you to Ralph Thornton's
summary of the late 80s Soviet training experiment, where the half of
the team that trained 2/3 classical did better on the WC circuit than
those who trained 2/3 skate.

Gene

Old December 25th 04, 03:03 PM
Wile E. Coyote

wrote in message
ups.com...
Over the last year there have been many interesting comments about
classic style skiing here at RSN...

(snip)

While waiting for the start of the Devil's Thumb Nordic Opener race last
weekend, I watched one of the classic style competitors warming up. This
guy was amazing - fast, powerful, fluid, graceful, and stylish. I have no
doubt that he was the winner of the classic race that day. Watching him
would make almost anyone want to take up Nordic skiing.

My experience has been that it is far easier to master skating that classic.
Classic skiing requires so many subtle movement solutions, and a lot of time
on-snow, practicing. Most of us city dwellers (Denver) don't get that much
on-snow time (the snow is an hour and a half away, and jobs tend to
interfere with ski time).

-JJ

Old December 25th 04, 03:20 PM
Doug Taylor

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:11:12 -0900, "Camilo"
wrote:

To me there's no doubt that classical skiing requires more skill and
technique as well is a far more versitile sport (from racing to trail
breaking, to on and off track touring, and everything in between). There's
so much beyond fitness and racing involved, and that may be why real
athletic skiers, new to the sport, tend to focus on skating and ignore
striding.

I'm starting my 6th season x-c skiing coming from an alpine background
(being a PSIA alpine instructor for close to 20 years). I took up
x-c because many of my cycling cohorts did it as a fun as well as
effective winter cross-training, and alpine only keeps the quads in
shape.

Interestingly, the majority of my group skis classical only, followed
by a fair number who both stride and skate, followed by a tiny few who
skate only.

It never occurred to me taking up the sport that I wouldn't do both.
We are lucky to have two private resorts within an hour drive which
groom for both, and a huge variety of trail systems all over the place
for touring. I rarely if ever go to a resort with grooming without
all my equipment, and it is a flip of the coin whether I skate or
stride first. But I will do both unless the snow is too warm or too
icy for classical.

My experience over the past seasons echoes what Nordic PSIA
instructors advise: Classical is easier to learn but harder to
master; skating is harder to learn, but easier to master.

Classical starts out as the more intuitive because the movements are
natural, while the skating poling techniques are counter-intuitive and
take a while to become coordinated. But once the basics of both are
learned and the fine tuning and real mastery of the sports begin, it
is fairly clear that classical is the harder and more subtle
technique. Not to mention the art and science of grip waxing.

So it is no wonder that many skiers new to the sport will opt for
glide waxing only, and the speed and relative simplicity of skating
technique, even if skating up hills is the hardest physical activity
known to mankind :-)

But any skater who gets passed on the trail by a classic skier who
truly knows how to ski understands what the real deal is.

Old December 25th 04, 06:33 PM
Terje Henriksen

"John Forrest Tomlinson" skrev i melding
Good trolling..

Due to very little snow, the grooming machine have not been used here were I
live, until now. The only way to ski has been to make the tracks ourself on
a few cm of snow. Skating has been almost impossible. It means that people
that do not ski classic, have had a bad month.

My humble opinion is that disciplines like biathlon and nordic combined
would have been much more fun to watch if classic skiing also had been
included, in addition to skating.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old December 25th 04, 07:32 PM
J999w

Personally, I had more fun racing the Birkie when it was all classic than after
skating took over. It was a blast hopping from track to track catching people,
passing them, having them pass you back.

john wilke
milwaukee
Old December 26th 04, 02:14 AM
Ken Roberts

I spend more of my snow days each year _not_ skating. Because non-skating
techniques and equipment are appropriate for more of the terrain and snow
conditions that I encounter -- like this:
http://roberts-1.com/t/s04/fr/3c or http://roberts-1.com/t/hra/day_3
But I don't talk about my non-skating much on this newsgroup, because this
newsgroup is about skiing at cross-country centers with groomed trails.

If the snow is firm enough and wide enough and gentle-sloped enough, I'm
going to skate. If it is not, then I use non-skating techniques. It's not a
matter of "elitism" -- just what's the way to have the most fun.

Like in California last March when Dave and I skied from near Echo Summit to
Barker Pass and Blackwood Canyon in a day, we were on light classic skis,
and skied classic striding technique most of the way. Except when we reached
Lake Aloha we found a supportive wind-crust, so we both had a fun time
skating across it.

wrote
Norwegian Birkebeiner race . . . Can you picture the
two birkebeiner's carrying the future king of Norway
. . . over the mountain passes . . . deep snow.

Can _you_ picture those two guys doing that in 40mm-wide fiberglass racing
skis and ultra-light poles with tiny baskets, and carrying backpacks holding
only 4 kg of food and warm clothing?

The authenticity of this "classic" technique re-enactment is escaping me --
since now the route is nicely groomed the whole way from Rena to
Lillehammer.

Same with the trails on Sweden's Vasaloppet Classic 90K course. When I got
my chance to ski from Salen to Mora, I _skated_ it. No regrets -- skating
was obviously more appropriate for the terrain. I feel sorry for all the
people who haven't had the chance to skate across the plateau thru Smagan --
because of a fake "classic" historical-authenticity requirement.

Ken