Avalanche Beacons Forsale

Old December 21st 04, 05:23 PM

Default Avalanche Beacons Forsale

Friends are updating their avalanche beacons so I am making a posting
for them.

5 ea. PIEPS 457 "Opti-Finder" (457 kHz)
$150 (including shipping in the US).

3 ea. PIEPS-2 (2275 Hz-"old" frequency)
$55 each or $150 for all three (including shipping in the US).

2 ea. Ramer Echo-2 (2275 Hz-"old" frequency)
$55 each or $100 for both (including shipping in the US).

Most with the except of one missing case on the Pieps-2 come with
instructions and the case.

Note the old frequency beacons are not compatiable with the new
frequency but as long as everyone is onthe same frequency you are set.

Image of all beacon are available.

Contact me only at "a r s (at) a c m (dot) o r g" No spaces
Cheers,

Allen

Old December 21st 04, 07:39 PM
Dave Ward

And what if you aren't all on the same frequency or you have to find someone
who isn't in your group??? Don't buy the old technology. It isn't worth
the risk - lives are at stake here.....

oups.com...

Old December 21st 04, 10:13 PM

Dave Ward wrote:
And what if you aren't all on the same frequency or you have to find

someone
who isn't in your group??? Don't buy the old technology. It isn't

worth
the risk - lives are at stake here.....

Just a follow up ... there are groups out there that are still using
the old frequency because they have not updated. Sad but true. There
are people still using dual frequency beacons for this reason. Mixed
groups are a problem thus the warning in my post - this should be of
concern and my post was not ment to down play this.

Granted, the newer beacons do have better technology, not only in terms
of transmission and reception but also searching patterns. If someone
asks me about using the older beacons my response would simply be only
if you have no choice and any person contacting me would be made aware
of this.

There are people who use the older frequency beacons for purposes other
than avalanche rescue (e.g non emergency situations) - a while back I
knew of some cavers that were using them.
In addition the old beacons can be used to teach people.
Cheers,

Allen