Volkl Vertigo G4 Vs. K2 AK Enemy Vs. Dynastar 4x4 big ?

Old December 9th 03, 02:10 PM
christophe

Default Volkl Vertigo G4 Vs. K2 AK Enemy Vs. Dynastar 4x4 big ?

Hi all,

I'm about to buy one of the pairs of skis mentioned in the subject,
and I'm wondering whether some of you have some experience on those
and can advise me?

I ride in France, 80% of the time out of hardpacked slopes, where we
find powder snow (mostly wet/heavy), crud, blown, and I also like
moguls a lot ...
I jump small cliffs (up to 3 meters), but don't trick much (just a few
tip crosses).

I've been evolving from giant slalom skis (rossignol 9x) to freeride
ones (dynastar powertrack), so I'm a bit concerned with the grip of
those fat skis on icy parts...

My opinion, just based on bending the ski by hand in the shop:
volkl vertigo G4: very stiff on the whole lenght (for a freeride ski,
like my powerstrack), thus probably good at speed, bad in moguls, good
on hardpack, maybe not very easy in forests/short turns
ak ennemy: very soft back and tip, thus probably more confortable in
forest/short turns and moguls, less precise at speed, not much grip on
ice
4x4 big: between the two others (but I don't like the way it looks)

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Christophe
Old December 10th 03, 07:43 AM
christophe

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies!

I know those skis are not this year's ones, this is why I go for them
(good deal, around 330 euros).

I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm not sure of the precise
definition of backcountry... I understand this is climbing up
mountains with what we call in french "seal skins", then down.
This is not what I want to do with those skis (I've got some "brand
new" yeti's for that purpose).
I ride mostly offpiste (as soon as there's enough snow, whatever its
texture), or in moguls.
As conditions in France vary from correct powder to heavy powder to
water-like snow to icy stuff, my questions on these skis are whether:
- they work well offpiste... most important thing )
- they're ok at speed
- they behave well in moguls
- they behave correctly when crossing some icy part of slope

from what I read, the G4's are too stiff (moreover the only available
size is 188), so I would especially appreciate comments on the 4x4 big
or ak enemy.

by the way I'm 1m88/83Kg.

Thanks!

Christophe

Ulrich Hausmann wrote in message ...
Kurt Knisely wrote:

you're aware that are all skis of the last season or even older?

We're BC skiers, you mean there's another kind of ski? "Last season or older"
are the only kind of skis I've ever bought. $800-$1000 for a new pair of
future rock skis is not in my plan.

sure. But 2 points:

- That kind of skis, new or old, for sure are not BC skis of any kind.
- Starting from what the original poster said, i got the idea he might
be doing - mostly, at least -, what i'd call offpist skiing. BC, like
you have in mind, nearly nowhere in the Alps you' ll do (rather, if at
all, alpine touring).

Greetings,

Ulrich

Old December 10th 03, 10:59 AM
Ulrich Hausmann

Hi Christophe,

partly (in winter), i'm living in Andermatt, so, i'm speaking more or=20
less about the same snow (although, obviously, i think we've the best=20
powder in the Alps ;-) ).

Looking at your height and weight, i'd say the G4 is for you. The=20
Dynastar 4x4, IMHO obviously, is somewhat "clumsy" in pist. It's not=20
really feeling like a ski. Strangely, its successor, the Intuitiv is way =

way better. The 4x4 is slow in changing edge (in alpine/fixed heel=20
skiing) and difficult - although not impossible - on blue ice.

The V=F6lkl OTOH, is really *a ski*: conducts well in pist and off-pist. =

Needs a little bit of speed, but then, it's really great. In Andermatt=20
there are some guys using it in telemark and it's fine as well.

Personally (height 173 weight 70)i'm skiing a St=F6ckli Stormrider XL 176=
=20
with tele (and a Stormrider I 184 with Fritschi - fixed), just to give=20
you an idea.

Go for the V=F6lkl, i'd say. Or, alternatively, look around for a K2 Axix=
=20
XP (last season), which is a great ski in and outside the pists or a=20
last season Head Monster 85, which despite it's large waist, feels=20
surprisingly lively, fast in changing and responsive.

This is my point of view. Others may have other opinions.

Good luck,

Ulrich

christophe wrote:

Hi folks,
=20
Thanks for your replies!
=20
[...]
Ulrich Hausmann wrote in message news:br545m$28=

=20
Kurt Knisely wrote:

you're aware that are all skis of the last season or even older?

We're BC skiers, you mean there's another kind of ski? "Last season o=

r older"
are the only kind of skis I've ever bought. $800-$1000 for a new pai=

r of
future rock skis is not in my plan.

sure. But 2 points:

- That kind of skis, new or old, for sure are not BC skis of any kind.
- Starting from what the original poster said, i got the idea he might =

be doing - mostly, at least -, what i'd call offpist skiing. BC, like=20
you have in mind, nearly nowhere in the Alps you' ll do (rather, if at =

all, alpine touring).

Greetings,

Ulrich

--=20