TR - Big Bear 3/21 and 3/22

Old March 22nd 12, 01:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default TR - Big Bear 3/21 and 3/22

I decided to try it backward - rather than rising early to get first tracks and then leaving mid-afternoon, I left the house this morning about 9AM and stayed until the lift operators were yelling "last chair". I'm also doing a 2-day trip, so I don't have to drive both ways in one day.

I started skiing about noon. Weather was warm and sunny. There was a moderate crowd, perhaps a combination of spring break and recent snow, but not much in the way of lift line delays. The surface condition up higher was heavy snow, with some slick spots in the shadows and sticky spots down below..

Tonight I am at the Motel 6. I had forgotten how spartan those are.
Old March 22nd 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 03/21/2012 07:29 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

I started skiing about noon. Weather was warm and sunny. There was
a moderate crowd, perhaps a combination of spring break and recent
snow, but not much in the way of lift line delays. The surface
condition up higher was heavy snow, with some slick spots in the
shadows and sticky spots down below.

Tonight I am at the Motel 6. I had forgotten how spartan those are.

I like Spartan as long as the bed is comfy and I didn't bring one of
those lights that shows all the protein stains on the bedspread, floor,
walls, ceiling, etc...

I am filled with admiration for people who like the kind of snow I might
pay money to avoid :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
Children, your performance was miserable. Your parents will all
Old March 22nd 12, 01:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:39:17 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

I found myself complaining about the heavy snow and yet getting right back on the lifts until they shut them down.

There were a couple of really sweet spots off Chair 9 that I didn't find until late in the day.

Old March 22nd 12, 02:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 03/22/2012 07:29 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

I took more runs than I should because I didn't want to disappoint my
more energetic (and younger and thinner) friend. The last run is always
the one I should have stopped before.

There were a couple of really sweet spots off Chair 9 that I didn't
find until late in the day.

I've always assumed that that area would be full of tinies on green
slopes acting as movable slalom gates. I'm wrong?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
Old March 22nd 12, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

The Real Bev wrote:
On 03/22/2012 07:29 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

I've always assumed that that area would be full of tinies on green
slopes acting as movable slalom gates. I'm wrong?

I think you mean GS gates, you ski around GS gates you ski through
Slalom gates-- kind of whack the pole out of the way

Old March 22nd 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 3/22/12 10:24 AM, down_hill wrote:

I think you mean GS gates, you ski around GS gates you ski through
Slalom gates-- kind of whack the pole out of the way

You know all gates used to be pretty dam solid - break your shoulder if
you hit one too direct. If you look at old race pictures they're all
doing "reversed shoulder" to "slip the gate" and avoid contact.
Breakaway gates (also used in GS, BTW) are still relatively newish to
those with an extended memory. History demands using Slalom, not GS, in
the phrase.

We grownup skiers started describing obstacles as "slalom gates"
(meaning beginners AKA "snowbunnys") long before modern breakaway gates.
Even though kids hurt less than old-style gates it is still considered
bad form to throw a shoulder into a 6 year old.
Old March 22nd 12, 09:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 03/22/2012 10:24 AM, down_hill wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
On 03/22/2012 07:29 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

I've always assumed that that area would be full of tinies on green
slopes acting as movable slalom gates. I'm wrong?

I think you mean GS gates, you ski around GS gates you ski through
Slalom gates-- kind of whack the pole out of the way

Whatever. Since I am not quick enough to do any kind of gate past the
second or third one, the best I could do is smash into them pole pointed
forward, and I couldn't do that too many times before somebody would
notice and complain. Goddam whiners, if they want their kids to be safe
they should leave them home wedged behind the piano.

I'm pretty sure they'd yank a day ticket for that, but would they be
mean enough to cancel a season pass? NOT FAIR!

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
Old March 22nd 12, 09:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 03/22/2012 02:02 PM, lal_truckee wrote:

We grownup skiers started describing obstacles as "slalom gates"
(meaning beginners AKA "snowbunnys") long before modern breakaway gates.
Even though kids hurt less than old-style gates it is still considered
bad form to throw a shoulder into a 6 year old.

People are getting too soft and complain too much. They need to teach
their kids to toughen up even if they themselves have lost the ability
to deal with adversity in a practical way.

They should give the kids length-appropriate spears or pikes to even the
odds. Wouldn't you think twice before hitting a kid holding a spear,
especially if it was longer than your ski pole?

Maybe they could be included in the children's rental package...

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
Old March 23rd 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:18:08 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Coming down from Chair 9, stay to the left and traverse a little bit to Gambler. There is one huge snowboard jump in there, but the rest of the run was still nicely groomed and uncrowded late in the day.

Today's report - I ate something that disagreed with me last night so I spent a lot of the night hiccuping and vomiting - not much sleep. I wasn't able to keep even water down. But I felt a little better in the morning, so I tried a few runs at Snow Summit, signed up for next year's pass, made a few more runs, and then went home before noon. The only time I felt good was while actually skiing.

Finally at home I was able to keep some ginger ale down and now I am heating up some chicken soup.
Old March 23rd 12, 12:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:11:01 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

BBBBBBBOOOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGG. Bet you were happy you had diapers handy, freak.
Contact info?

Big Bear 3-24-11 Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 12 March 29th 11 10:59 PM
Big Bear 3-13-11 Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 11 March 15th 11 06:48 PM
Big Bear lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 13 December 29th 10 02:58 PM
Just another day at Big Bear Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 8 January 15th 10 12:22 AM
Anyone been to Bear Mtn yet? stephen enriquez Snowboarding 0 December 2nd 03 08:24 AM