Borovets???

Old November 30th 04, 11:27 AM
mo

Default Borovets???

my mate wants to go here because its cheap, but after looking on 1ski at the
resort overview im not convinced its a good move,,im an intermediate boarder
,I wont use drag lifts and theres only 1 gondola and 3 chair
lifts,,,,comments from anyone who has been please,,,like whats the night
life like and would I be bored after 1day?
Cheers
mike

Old November 30th 04, 02:09 PM
Abairsty

Forget it, try Andorra instead.
Old November 30th 04, 07:04 PM
Rob White

Straight to the point then?
Rob

Old November 30th 04, 09:31 PM
pete devlin

In message , mo
writes
im an intermediate boarder ,I wont use drag lifts

Beginner skiers can! :O)
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old November 30th 04, 10:14 PM
Roy

Borovets??! Nah - you will pull your hair out before a day is out - my wife
went a few years ago and it was great cos her kids were tiny - a real
beginners resort - if you have any flex I'd recommend a last-minute deal in
Austria or France - Andorra is ok but it is exactly what it says on the
label, cheap and cheerful (been there, never again) - the emphasis on cheap,
with mediocre skiing. You can get a last-minute deal (ie within a week of
departure) for about £300 to a good resort, and accommodation with chalet
catering (call it £500 with ski hire and passes) - I've done it 4 times and
was spoilt for choice. For a couple of single blokes there are some great
places in France/Austria - try Courcheval/Meribel/Mayrhofen/Soll - all have
great skiing and boarding (but I reckon Austria is more boarder friendly
with lots of chairs), with more than ample night life. We are currently
organising a DIY holiday in France (for 12 people) and it is working out at
over £300 pph - that's before food and drinks - a chalet-catered hol is
usually inclusive of good food, and drink - in my view it is the best VFM
skiing hol you can get. Wife and I are gonna have a week in March and we
will definitely go last-minute chalet-catered (plus you get to see snow
conditions before you decide). I've always used teletext, there are loads of
companies listed and you will find lots of deals going down.

Roy

Old December 1st 04, 10:51 AM
Carl Edwards

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , mo
writes
im an intermediate boarder ,I wont use drag lifts

Beginner skiers can! :O)

This is something I don't understand... I converted from skiing to boarding
a few years ago and, whereas I agree that drag lifts are a pain, I cannot
see the problem with these that several supposedly "intermediate" boarders I
know have with them! They often end up sliding around nearly crashing into
pylons, fighting the damn thing all the way up... what IS the problem? It's
just like going down, you have weight distribution and edges on your board,
don't you?

A couple of years back in Ellmau, there was a point where we could take a 2
minute steep drag lift over the top of a hill to get to the next valley or
take a tortuous winding path down through the trees (dotted with timid and
idiotic beginner skiiers mainly!) to get to a gondola mid-station and end up
at the same point about half an hour later... Guess which one we had to
keep taking because of the "I'm not using a bloody drag lift" brigade...

Old December 1st 04, 02:58 PM
gbaylis

keep taking because of the "I'm not using a bloody drag lift" brigade...

Can also depend on what foot you lead with - some one elses "nightmare" on a
drag might be due to the camber of the slope just because you found it ok
might mean you were leading with a different foot compared to them, this can
often happen, when one in a group keeps falling
off..............understand?

Old December 1st 04, 07:02 PM
Champ

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:51:57 +0000 (UTC), "Carl Edwards"
wrote:

[...]

As a snowboarder, I don't have a problem with drag lifts at all, but I
know there are some, relatively experienced boarders who do. I
suspect that it's a confidence thing - they fall off a drag a couple
of times, vow not to use them again and then the issue gets bigger and
bigger in their head - the next time they do get on a drag, they
fuller expect to fall off.
--
Champ
Old December 2nd 04, 08:03 AM
Ace

wrote:

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , mo
writes
im an intermediate boarder ,I wont use drag lifts

Beginner skiers can! :O)

This is something I don't understand... I converted from skiing to boarding
a few years ago and, whereas I agree that drag lifts are a pain, I cannot
see the problem with these that several supposedly "intermediate" boarders I
know have with them!

As a snowboarder, I don't have a problem with drag lifts at all, but I
know there are some, relatively experienced boarders who do. I
suspect that it's a confidence thing - they fall off a drag a couple
of times, vow not to use them again and then the issue gets bigger and
bigger in their head - the next time they do get on a drag, they
fuller expect to fall off.

I tried a draglift my very first time on a board, before I'd had any
instruction, and got about 3/4 of the way up before falling (mind you,
it was on a nursery slope) so when, some time later on our second
lesson, we had to use a drag lift to get up to 'proper' (blue) pistes
I was pretty certain I'd be able to manage it. And did.

Jude wasn't quite so lucky, although I think if the bloody lft
operator had given her half a hand she'd have managed better. It was
one of those decrepit ones that always starts you off with a jerk and
was just pulling her over. Eventually, with some help from our
instructor, she managed to get going on her third or fourth attempt.

Once you've had to do it a couple of time to access the intermediate
terrain, it's not too bad, although TBF I don't think we used them
more than twice that day, managing to ski the whole mountain after
that and using the cable cars and chair lifts.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 2nd 04, 08:56 AM
Walter Wright

"Ace" wrote in message

snip
It was
one of those decrepit ones that always starts you off with a jerk and
was just pulling her over. Eventually, with some help from our
instructor, she managed to get going on her third or fourth attempt.

Hey, anyone care to throw in some nominations for their most hated lift?
I'll open the bidding with the Lievre Blanc draglift in La Rosiere, which on
more than one occasion has got me airborne for 10-15 feet from a standing
start. I swear you could easily lose an arm if you weren't careful. Any
other reasons for hating particular lifts are valid too.

Walter

Borovets Almarni European Ski Resorts 3 March 1st 04 07:14 AM
Does Borovets have a snowboard park? Erik Jälevik Snowboarding 0 November 13th 03 05:53 PM