Altitude problems with Diesel Cars?

Old October 8th 04, 07:17 PM
Abairsty

Default Altitude problems with Diesel Cars?

Heard someone mentioning that diesel powered cars struggle at altitude, does
anyone know if this is correct....seeing as im thinking of driving up to val
Thorens?
Old October 8th 04, 07:49 PM
Carsten Muth

I'd say freezing temperatures are more of an issue than altitude.

But unless your car is very old you shouldn't have any problems. Just
recently I have been on the Glockner Hochalpenstrasse (max. altitude
2500m)and the engine did just fine. I have also spent quite some ski
holidays on a resort at 2000m with that car and didn't have any problem at
all.

Old October 8th 04, 08:08 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Carsten Muth :
But unless your car is very old you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm not sure that age matterst hat much either. A few years ago, driving
over the Passo dello Stelvio/Stilfserjoch (the highest ordinary road
pass in Europe at 2748 metres) we saw a load of vintage British cars,
which seemed to be doing just fine. That was near the top, too.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old October 8th 04, 09:33 PM
The Older Gentleman

Abairsty wrote:

Heard someone mentioning that diesel powered cars struggle at altitude, does
anyone know if this is correct....seeing as im thinking of driving up to val
Thorens?

Well, I drove there, and also to Courchevel, in a Citroen ZX
turbodiesel[1], some years back, No problems.

I think someone is pulling your plonker.

Now, severe *cold* nadgers diesels. Like -20 or below. The fuel starts
to solidify - "waxing" they call it.

But that is unlikely to happen in the Alps. Possible, but unlikely.

[1] Funnily enough, one of the nicest cars I've[2] owned.
[2] OK, the company.

--
Trophy 1200 (Doctored) 750SS CB400F CD200 ST70 DT50MX
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old October 9th 04, 08:53 AM
jph

"Adrian D. Shaw" a écrit dans le message de news:

I'm not sure that age matterst hat much either. A few years ago, driving
over the Passo dello Stelvio/Stilfserjoch (the highest ordinary road
pass in Europe at 2748 metres)

Maybe I'm fussy, but isn't it the Iseran a few meters higher ?

JPh

Old October 10th 04, 09:40 AM
David Off

jph wrote:
"Adrian D. Shaw" a écrit dans le message de news:

I'm not sure that age matterst hat much either. A few years ago, driving
over the Passo dello Stelvio/Stilfserjoch (the highest ordinary road
pass in Europe at 2748 metres)

Maybe I'm fussy, but isn't it the Iseran a few meters higher ?

JPh

Dunno but the Col de la Bonette in the southern alps is 2802meters. I've
driven over this in a diesel car.

The only problem with diesel is that it can get very thick in freezing
(-20C) temperatures. I normally park my car in a heated garage in ski
resorts. You should also try to refil with diesel in the mountains as it
has additives to stop it freezing.
Old October 10th 04, 10:26 AM
Ian Spare

Abairsty wrote:
Heard someone mentioning that diesel powered cars struggle at altitude, does
anyone know if this is correct....seeing as im thinking of driving up to val
Thorens?

My girlfriend has a Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDIs which I drive round the Alpes
with no problem at all, mostly that's summer use as I use my own 4wd in
the winter. I've heard of temperature problems with the fuel but I
*thought* that the modern mixes did not suffer from that problem.