Ski Trip from hell!

Old November 10th 03, 02:42 PM
helloblondie

Default Ski Trip from hell!

Hi all

Taking family skiing this yr. Looking forward except 4 trip - i decided to
drive! I enjoy driving so it seemed like a good idea at time. Now i am
wondering a) r my young family up 2 it ? b) can i cope with the inevitable
quarrelling and crying (me!) and c) can my 2 wheel drive car cope? time will
tell.

Anyone have some good, useful tips on how to survive a 1k Km road trip from
Kingston, SW London to Meribel, France with 2 children who love each others
company provide its for no longer than 5 mins, a wife who gets travel sick
looking at a car and in a car which coped badly with a little London snow
last year.

Seriously though any seasoned alpine nomads with advice on taking family
skiing, pass on some of ur (positive) experiences plz.

Bash

Old November 10th 03, 02:56 PM
Rob White

It seems to me that you have answered your own question - you seem to have
the family from hell!! As you are in London, why not get the train from
Waterloo to Bourg St Maurice?

Rob

Old November 10th 03, 02:57 PM
no-one

positive, hummm, ah - you do not have to check in 2 hours before you set
off, and you will all get a window seat!

Old November 10th 03, 03:18 PM
Steve Haigh

helloblondie wrote:
Hi all

Taking family skiing this yr. Looking forward except 4 trip - i decided to
drive! I enjoy driving so it seemed like a good idea at time. Now i am
wondering a) r my young family up 2 it ? b) can i cope with the inevitable
quarrelling and crying (me!) and c) can my 2 wheel drive car cope? time will
tell.

Anyone have some good, useful tips on how to survive a 1k Km road trip from
Kingston, SW London to Meribel, France with 2 children who love each others
company provide its for no longer than 5 mins, a wife who gets travel sick
looking at a car and in a car which coped badly with a little London snow
last year.

Seriously though any seasoned alpine nomads with advice on taking family
skiing, pass on some of ur (positive) experiences plz.

Bash

Can't help you with the family or the travel sickness, but I can
reassure you that 2 wheel drive is fine. You'll need snow chains, but in
my experience in many different cars and vans you can get up any road
that is open provided you have chains and just take your time. The
biggest problem is the gits without chains who may get in your way.

Old November 10th 03, 04:22 PM
helloblondie

Thx steve, the family will be fine when they get over the fact we're not
going to whistler this year.
I guess lots of people do drive so thx 4 the advice, i'm definitely getting
snow chains but which?
Bash

Old November 10th 03, 04:37 PM
Ian Spare

On 10/11/2003 17:22, in article
, "helloblondie"
wrote:

Thx steve, the family will be fine when they get over the fact we're not
going to whistler this year.
I guess lots of people do drive so thx 4 the advice, i'm definitely getting
snow chains but which?

Depends how much you think you'll need them or how long you keep the car. If
you think it's worth the investment then the best I ever had were Rud
centrax like these:

http://www.snowchainwarehouse.co.uk/...d_comfort_cent
rax_snow_chains.htm

Old November 10th 03, 04:38 PM
Steve Haigh

I'm sure there are fancy expensive brands and cheaper non-branded types,
I don't know the difference and so I just go for the cheapest in the
shop, BUT always go for the type that can be fitted without moving the
car - they go by various names but it should be clear from the box that
they can go on without moving the car. They have a fairly stiff cable
loop which you un-clip, feed around the back of the wheel end then
rejoin the ends. The chains then hook up around the front of the wheel
where you can see them, and there is a pulley and ratchet to tighten them.

It all sounds very complicated but it really isn't. There is a nice
animation of what I mean at

http://www.snowchainwarehouse.co.uk/rud_snow_chains_fitting/rud_compact_grip_snow_chains.htm

I have never bought them in the UK before, I've only ever bought them on
the way down in a Hypermarche, never had any difficulty finding them and
I think they are a fair bit cheaper. There are also a lot on eBay so you
may pick up a bargain there [I just did!]. If you have very low
clearance or very wide / large tyres yo may want to get them before you
go as they could be harder to find.

Steve

Old November 10th 03, 04:40 PM
helloblondie

Good idea Rob but if i go by train i'll subject all u nice people 2 "the
family from hell" ( i like that one ).

If we go to the alps next year i will take ur advice but couldn't get places
on the train this time even in first.

Bash

Old November 10th 03, 04:58 PM
helloblondie

thx Bill, i like the idea of an overnight stop, but would have meant missing
boxing day with family.

"Bill Seddon" wrote in message

[...]

Done it with two kids, 5 and 7 at the time, loved it. Overnight stop

just
past Lyon, early start and on the slopes in Val D Isere by 10.
I have a 4 hour drive to Dover as well, but would definitely do it again.
Stops every couple of hours, change of driver, and the kids get to learn
all the French terms for food in the "aires".
I was in a 4 wheel drive, but had chains, I took a snow shovel as well,
and needed it to dig the car out at the end of the week, the snow was

half
way up the windows.

Bill