I have a new camera...

Old March 7th 05, 05:16 AM
The Real Bev

Default I have a new camera...

AstroPax wrote:

Alta Utah, yesterday, 03-05-05.

More or less a test pic until I can get this amazing camera under
control.

Nikon D2X, repeat, Nikon D2X, high speed crop mode (that's 8, repeat 8
frames/sec), VR 70-200mm @ 70mm, 1/1250 sec, f/7.6...somewhere in Main
Baldy Chute, for example:

http://ski.astropax.com/04-05/alta_03-05-05_001.htm

Hmph. Too much detail in the snow and the jacket. The soft titanium
sheen of the helmet is unpleasant. You were definitely robbed.

Sniff. Envy. On all counts.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 7th 05, 02:16 PM
tg

"AstroPax" wrote in message
Alta Utah, yesterday, 03-05-05.

More or less a test pic until I can get this amazing camera under
control.

Nikon D2X, repeat, Nikon D2X, high speed crop mode (that's 8, repeat 8
frames/sec), VR 70-200mm @ 70mm, 1/1250 sec, f/7.6...somewhere in Main
Baldy Chute, for example:

http://ski.astropax.com/04-05/alta_03-05-05_001.htm

-Astro

That's a few pennies of camera there! Don't drop it! 8 frames/sec at
6.8MP! - Nice - how many frames will it burst at that rate before (if?) the
buffer fills up? Is that shooting RAW data files as well? BTW, great detail
in the shot - especially the snow flying in the lower left. Slick.
Tim

Old March 7th 05, 04:31 PM
The Real Bev

AstroPax wrote:

wrote:

8 frames/sec at
6.8MP! - Nice - how many frames will it burst at that rate before (if?) the
buffer fills up?

In the High Speed Crop mode (6.8MP), it will do 8 frames/sec for up to
35 JPEG or 26 NEF frames.

In full rez mode (12.21MP), it will do a healthy 5 frames/sec for up
to 21 JPEG or 15 RAW NEF frames.

It writes to the CF card really fast. I have yet to fill up the
buffer while shooting in either mode.

That's really nice. I hate seeing that damn 'wait' blinky light...

But I need a bigger CF card(s). My 2GB just isn't big enough.

What about the CF hard drives? Type II maybe?

BTW, great detail
in the shot - especially the snow flying in the lower left. Slick.

I agree.

-Astro

Old March 8th 05, 12:27 AM
AH

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
AstroPax wrote:

wrote:

8 frames/sec at
6.8MP! - Nice - how many frames will it burst at that rate before (if?)
the
buffer fills up?

In the High Speed Crop mode (6.8MP), it will do 8 frames/sec for up to
35 JPEG or 26 NEF frames.

In full rez mode (12.21MP), it will do a healthy 5 frames/sec for up
to 21 JPEG or 15 RAW NEF frames.

It writes to the CF card really fast. I have yet to fill up the
buffer while shooting in either mode.

That's really nice. I hate seeing that damn 'wait' blinky light...

But I need a bigger CF card(s). My 2GB just isn't big enough.

What about the CF hard drives? Type II maybe?

Those CF hard drives are pretty slow, and he has to write a hell of a lot of
data quickly.. unless things have changed in the last 6 months..

Old March 8th 05, 12:46 AM
The Real Bev

AstroPax wrote:

wrote:

8 frames/sec at
6.8MP! - Nice - how many frames will it burst at that rate before (if?)
the
buffer fills up?

In the High Speed Crop mode (6.8MP), it will do 8 frames/sec for up to
35 JPEG or 26 NEF frames.

In full rez mode (12.21MP), it will do a healthy 5 frames/sec for up
to 21 JPEG or 15 RAW NEF frames.

It writes to the CF card really fast. I have yet to fill up the
buffer while shooting in either mode.

That's really nice. I hate seeing that damn 'wait' blinky light...

But I need a bigger CF card(s). My 2GB just isn't big enough.

What about the CF hard drives? Type II maybe?

Those CF hard drives are pretty slow, and he has to write a hell of a lot of
data quickly.. unless things have changed in the last 6 months..

The idea of a hard drive only a tiny bit thicker than an ordinary CF
card is mind-boggling.

I just bought a Lexar (linux-friendly) 256M 40x card, hoping that it
would be significantly faster than my Lexar 48M 4x. Nope, it turns out
that the camera has to be new enough to use the new technology that
makes the card faster. No, the CP 800 isn't new enough. Oh well, it's
nice to see that I have 500 400K shots left...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 9th 05, 03:04 AM

In article ,
AstroPax writes:
Personally, I use SanDisk Extreme III CF cards.

I'm so behind the time. I didn't even know they made a III.
Looks like quite an speed bump over the II (which I was going to get
for my D70 because it is about 1/3rd faster than the Delkin pro I
had in my old camera...)

bruno.
Old March 10th 05, 02:12 AM
The Real Bev

"\"bruno\" wrote:

AstroPax writes:
Personally, I use SanDisk Extreme III CF cards.

I'm so behind the time. I didn't even know they made a III.

Me neither. What is it?

Looks like quite an speed bump over the II (which I was going to get
for my D70 because it is about 1/3rd faster than the Delkin pro I
had in my old camera...)

Is Lexar any faster than Sandisk or any of the others?

--
Cheers,
Bev

best camera and camcorder for skiing? peter Alpine Skiing 41 January 4th 05 01:06 AM
Helmet Camera KentB Alpine Skiing 4 December 31st 04 03:49 PM
For Auction: Thermal Imaging Camera - One Day Left sell2all Nordic Skiing 0 April 29th 04 05:44 PM
using digital camera on the mountain Dmitry Snowboarding 14 March 4th 04 03:07 AM
The Daily Camera wamu Snowboarding 4 October 31st 03 07:52 PM