Metal vs Carbon fibre backcountry poles?

Old January 9th 05, 02:30 AM
Keith Beck

Default Metal vs Carbon fibre backcountry poles?

I have worn out my Chouinard Equipment (from before Black Diamond) probe
poles (all aluminum) and would welcome opinions: I am considering the BD
carbon flicklok vs the Traverse (below) vs the Lifelink Variant Probe
(http://www.backcountry.com/store/LIF...ant-Probe-Pole
..html). My focus is whether the all metal LL pole is ultimately more
reliable for extended backcountry touring, as my naive impression is that
carbon is stronger/lighter but breaks instead of bending when it reaches the
critical stress, whereas metal will deform but still get one thru the tour.
Any comments on this issue?

thanks,

Keith