Is skiing reverse camber-rocker tips skis cheating?

Old October 25th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Is skiing reverse camber-rocker tips skis cheating?

On Oct 25, 7:53*am, BrritSki wrote:
On 25/10/2010 17:02, Dave Cartman wrote:

In article
,
* *wrote:

and how about my claim that teleboarding is a new way to ski to
powder?

You are a netkook.

Don't we all know that by now ?

I KFed him years ago. WTF are you all doing replying to him ????

He's funny.
Old October 25th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Oct 25, 2:34 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
snowbender wrote:

You miss read the "light powder," can't read it straight for praising
words, eh?

He was being kind.

Yup, but it doesn't change the fact that you cannot read straight for
praising words.

I've seen the clip. It wasn't powder at all.

I did say that you don't read beyond your skull, right? There's no
clip for that day. Nevertheless, your green MA did fail you miserably
in the past.

You must live in a miserable life, sorry for you.

Your sorry enough for yourself, C-T. Be satisfied with that.

Not a least bit, I don't have to lie through my teeth to pretend to be
knowledgeable, but you do, and fail.

snowbender

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Old October 25th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 25, 12:24*pm, snowbender
wrote:
On Oct 24, 7:30 pm, lal_truckee wrote:

When snowbender joined Vtskier and me for a freshie day at Alpine, he
was using pretty wide boards. In some soft snow conditions wide enough
boards can float using alternate weighting. While I didn't study his
technique (busy leading around the home court) snowbender was doing
pretty good in the Sierra Soft (which isn't however exactly light powder.)

Actually, I would use "surfing" technique to ski powder when powder is
deep enough. Pointing the tips straight down is called "hang ten,"
fun.

Thanks for speaking out,
snowbender

It's also called "wipeout".
Old October 25th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Oct 25, 2:33 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
snowbender wrote:
On Oct 25, 12:56 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
snowbender wrote:

Using two skis as one "board" was one characteristics of
Flatboarding(tm), and I didn't crash,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGIuQcR_Q4k

You nearly lost your balance while you were just traversing (8 seconds
in).

Losing balance is not a problem here given the difficult terrain and

You think that is "difficult terrain"???

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Silly. I did say your green MA doesn't shed the light for you.

Yes, Kirkwood upper mountains, where the extreme skiing competition is
held there annually, are famous for their steepness.

the visibility, the question is whether or not you can recover;
recovery from a mishap without losing the momentum is an important
skill in skiing. You are only nick picking.

I'm pointing out that the great Chai-Tea master can't handle traversing
on an open slope without losing his balance!

That's no biggy, at least I didn't break my knees for it. Btw, how's
your broken knee?

And that isn't powder skiing. When you can hear the cameraman's skis
scraping the hard base beneath, and when you can see your ankles all the
time (pretty much), it's just not powder skiing.

Yup, it was a steep slope, you may hear a few scratches here and
there, nevertheless, what happens where there's no scratch sound,
which is the majority of the run?

When you're running nearly straight on an easy slope, the forces are
very low.

We were talking about "powder skiing," not "forces," didn't we?

No, he said "doing pretty good," you cannot say praising words, can
you?

You must live in a miserable life, sorry for you.

Not the least bit sorry for you, Chai-Tea. You're sorry enough for
yourself.

:-)

Old October 25th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
snowbender wrote:

On Oct 25, 2:31 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
snowbender wrote:

Not just cannot read posts, cannot read thread neither, eh?

I can read fine. That's why I know what I just said is the truth.

No, you don't read beyond your skull; i.e. you only "think" that you
read fine.

No, when
you jumped in, all those clips were in place already.

Which doesn't change the fact that you first presented a clip as being
powder skiing...

No, never did say the first clip was powder skiing. You are trapped in
you bickering little mind.

You said, "here's a technique for powder skiing" and thought that the
way to show that was not to show someone skiing in powder?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Don't see it. There's nothing to interrupt the flow of skis in
untracked powder, what's your problem?

I don't have a problem. I'm merely stating the fact that anyone who
actually understands skiing can also tell you: powder skiing is more
difficult than skiing some other conditions. Therefore it cannot be the
"easiest".

Ok, beyond the groomers, what other conditions is more difficult than
untracked powder skiing?

Breaking crust. Sheer ice. Deep heavy heavy snow.

I think your problem arises because you think that simply skiing a
groomed blue run with a light dusting of powder snow is powder skiing.

It's not.

That's your problem, not mine; I don't cheat myself to pretend I know.

It's not a problem at all. It's just not powder skiing.

Ok, then, 6" to 10" would do. Slap your own face, gapper.

No way. There is no way that 6" of powder snow will support the skier's
weight sufficiently to prevent the skis from contacting the hard base
below. 10" just might if you were skiing fat skis and only making very
gentle turns.

No, just because contacting the hard base below now and then doesn't
nullify the powder skiing; the techniques remain the same. You are
cheating yourself.

It completely nullifies powder skiing technique actually. If you can get
down to the hard base and the snow is powder snow on top, you can pretty
much ski the way you would if the powder snow wasn't present. In real
powder skiing conditions, the same technique that works on a packed
groomer won't work.

--
http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg
Old October 25th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,

snowbender wrote:

You miss read the "light powder," can't read it straight for praising
words, eh?

He was being kind.

Yup, but it doesn't change the fact that you cannot read straight for
praising words.

You can't read what "being kind" means...

I've seen the clip. It wasn't powder at all.

I did say that you don't read beyond your skull, right? There's no
clip for that day. Nevertheless, your green MA did fail you miserably
in the past.

"That day". You're getting even more incoherent, C-T.

You must live in a miserable life, sorry for you.

Your sorry enough for yourself, C-T. Be satisfied with that.

Not a least bit, I don't have to lie through my teeth to pretend to be
knowledgeable, but you do, and fail.

LOL

Old October 25th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,

snowbender wrote:

Using two skis as one "board" was one characteristics of
Flatboarding(tm), and I didn't crash,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGIuQcR_Q4k

You nearly lost your balance while you were just traversing (8 seconds
in).

Losing balance is not a problem here given the difficult terrain and

You think that is "difficult terrain"???

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Silly. I did say your green MA doesn't shed the light for you.

Yes, Kirkwood upper mountains, where the extreme skiing competition is
held there annually, are famous for their steepness.

Sorry, C-T, but they don't hold extreme skiing competitions on the slope
you were skiing.

the visibility, the question is whether or not you can recover;
recovery from a mishap without losing the momentum is an important
skill in skiing. You are only nick picking.

I'm pointing out that the great Chai-Tea master can't handle traversing
on an open slope without losing his balance!

That's no biggy, at least I didn't break my knees for it. Btw, how's
your broken knee?

Great!

And that isn't powder skiing. When you can hear the cameraman's skis
scraping the hard base beneath, and when you can see your ankles all the
time (pretty much), it's just not powder skiing.

Yup, it was a steep slope, you may hear a few scratches here and
there, nevertheless, what happens where there's no scratch sound,
which is the majority of the run?

When you're running nearly straight on an easy slope, the forces are
very low.

We were talking about "powder skiing," not "forces," didn't we?

Forces always exist, C-T. If you actually understood this stuff, you'd
know that.

No, he said "doing pretty good," you cannot say praising words, can
you?

You must live in a miserable life, sorry for you.

Not the least bit sorry for you, Chai-Tea. You're sorry enough for
yourself.

:-)

"Not a least bit, I don't have to lie through my teeth to pretend to
be knowledgeable, but you do, and fail."

Are you quoting yourself?

LOL

Old October 26th 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 10/25/2010 04:48 PM, SkiGuy wrote:
On Oct 25, 8:13 am, wrote:

You don't? Haven't you seen any ski-films lately?? The pros ride much
steeper stuff, go faster and one can see that they "smear" their turns
when necessary. I'm pretty certain the new equipment is instrumental
in making this possible.

"They ski much steeper stuff"? I don't think so. You might want to go
back an check out what was skied on the "old" equipment. Maybe start
with Sylvain Saudan and work your way forward in time to Scott
Schmidt, then show me someone who has skied steeper stuff on their fat
skis. Good Luck!

Agree. People have been skiing hills that are so steep
(how steep are they?), they are so steep that if they
were any steeper, snow could not stick and they wouldn't
be skiable since the late 60's (Saudan) and maybe even
the late 30's (Toni Matt on Tuckerman's headwall or so
we thought) but maybe 1931
http://www.skimuseum.org/page.php?cid=doc108

In this article it mentions Brooks Dodge skiing the
Icefall on Tucks. I'm old enough to have met Dodge in
the 60's.
Old October 26th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

downhill wrote:
pigo wrote:
On Oct 24, 9:00 pm, downhill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

What I have found than on GS ski's and going for speed you lean
forward and drive shins in to front of boots and works well on
eastern firm and hard pack and has horrible results in any powder.

We're talking micro adjustments here. But I feel like I still drive
my shins forward in powder. But there's a feel you get from the tips
flexing upward that you have to be sure not to "overrule".

I use a macro adjustment when it comes to powder take the boots off go
to hot tub. If it is an all day thing would go sledding with my son.
My experience is that it is brutal on my knees and rather opposite
of the skiing I desire to do. In to speed and g-force and smashing
into plastic poles.

I've heard bottomless powder refered to as "old man skiing". Get the rhythm of
it, and it's like floating on a cloud. No jarring, pounding - just smooth gentle
turn,turn,turn. It's a shame Itchie has never experienced it - there's nothing
to compare - until you fall, of course. Sometimes getting up is a real project.

Once you "get" deep powder, at least for me, it's what I always hope for.
There's nothing like 3 dimensional skiing - down to your hips, up to your
ankles, turn, down to your hips.......

Old October 26th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 25, 8:13 am, *wrote:

[...]

Well, Toni Matt didn't really "ski" Tuckerman's headwall. He wsa
running the race in poor visibility conditions and was too far into
the wall to do anything but ride it out once he realized where he was.