Rocker skis again

Old August 20th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

Default Rocker skis again

I was reading a new magazine about skiing and again there was some pro-
dude who said that the new rocker-skis have changed the possible lines
in big mountain skiing (in films) for the better. Rockers allow for
moves that were previously only possible for snowboarders - for
example going straight down in the fall-line (i.e. not turning) in
steep powder with the tips of the skis pointing to one side. That
sounds like a useful extra degree of freedom, where do I sign up??

Old August 21st 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 20, 8:40*pm, twobuddha wrote:
On Aug 20, 9:47*am, Evojeesus wrote:

I was reading a new magazine about skiing and again there was some pro-
dude who said that the new rocker-skis have changed the possible lines
in big mountain skiing (in films) for the better. Rockers allow for
moves that were previously only possible for snowboarders - for
example going straight down in the fall-line (i.e. not turning) in
steep powder with the tips of the skis pointing to one side. That
sounds like a useful extra degree of freedom, where do I sign up??

Valdez.

Hmm...not a bad idea!
Old August 21st 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Evojeesus wrote:
Rockers allow for
moves that were previously only possible for snowboarders - for
example going straight down in the fall-line (i.e. not turning)

aka Heel Scraping. What's the point?
Old August 21st 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 21, 6:45*pm, Walt wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:

Rockers allow for
moves that were previously only possible for snowboarders - for
example going straight down in the fall-line (i.e. not turning)

aka Heel Scraping. *What's the point?

What do you mean what's the point?? The new skis enable one to "surf"
sideways in powder, something that is extremely difficult to
impossible on normal skis. And what the heck is "Heel Scraping"?
Old August 21st 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Aug 21, 11:04*am, Evojeesus wrote:

What do you mean what's the point?? The new skis enable one to "surf"
sideways in powder, something that is extremely difficult to
impossible on normal skis. And what the heck is "Heel Scraping"?

But that's what boarders do BECAUSE they can't ski. Why would anyone
that CAN ski want to do that? It would not matter whether there were
2" or 36" of snow if you were just going to squish it down and stay on
top.

Another case of lowest common denominator I guess.

Old August 21st 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 21, 7:27*pm, pigo wrote:
On Aug 21, 11:04*am, Evojeesus wrote:

What do you mean what's the point?? The new skis enable one to "surf"
sideways in powder, something that is extremely difficult to
impossible on normal skis. And what the heck is "Heel Scraping"?

But that's what boarders do BECAUSE they can't ski. Why would anyone
that CAN ski want to do that?

Well apparently it's useful when skiing down the sides of steep ridges/
flutes...the pros seem to like it.

It would not matter whether there were
2" or 36" of snow if you were just going to squish it down and stay on
top.

I'm interested in the rockers as they're supposedly superior in cut-up
powder and sketchy snow conditions....skiing good powder is already so
dead easy that I don't need new skis for that

Another case of lowest common denominator I guess.

Well yeah it makes skiing off-piste easier again, like the fatties
earlier...
Old August 21st 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Evojeesus wrote:
I was reading a new magazine about skiing and again there was some
pro- dude who said that the new rocker-skis have changed the possible
lines in big mountain skiing (in films) for the better. Rockers allow
for moves that were previously only possible for snowboarders - for
example going straight down in the fall-line (i.e. not turning) in
steep powder with the tips of the skis pointing to one side. That
sounds like a useful extra degree of freedom, where do I sign up??

Are you talking about side-slipping? In powder? What's the point?

Old August 21st 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Evojeesus wrote:
On Aug 21, 6:45 pm, Walt wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:

Rockers allow for
moves that were previously only possible for snowboarders - for
example going straight down in the fall-line (i.e. not turning)

aka Heel Scraping. What's the point?

what the heck is "Heel Scraping"?

Heel scraping is the thing the boarders do where they turn their board
sideways to the fall line and lean back on their heels. Any 2nd day
snowboarder can heel scrape their way down all but the steepest terrain.
It sucks - scrapes all the snow off the hill right down to the boilerplate.

It's basically the same thing as sideslipping on skis, except every
skier knows that sideslipping the hill means you've chickened out and
aren't really skiing it. By contrast, most boarders are clueless about
the heel scrape, spend the day basically sideslipping and then brag
about riding the **** out of the mountain.

From what you say, the rocker skis allow you to sideslip in powder.
Ok. I guess I can see the utility if I find myself facing powder that's
too steep for me to ski, but I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

//Walt
Old August 21st 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Aug 20, 9:47*am, Evojeesus wrote:
I was reading a new magazine about skiing and again there was some pro-
dude who said that the new rocker-skis have changed the possible lines
in big mountain skiing (in films) for the better. Rockers allow for
moves that were previously only possible for snowboarders - for
example going straight down in the fall-line (i.e. not turning) in
steep powder with the tips of the skis pointing to one side. That
sounds like a useful extra degree of freedom, where do I sign up??

For some odd reason, I feel like making a skiing related post.
One of my rep buddies sold me a pair of demo rocker skis last year
dirt cheap, figured I could get rid of them for at least what I paid
for them, so I took him up on the offer.
Dragged them along to Ooootah, tried to ski them in a foot of fresh at
Powder Mountain.
Before anyone wants to remind everyone of the obvious, I am, at best,
a mediocre powder skier. I figured something that was even wider than
the yellow streak down Bob Thompson's back would help. Which it did.
Great performance in the pow, like Lurleen in the sack. No better
than my regular pow skis with actual camber, though.
The problem arose trying to get to the goods (yeah, yeah, that's
always a problem for me). On the groomed, they sucked worse than
Horvath in a men's room. Weaseled around more than Alan Baker. Less
control than Erik Leonard had over his bladder when he saw me in
Fry's. Worse yet, the graphics were uglier than Bev Ashley, and that
is some serious ugly.
Unless you are doing stupid steep faces, generally off a helicopter,
or hiking for damn near all of your turns somewhere that gets mondo
snow, they are usable for about an hour inbounds, then become a
liability.
I figure it is just the latest fad, all the kewl dewds have a pair.
If I felt like adding another ski to my already overstuffed quiver,
for the three days a year friends drag me out to build character, I
would have kept them. But for my needs, a more conventional powder
ski works just fine.
One of the dewds on the lift was seriously impressed. Thought I was
one of the kewl dewds, too. Cried about the model being sold out, he
really wanted a pair. I invited him to name his price. He did.
Skied down, took the money, dug out my regular fatties, and had a much
better time.

PS: took my rep buddy out to dinner at Stein's on the profit, too, so
don't accuse me of ripping him off.

Two Buddha

Vail: No need for the latest fads