curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

Old March 1st 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SpokaneDiscount,,no [email protected]

Default curious whats it like to skate at 34-40 degress spring time?

i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis
Old March 1st 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:37:48 -0800 (PST), "SpokaneDiscount,,no
" wrote:

i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis

Depends on the snow and the overnight temps. If it gets cold at night
and warm in the day, it can be fine.
Old March 1st 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
snowyguy

" wrote:
i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis

Depends on the snow and the overnight temps. If it gets cold at night
and warm in the day, it can be fine.

If you live in an area that sees a crust develop on your snow pack,
you can skate all over and don't need grooming at all. I've done it
on playing fields, golf courses, corn fields, etc. The trick is to
wait until the crust softens in the morning so that it isn't too
slick. You also must have a snowpack that has settled so that the
older it is, the firmer it will be under foot. After the sun melts
the surface into a wet slush at the height of the day, though, your
skating opportunity has passed. Nevertheless, this can be the best
kind of skiing, one with little boundaries or constrictions.
Old March 4th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Blowhardbuster

On Mar 1, 8:49 pm, gr wrote:
SpokaneDiscount,,no wrote:
i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis

Seems like the same applies to classic. With cold night temps, things
are hard and icy, but if you get the timing right (often 10am-12) the
snow softens for great skiing!.
gr

As long as I have track or trackable snow, I can ski classic.
Skating, though, surfaces are limited.
Old March 9th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 29, 10:37 pm, "SpokaneDiscount,,no "
wrote:
i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis

The best case for skating at that temperature is an inch or two of
fresh, wet snow on top of a hard base, or even well groomed grass.
I've skied up over 40F on snow like that.
Old March 16th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
snowyguy

wrote:
i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis

The best case for skating at that temperature is an inch or two of
fresh, wet snow on top of a hard base, or even well groomed grass.
I've skied up over 40F on snow like that.

Actually, I already had something like that this spring.
Old March 18th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

wrote:
i mean if you had a choice you probably would ski below 32deg...but
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis

The best case for skating at that temperature is an inch or two of
fresh, wet snow on top of a hard base, or even well groomed grass.
I've skied up over 40F on snow like that.

Actually, I already had something like that this spring.

Talking to yourself again, Brucie?

snowyguy = blowhardbuster = windsurfer = swiftskier = swiftsailor = a
zillion other aliases
Old March 19th 08, 04:47 PM
Ed Miller Ed Miller is offline
Junior Member

Location: Hailey, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneDiscount,,no [email
what is spring sking like...does any body do it or do we all put away
the skis
I echo what snowyguy said. If conditions are right it can be the BEST type of skiing. Just went down a long 1.5 mile meadow yesterday with humps and sloping sides. Used Fischer Rebound Crowns (a wide, shaped, lightweight touring ski) with NNN BC bindings, and Rossi light weight backcountry boots. Skated down and diag strided back up. Threw in some light tele turns along the sides, turned over moguls, got a little air. You can go anywhere! Its just totally cool. Geese cackling, animal tracks all over, oh yeah! I've done it with skate skis as well, its great training. The Fischer Rebound just enables one to handle so much more diverse terrain and their so light too. I think Atomic makes a similiar lightweight shaped touring ski.
Have Fun,
ps. don't know about 30-40 degree stuff, maybe a little but mostly its 15-30 degree stuff.