A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Metal Brushes? Preparing new ski base

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 11th 08, 08:34 PM

First recorded activity by SkiBanter: Feb 2007
Default Metal Brushes? Preparing new ski base

Hi, I just got a new pair of Salomon Equipe 10 skate skis (warm base, stiff ski) on end of season special and had a question ab. preparing the base.
What brush would you suggest I use to refresh the base before starting the
softwax process? Something that best removes the surface oxidation that
builds up from sitting in the store for 6-12 months and without causing
excessive scratches or damage to the nice factory grind. (fine linear) I have 3 metal brushes,
a Swix T-158 coarse bronze, a Toko copper and a Swix T-159 brass/nylon combi brush. I was thinking of thinking of five or ten passes with the bronze
(I've used this a lot in the past) and then finishing off with copper and
then some fibertex. What about just using the copper alone would that be enough to remove oxidation? its a pretty soft brush! I was also thinking of buying a steel brush, either fine or medium, for this purpose and also to refresh the bases of my other skis from time to time during the season to minimize having to stonegrind them so often. Do you think I should or is what I have sufficient? Also, should the coarse bronze brush be replaced periodically? (its still in far better shape than I've seen in some wax rooms)
Thanks, Ed