newbie pole question

Old January 20th 05, 11:42 AM

Default newbie pole question

I've picked up some used skis and boot but I'm lacking poles. Is there any
reason I would NOT want to use my Leki treking poles with snow baskets?

TIA

Old January 20th 05, 11:47 AM
Jim Kelley

Did you get skating or classical skis? Skating requires longer poles
than classical. I'm not sure how long treking poles are, but my guess
is they are not long enough even for classical skiing. Having a
suitable strap is an important consideration for skiing also.

Old January 20th 05, 05:33 PM

Did you get skating or classical skis?

Classical

"Jim Kelley" wrote in message
ups.com...
Skating requires longer poles
than classical. I'm not sure how long treking poles are, but my guess
is they are not long enough even for classical skiing. Having a
suitable strap is an important consideration for skiing also.

My trekking poles are 55" fully extended which is right where my XC poles
should be if you use the height+30cm rule-of-thumb. Biggest diff I can see
is the snow baskets which are inflexible and not that big (4" dia).

Part of my question is based on my suprise that there aren't more adjustable
ski poles. The trekking pole technology seems aptly suited to ski poles?
On the other hand, adjustable poles might not hold up to the demands of
skiing. I wonder...

Old January 20th 05, 06:20 PM
Camilo

Your trekking poles will work. For skiing in the woods, the baskets may or
may not be big enough depending on the snow depth. For skiing on groomed
trails, they will be OK, but not optimum. The full-round baskets like on
trekking poles and touring ski poles don't work as well on groomed trails as
baskets that are made specifically for skiing. Skiing baskets for groomed
trails are pretty small and are shaped so as not to interfere when the pole
is angled for pushing on packed snow - handle forward, tip backward. But I
ski with people on groomed trails who use trekking poles and they really
don't mind it much at all. I think the grips and straps (assuming your
trekking poles have straps) will be fine.

The other factor is weight. I don't know about yours, but my trekking poles
are very heavy compared to even the cheapest and heaviest ski poles I have.

BUT, just for grins, go to a used equipment store like play it again sports
and see if you can pick up some used ski poles of the correct length. You
might be surprised at how cheap they are.

By the way, I don't understand your "height plus 30cm" reference below.
Regardless, don't pay any attention to such formulas: for starters, simply
size your classic ski poles so that they reach about halfway between your
armpit and the top of your shoulder. If you have a choice, pick them a
little on the tall side (towards the top of the shoulder) because they can
always be cut off very easily.

Camilo

"a" wrote in message
Did you get skating or classical skis?

Classical

ups.com...

Old January 20th 05, 08:05 PM
Andrew Bolger

On 20/1/05 6:57 pm, "a" wrote:

Did you get skating or classical skis?

Classical

"Jim Kelley" wrote in message
ups.com...
Skating requires longer poles
than classical. I'm not sure how long treking poles are, but my guess
is they are not long enough even for classical skiing. Having a
suitable strap is an important consideration for skiing also.

My trekking poles are 55" fully extended which is right where my XC poles
should be if you use the height+30cm rule-of-thumb. Biggest diff I can see
is the snow baskets which are inflexible and not that big (4" dia).

Part of my question is based on my suprise that there aren't more adjustable
ski poles. The trekking pole technology seems aptly suited to ski poles?
On the other hand, adjustable poles might not hold up to the demands of
skiing. I wonder...

In my experience trekking poles tend not to stand up to the rigours of
ski-ing too well. They have a habit of collapsing under pressure. Black
Diamond make adjustable poles with an exterior locking mechanism, which is
supposed to be more robust
andyb

Old January 20th 05, 09:23 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

The two problems with both trekking poles and typical rental poles are
that the grip/strap system is not made for correct poling and that they
are relatively heavy. The biggest drawback for a beginner is usually
the first, altho skiing for a couple of hours can bring the second into
play, too. To pole correctly, you need a strap that allows you to pole
*without* holding onto the pole; i.e., you pull against the strap. Only
on the return forward would your fingers touch the pole, to control and
guide it, and then lightly with only a couple of fingers (I prefer 4-5,
others 1-2). With the vast majority of trekking and rental style pole
grips/strap setups, you are forced to grip the pole all the way through
the cycle, which throws off the poling motion and rhythm, and is
fatiguing.

I tell students that the $40-$60 spent on a lightweight pole with a
wrap-around strap is more than worth the money. There are several now
on the market.

Gene

Old January 20th 05, 09:33 PM
Edgar

I use Black Diamond Traverse poles for back country touring. They are
index marked to 145 cm and can extend up to about 150 cm at max mark.
(My track classic poles are 150 cm but I usually ajust the BDs to 145
for ungroomed tack). I also have Black Dimond trekking poles very
similar to the Traverse ski poles. The BD trekking poles seem to be as
robust as the BD Traverse ski poles and certainly stronger than my Swix
CT track poles. I suspect that trekking poles re basically adjustible
ski poles without the "snowflake" baskets.

If you use trekking poles, you will need to get snow baskets that are
not too large and are flexible. Since the backets are perpendicular to
the shaft, a large stiff basket will cam out of firm snow. The edge of
the basket will force the tip out as the pole rotates forward. (My BD
Traverse baskets are non-symmetrical with a cut-out oriented towards
the front.)

Also, if your trekking poles have springs you should lock out the
spring mechanism.

The biggest drawback to using the adjustible trekking poles is weight.
They are a lot heaver than single piece carbon-glass track poles. The
second drawback is that the handle and straps are really more like
alpine poles.

I use the adjustibles for back country tours because I can shorten them
on the downhills, when skiing in a deep trench or on long traverses.
The aluminum shafts also seem pretty robust and take abuse like falling
on them with a loaded pack. But, if you are skiing groomed track, get
better/lighter single piece poles.

Edgar

Old January 20th 05, 10:56 PM

"Gene Goldenfeld" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks to all for the comments.
I will shop for xc specific poles, and until then I'll use the treking
poles. Looking at both, I can see where the issues of weight, strap/handle,
and basket shape make the treking pole acceptable but less than ideal.

Old January 21st 05, 02:35 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

a wrote:

Many thanks to all for the comments.
I will shop for xc specific poles, and until then I'll use the treking
poles. Looking at both, I can see where the issues of weight, strap/handle,
and basket shape make the treking pole acceptable but less than ideal.

Less put it this way: if you showed up for a class, and the exercises
involved use of poles, the instructor would likely either have you ditch
them or insist that you do no more than drag them and push a little when
the tip caught.

Gene