base grind

Old January 15th 04, 12:10 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default base grind

hey,

Couple of questions. I've got an older board that needs
a base grind. This is the first time I've ever been in
the market for this kind of service. I recall reading
a few years ago in Snowboard Life to be wary of shops
that only use a sander as unless the tech is really good,
disaster can occur. So..

1) Can anybody recommend a shop in central VT, say
Stowe to Killington area that will stone grind, or
at least finishes with a stone and

2) Should I be asking for a particular structure? Is
this even possible?

Thanks

Old January 15th 04, 12:51 AM
Mike T

Couple of questions. I've got an older board that needs
a base grind. This is the first time I've ever been in
the market for this kind of service. I recall reading
a few years ago in Snowboard Life to be wary of shops
that only use a sander as unless the tech is really good,
disaster can occur. So..

This is definitley a matter worth researching. I had a shop screw up
one of my wife's boards, using a Wintersteiger stone grinder. They ran
it through the machine wrong, and ground off too much at the tip, taking
off most of the full-wrap edge and weakening the tip, delaminating it.
It immediately became her rock board... I epoxied it, and it seems to be
holding up OK, but the base is kind of warped. Needless to say that
shop doesn't get my business anymore despite their $25 grind, edge and
wax specials. (PDXers - if you see that $25 special passing through
Sandy on the way to Mt Hood, DON'T DO IT!)

I drive almost an hour into Portland, right past a few other shops, to
have my bases ground by someone I trust. Fortunately I'm getting better
at not dinging up my good boards, and I now have a rock board with the
most indestructible base I've ever seen, so I don't make this trip
often!

1) Can anybody recommend a shop in central VT, say
Stowe to Killington area that will stone grind, or
at least finishes with a stone and

Definitely the right approach - you might ask on www.bomberonline.com
(yeah, the alpine site) as plenty of Vermonters who take top care of
their boards hang out there.

2) Should I be asking for a particular structure? Is
this even possible?

Yes, and yes. In fact this is an excellent way to screen shops - if
they don't want to talk structures with you, don't let them tune your
board.

As for what to get - it really depends on the conditions. Deep,
crosshatch structures will get you across the flats on slush, and a fine
structure will be better for colder snow.

I go for a deep, linear pattern no matter what time of year because I'm
much more concerned with getting across sun-exposed flats than anything
else... when I'm pointed downhill I don't seem to have any trouble
getting enough speed. If I were racing, I'm sure I'd do it completely
differently.

Hope that helps -

Mike T

Old January 15th 04, 02:05 AM
Sean Martin

Mike,

Go see the guys at Out of Bounds in Killington
(http://www.oobsnowboards.com/). Excellent reputation for quality service.

--
Sean Martin
Donek Snowboards Inc.

http://www.donek.com/
phone:877-53-DONEK

Old January 15th 04, 03:44 PM
Jason Watkins

I drive almost an hour into Portland, right past a few other shops, to
have my bases ground by someone I trust. Fortunately I'm getting better

Do you still go to ... the store near broadway bridge? After they
ground Dave's board glass flat I'm starting to wonder about them. I
guess he didn't ask for any structure though. Is there a particular
guy I need to ask for?

It's about time to get that base smoothed out and edges cleaned up now
that the nice snow is gone. I am impressed just how much abuse that
board "you know who" has taken... it's gone over the lava rock more
times than I'd like to admit :/
Old January 20th 04, 05:21 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

While pondering the Universe, (Sean Martin) wrote
:

(
http://www.oobsnowboards.com/). Excellent reputation for quality
service.

Thanks Sean for the heads up (and hope to hear a ship date soon!) and
to Mike T for the info on base structure. As I mentioned, this is
an older board and will only really be used at the start and end of
season. I've always found maintaining speed on flatter sections in
the slush a challenge (even with NotWax!) so will ask for the Aquatread
structure

mike