Heat limit for v2 rollerski wheels?

Old July 17th 03, 03:54 AM
Philip Nelson

Default Heat limit for v2 rollerski wheels?

I have a pair of v2 roller skis, I don't remember the exact model but 900
seems to have been in the series number. In the past, wheels would have
lasted me a year or more but lately, I have gone through 2 sets of back
wheels in the last three months. They both melted down. Today, I could
possibly understand. It was 80 and I was on good blacktop, so there was
some heat on the road. Today it happened while double poling downwind on
the flats. The first set melted down in May and temperature shouldn't
have been a factor.

Anybody else have a heat problem with their v2's. Mine are the wide
wheels, on skating skis?
Old July 17th 03, 11:45 PM
Douglas Diehl

I think you need to be more clear about "melting". Are you talking about
excessive tire wear. Never seen a wheel actually melt down like a candle.
I've owned all the different Jenex V2 wheels e.g. 900's, 800's, Black
Mamba's, and Aero 150 and 125. The 900 series wheels always wore out
significantly faster than Pro Ski wide rubbber wheels and Elpex rubber
wheels. If I'm not mistaken the Jenex 900 wheels are a sythetic rubber,
which doesn't absorb vibration as well as the 100% rubber tires. It's odd
because one would think the harder charactereistics of the Jenex 900 would
make it last longer than a softer wheel, but I found the opposite to be
true. The Jenex 800 series wheels used on skaing models wears super fast
compared to other skating wheels. My friend replaces his Jenex 800 wheels
every other month. Marwe and Pro Ski both have hard narrow wheels which
significantly outperform Jenex 900 and 800 wheels for skating. In fairness
to Jenex their Aero 150 wheels last longer and offer more comfort than any
wheel on the market. To bad this wheel isn't suitable for classic. The Aero
150 is so tall and narrow it is next to impossiblle to classic roller ski
without outriggers. Than again the outriggers add weight and are akward.
news

Old July 18th 03, 03:45 PM
Mike

Philip Nelson wrote in message . ..
When you say "melt", do you mean that the wheel suddenly wears down in
one ski session? Or is the wheel slipping on the wheel axle (which I've
never experienced)?

Yes, melt as in the material near the bearing gets hot and squishes out.
It happens in one session. The tires are not really worn, but end up with
a flat spot that eventually will make the tire fall apart. These are the
softer black "rubber" tires. I seem to remember a lighter colored back
tire, whatever those are made of or could those have been on the proski's
I use to have? Yes, the ProSki tires lasted a lot longer but I like the
brakes on the v2s.

Bizzare. I've heard of that on other rollerskis, but not the Jenex 800
or 900 series. I'd give Len a call at Jenex. Manufacturing defect?
Old July 18th 03, 04:30 PM
daveXCski

I use my Aero 150's for classic in the lawn at a local park. They are
much more stable here than on pavement. It also has better simulation
to snow when driving the leg forward thru the glide phase. Tire wear
is non existant. These are great golf course skis. The poling is much
better in the lawn too. Try it.

Dave

Old July 18th 03, 04:47 PM
Bob

"Philip Nelson" wrote in message
news

When you say "melt", do you mean that the wheel suddenly wears down in
one ski session? Or is the wheel slipping on the wheel axle (which I've
never experienced)?

Yes, melt as in the material near the bearing gets hot and squishes out.
It happens in one session. The tires are not really worn, but end up with
a flat spot that eventually will make the tire fall apart. These are the
softer black "rubber" tires. I seem to remember a lighter colored back
tire, whatever those are made of or could those have been on the proski's
I use to have? Yes, the ProSki tires lasted a lot longer but I like the
brakes on the v2s.

This sounds lilke a bearing problem. If the wheel material at the bearing is
getting soft and squishy then the bearing must be getting very hot. Do these
bearings need to be lubricated? I assume they are "sealed" bearings (little
rubber disks are there to keep dirt out). Is it possible that crud got into
them (e.g. have you been rs-ing in the rain or at the beach?)

I've never used these rollerskis but I hate to see people troublshooting a
problem and missing the obvious sign of where the problem is...

Bob

Old July 18th 03, 04:53 PM
Bob

This sounds lilke a bearing problem. If the wheel material at the bearing
is
getting soft and squishy then the bearing must be getting very hot. Do

these
bearings need to be lubricated? I assume they are "sealed" bearings

(little
rubber disks are there to keep dirt out). Is it possible that crud got

into
them (e.g. have you been rs-ing in the rain or at the beach?)

You may need to clean and re-lube the bearings after any trips through
bearing-unfriendly territory.

Bob
(way behind on my summer training program)

Old July 19th 03, 04:09 AM
Philip Nelson

This sounds lilke a bearing problem. If the wheel material at the
bearing is getting soft and squishy then the bearing must be getting
very hot. Do these bearings need to be lubricated? I assume they are
"sealed" bearings (little rubber disks are there to keep dirt out). Is
it possible that crud got into them (e.g. have you been rs-ing in the
rain or at the beach?)

With these skis, you buy the wheels and bearings as a complete unit and
they are sealed. I'll will take the advice of trying to get some credit
for them. This is the second pair in three months though and this pair
only made a few trips on clean flat blacktop. I've been using the same
wheels for probably 3-4 years without much trouble. Ah well, thats what
we get for not being in a mass market sport ;-).
Old July 27th 03, 01:40 AM
Gary Jacobson

It is "normal" for the viscous liquid to be expelled from the bearings on
Jenex 900 and 800 series roller skis. I believe that through time the loss
of this stuff makes them faster.

I do recall hearing about a problem with tire melt on the 900 or 8000
series, though I never had trouble with that, and I thin it was confined to
certain manufacturing runs. The profile of 900 wheels have changed through
time, and I seem to remember it was the earlier wider tires that had this
,melt problem.

GJ