HeliSki in Europe: where is cheaper or better?

Old October 30th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
NoumenoN

Default HeliSki in Europe: where is cheaper or better?

HeliSki in Europe: where is cheaper (or better)?

@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk wrote on 29/10/07:

I have heard that the Elbrus region
offers good heliskiing at the lowest possible price

Well, it's not exactly the Alps.

But if it's the Caucasus we're talking about, then heliskiing is probably
better in Georgia, in place called "Gudauri". Although I've heard that ski
resort often has problems with electric power (which is supplied from Russian
territory across mountain ridge). And either this supply it's not reliable,
or resort administrators forget to pay bills in time (it's true as well!).
Naturally, hotels have own power generators, but ski lifts may be dead for
days and weeks. Then it's proper time for heliskiing!

I believe Warren Miller filmed some heliskiing there.

and also that their helicopters are also a bit unreliable.

Russian helicopters are quite reliable. However, models they use are just not
made for this, - for heliski you'd need lighter and more manoueuvreable
machines.

It's more like their bloody service is NOT realiable. I was in Elbrus area a
while ago, and either they didn't have fuel then, or their chooper needed
some maintenance, or wheather wasn't good enough, or something else. Finally
when everything was seemingly OK, there HAPPENED to be so-o many people
wishing to heliski, that helicopter was booked solid for few days in a row.
Bummer!

After collapse of Soviet Union everything out there just appear to be going
from bad to worse, with evey year.

--
N.
Old October 31st 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Thanks for the good report on skiing in the Caucasus. A friend of mine
was trying to persuade me to go a few years back but after hearing some
stories about the old military helicopters that were used at the time,
decided against it. It may be worth another look at some pointing the
future.

You are correct Elbrus is not in the Alps, but it is the highest
mountain in Europe, about 800m higher than Mount Blanc.

John

Old October 31st 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:28:46 GMT, "NoumenoN" allegedly
wrote:

However, models they use are just not
made for this, - for heliski you'd need lighter and more manoueuvreable
machines.

I have often heard that, but it didn't really equate to reality in the
Caucasus Mountains. The pilots are extremely good, and sometimes when
there wasn't enough space to land the heli on a ridge, they would just
hover by the side, and we'd all jump out.

Also, given the wind we experienced one day, I'm not sure I'd want to be
in a small flying bubble with a weedy 250cc 2-stroke engine. I've used
them before, and they're not exactly stable. The ex-military machines
were incredible.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

Old October 31st 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Maris

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:28:46 +0100 (CET), "NoumenoN"
wrote:

After collapse of Soviet Union everything out there just appear to be going
from bad to worse, with evey year.

According to FT special report on Georgia today, Georgia is moving
ahead at a great pace.
Old November 1st 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

wrote:

Russian helicopters are quite reliable. However, models they use are just not
made for this, - for heliski you'd need lighter and more manoueuvreable
machines.

That is really not my experience. I've done heli from very small 4
passenger helis and from the big Russian ones. The Russian helis
could easily take 20 people, with gear, but they could put them down
on a postage stamp. I've not seen anything that a small heli could do
that the Russian ones couldn't.
--
Champ