Pilot binding system -- what's the point?

Old August 14th 03, 03:14 PM
Ken Roberts

Default Pilot binding system -- what's the point?

What am I missing out on if I don't skate with a Salomon Pilot binding?

I bought a pair of Salomon Pilot boots a couple of years ago and had a shop
mount a Pilot binding on my best pair of skate skis. I enjoyed the skating,
but after a fun 2-hour workout, the next day this little protruding bone on
my ankle and the skin over it hurt so much I couldn't use them any more. I
got excited about skating again this January, so I tried them again and the
same thing happened. Seems like I just have a strange bone structure. Next
I tried on some other Pilot-compatible boots in stores, but they also felt
like they might have fit problems (maybe my ankle-bond was just
over-sensitive by then) or else didn't seem very supportive compared with
Salomon's boots.

So I took the Pilot binding off my skis myself and went back to the original
Profil binding. This had the advantage of making the skis compatible with
Sharon's boots and with my Combi boots that I use for backcountry skating.
I did a lot of skating for the rest of this winter in my Combi boots --
seemed to work fine.

But in the last couple of months I've been re-thinking my skate technique
(and practicing on rollerskis, which have always only had Profil bindings).
A few times I've noticed that heel of my boot doesn't "land" quite right
into the binding when I make a quick move. And now that I'm working on a
"quicker" skating technique for some terrain situations.

So I'm wondering if lack of a Pilot binding might hold me back on snow --
perhaps even thru some unconscious adjustment I would have made to
compensate for lack of binding performance. Before, I suspected that the
main advantage of the Pilot system was control on downhills and
quick-stepping around curves -- and somehow giving up a bit of that never
bothered me. But now I'm worried that I'm missing out on something to help
me skate _up_ hills -- that does bother me. So . . .

Is the benefit of the Pilot binding mostly on downhills and fast curves? or
is there also significant benefit for other aspects of snow skating?

Ken

Old August 14th 03, 03:28 PM
Bob Creasote

I would say that going fast is not just counted on the uphills and flats as
you also get timed on the downhills and around the corners. The pilots don't
slow you down on the hills do they? I just wish that there was an
equivellant system for classic skis. Pilots kick arse over the profil
bindings for skating. I believe that there is a lot less twisting with the
Pilot bindings and my theory is that this control transfers into more power
to the ground. But then again I am far from experienced....

As for the compatibility issue, that's a bummer and I guess something that
you can't avoid. Sports of any kind are just too expensive. You should try
cycling at a high level (if you're not already). Talk about compatibility
issues. Shimano releases a new dooby wacker and the whole bike stops working
until you buy a new groupset. Skiers are lucky in comparison.

my 2 cents worth anyway.....

Bob