Is there a site that lists ALL known tricks?

Old July 8th 04, 02:40 AM
Jule

Default Is there a site that lists ALL known tricks?

Hi everyone,
I've been boarding forever and I think I may have invented a (rather
modest) trick. Is there a site to look up whether it has been
described before? Or would rec.skiing.snowboard be that place?
Cheers,
Daniel
Old July 11th 04, 05:57 AM
Tiburon27

I've been snowboarding for around for 15 years, describe it and I might be
able to help.

Old July 12th 04, 09:10 AM
Jule

Sandra wrote:
I've been snowboarding for around for 15 years, describe it and I might be
able to help.

Then you'll know the feeling, how since you've grew comfortable on (or
in?) T-bars (probably ages ago) you started fooling around while going
up, on occassion perhaps still falling out if you pushed it too far.

This happened to me when I was riding Mt. Buller in Victoria/Australia
for the first time a week ago. They have some pretty flat T-Bars, and
riding one of them I came up with what may be a new (if modest) trick:

Many people who've boarded a few weeks will probably be comfortable
with riding a threesixty (as opposed to jumping one).
Alone on that non-steep T-Bar I had the idea of trying to ride a 360
while going upwards and holding on to the bar.

1. Riding regular you first hold on to the L end of the T-bar with
your L elbow.
2. Start on the L hand border of the track and go into a sharp R turn.
3. It's now time to grab the L end of the T-bar with your R hand
behind your back.
4. It's crucial to lean downhill while you're now being pulled
backwards.
5. Next it's only a question of unfurling your arm and shoulder to
complete the spin.
6. Do another one straight away or put the bar back into your
favourite position and enjoy the view.

Turning counterclockwise would be easier for goofy riders. A variation
would be to keep riding the T-bar backwards for a while before
completing the turn.
Before you try this you'll probably want to wait for the lift to
empty, so that you can afford to fall out and get back on without
having to queue.

I guess it should be particularly easy for people who are used to
wakeboarding. Otherwise it's a trick for older guys like me, who still
want to ride ambitiously but are scared of screwing up their aging
bones in big airs. problem is, they are becoming rarer, being replaced
with chairs (360 off a chair lift anyone?).

Who knows whether this is truly new, except I've never seen anyone do
it in close to 20years I've been boarding. Think how I've likely spent
DAYS in T-bars, until it took that special set of circumstances on
that very day to come up with this (mind you in former times, we'd
eat, roll cigarettes and smoke to kill time in the T-bar ;-).

Daniel Weyandt
European "veteran snowboarder"
currently Melbourne, Australia
Old July 13th 04, 05:32 AM
Arvin Chang

(Jule) wrote in message . com...
Alone on that non-steep T-Bar I had the idea of trying to ride a 360
while going upwards and holding on to the bar.

I would have called this a flatland 360 butter with a tow rope, but
the wakeboarding page below implies that it would be butterslide 360:

http://www.wakeboarder.com/tricks/butterslide180.phtml

Since tow-rope tricks aren't really common to snowboarding, I'll stick
with the wakeboard name for the trick. Nevertheless, it's not an
insignificant manuever so you should be proud to be able to do it as
it requires a bit of confidence, because if you fail (and perhaps
catch an edge) you are stuck halfway up the hill.
Old July 13th 04, 03:19 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Arvin Chang wrote:

Since tow-rope tricks aren't really common to snowboarding, I'll stick
with the wakeboard name for the trick. Nevertheless, it's not an
insignificant manuever so you should be proud to be able to do it as
it requires a bit of confidence, because if you fail (and perhaps
catch an edge) you are stuck halfway up the hill.

Not to mention all the guys behind you piling into you. I hate people
who **** around on the t-bar.

Neil

Old July 20th 04, 05:55 AM
Jule

Neil Gendzwill wrote in message news:
Not to mention all the guys behind you piling into you. I hate people
who **** around on the t-bar.

On all lifts I've ridden the T-bars were spaced such, that you should
have no trouble vacating the tracks in time in the pretty inevitable
case of falling. A reasonable skier/snowboarder riding the lift behind
you should also be able to skirt around you, even if you just lied
there.
But as I mentioned earlier, you want to try this sort of thing in an
easy and pretty empty lift first!
Another tip I forgot to mention was, to practice flatland 360ies going
down an easy incline with your back foot out of the binding, because
that's how you'll be riding up (most times). Not that hard really.

Cheers,
Daniel

new web site for Exercise Friends ExerciseFriends.com Snowboarding 0 May 18th 04 09:36 PM
new web site for Exercise Friends ExerciseFriends.com General 0 May 18th 04 09:35 PM
Ski partner site Joe H. General 0 April 4th 04 09:43 PM
New site check it out Jessica Snowboarding 0 February 2nd 04 05:46 PM