Distance of the 3 Vallees Route

Old February 21st 04, 04:11 PM
Tommy Petersson

Default Steepest blacks (was Distance of the 3 Vallees Route)

(Adrian D. Shaw) wrote in
:

Yn erthygl ,
sgrifennodd Robert Swindells :
I haven't bought one for years either, but I can remember the Avoriaz
wall usually being on the list along with the run from the top of Mont
Fort in Verbier. I think I have seen Tortin suggested as well.

You mean the "Swiss Wall" down the Swiss side from the top of Avoriaz?
I've skied that - albeit 11 years ago - and I have to say I thought
Titlis was steeper.

Adrian

I haven't skied in Engelberg so I can't compare. Le Mur in
Avoriaz/Chavanette is steep, but it's so wide you know you can always just
ski to the side and stop without any problems. It's also a large difference
between where it's steepest and most bumpy, and at the left side (seen from
the top) where there are hardly any moguls and it's less steep.

/Tommy P.
Old February 21st 04, 04:52 PM
David Off

Tommy Petersson wrote:

But perhaps we could at least list some "famous" black runs?

ok, here are some measurments I've made

la face - Val d'Isere - steepest section 30 degrees. (measured recently
with a clinometer)

1st 50 meters of the tunnel at l'Alpe d'Huez is 35 degrees

sous le télé, courchevel: 35 degrees over the first 110 meters

Old February 22nd 04, 07:46 AM
Tommy Petersson

David Off wrote in
:

Tommy Petersson wrote:

But perhaps we could at least list some "famous" black runs?

ok, here are some measurments I've made

la face - Val d'Isere - steepest section 30 degrees. (measured recently
with a clinometer)

1st 50 meters of the tunnel at l'Alpe d'Huez is 35 degrees

sous le télé, courchevel: 35 degrees over the first 110 meters

Thanks, these figures sounds more believable than most out there. Even
though La Face, right after that "bailing out transport" crosses the piste,
*feels* steeper than that...

The steepest piste in Sweden is around 45 degrees. For 10 meters. That
piste is not at all steep if you measure from top to bottom - 23 degrees I
believe.

The new start of the downhill in S:t Moritz *has* to be very steep, though.
The camera can't lie *that* much? ;-)

/Tommy P.
Old February 22nd 04, 12:18 PM
James Hart

Tommy Petersson wrote:
David Off wrote in
:

Tommy Petersson wrote:

But perhaps we could at least list some "famous" black runs?

ok, here are some measurments I've made

la face - Val d'Isere - steepest section 30 degrees. (measured
recently with a clinometer)

1st 50 meters of the tunnel at l'Alpe d'Huez is 35 degrees

sous le télé, courchevel: 35 degrees over the first 110 meters

Thanks, these figures sounds more believable than most out there. Even
though La Face, right after that "bailing out transport" crosses the
piste, *feels* steeper than that...

The steepest piste in Sweden is around 45 degrees. For 10 meters. That
piste is not at all steep if you measure from top to bottom - 23
degrees I believe.

The new start of the downhill in S:t Moritz *has* to be very steep,
though. The camera can't lie *that* much? ;-)

When I went to Soll earlier this year I took my camcorder with me and took a
small remote lens for it which was mounted on a headband. It looks fabulous
on the TV, everyone in our group was well chuffed to be able to show the
results to the rest of their friends. One day however the lens slipped round
a bit and as a result the horizon was sitting at about 30 degrees, this
looks great on the telly for us as we end up skiing down what looks like a
near vertical slope
One of these http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/helmet_cameras.htm for those that
are interested.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old February 23rd 04, 08:20 AM
Ace

Default Distance of the 3 Vallees Route

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:24:19 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

snip

I suppose if I was conducting some friends around a resort and wished
to make certain of not taking a wrong turning, then a GPS system might
be useful.

It's what we do, and I can't even beging to imagine the ridicule that
would be (rightly) directed at us if a Ski Club rep felt the need for
a GPS to get round on-piste.

I have a seldom-used GPS which was bought mainly for sailing[1] and
cycling. For the latter it's very useful as a constantly moving,
adjustable-scale map, removing the need to change and refold paper
ones, as well as being easier to mount.

[1] Even then, I felt it was cheating, as I was taught how to navigate
properly 25+ years ago.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 23rd 04, 08:20 AM
Ace

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:52:47 +0100, David Off
wrote:

Tommy Petersson wrote:

But perhaps we could at least list some "famous" black runs?

ok, here are some measurments I've made

la face - Val d'Isere - steepest section 30 degrees. (measured recently
with a clinometer)

1st 50 meters of the tunnel at l'Alpe d'Huez is 35 degrees

sous le télé, courchevel: 35 degrees over the first 110 meters

And a couple of mine:-

First steep pitch of 'Aigle' at Flaine/Samoens (as previously
mentioned) - 42 deg.

Top part of 'Grande Pente' in La Plagne - 43 deg, as measured this
week. I'm fairly sure that would be the steepest of the blacks there.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 23rd 04, 10:04 PM
Neil Swingler

The new start of the downhill in S:t Moritz *has* to be very steep,
though.
The camera can't lie *that* much? ;-)

0-130+ in 7 seconds!

--
Neil

Old February 24th 04, 12:02 AM
Alex Heney

On 22 Feb 2004 08:46:15 GMT, Tommy Petersson wrote:

The new start of the downhill in S:t Moritz *has* to be very steep, though.
The camera can't lie *that* much? ;-)

I don't know.

Watching the skiing on 4 coverage of St Anton, the camera angles as
they were going into the Icefalle made that look almost vertical - 80
degrees plus. Which I'm sure it isn't.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Help beautify our dumps. Throw away something pretty.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old February 24th 04, 12:17 AM
Tommy Petersson

Alex Heney wrote in
:

On 22 Feb 2004 08:46:15 GMT, Tommy Petersson wrote:

The new start of the downhill in S:t Moritz *has* to be very steep,
though. The camera can't lie *that* much? ;-)

I don't know.

Watching the skiing on 4 coverage of St Anton, the camera angles as
they were going into the Icefalle made that look almost vertical - 80
degrees plus. Which I'm sure it isn't.

Where's Icefalle?

/Tommy P.

Old February 24th 04, 04:42 PM
James Hart

Alex Heney wrote:
On 22 Feb 2004 08:46:15 GMT, Tommy Petersson wrote:

The new start of the downhill in S:t Moritz *has* to be very steep,
though. The camera can't lie *that* much? ;-)

I don't know.

Watching the skiing on 4 coverage of St Anton, the camera angles as
they were going into the Icefalle made that look almost vertical - 80
degrees plus. Which I'm sure it isn't.

Look at the trees though, they deliberately tilt the camera as they pan to
make it look worse than it is.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Haute Route on board? -V- Snowboarding 5 March 18th 04 11:24 PM
3 Vallees Lift Pass Mike_Chapman European Ski Resorts 30 January 20th 04 10:35 AM
Quickest route Geneva airport to Val D'Isere Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 20 November 28th 03 12:02 PM
Mont Blanc - Grand Mulets Route David Off Snowboarding 2 July 17th 03 08:41 AM