Boot and Binding Sizing - Please Help!

Old November 11th 03, 09:09 PM
Marty

Default Boot and Binding Sizing - Please Help!

ok i'm having a very hard time deciding whether to go with size 10 or
10.5 Burton Drivers 2004 model. I already bought the 10.5's and they
fit very comfortable with very slight heel lift (maybe .5 to .75
inch). When standing my toes very lightly touch the front. If I take
the liner out and put my foot in i can just barely pinch about a half
centimetre of space. My friend has a pair of last years 10's (brand
new) that i have been trying and they definitely fit snugger but my
toes touch a little more. When i take the liner out my toe (big toe)
is right up to the front. After wearing the 10's my feet hurt and
ache a bit from being crampped up. I don't know whether i should
exchange my 10.5's for the 10's cuz i hear that they pack out. Then
again i hear that feet swell when riding. My prior experience is with
Sims Rogue 10.5 and my feet hurt so much (probably from strapping up
too tight) that i wanted to quit riding. That's why i bought the more
expensive Burton Driver. Please any advice would be appreciated so i
can make an informed decision. I have read ALL prior posts and
websites for this topic with little help.

Furthermore my Burton Mission Greed Binding chart says M is 8-10 and L
is 10-15. I bought the L and if I go to a 10 boot should i go with
the M binding instead? Please help!
Old November 12th 03, 01:49 PM
Snowboardripper

I have Burton Ion boot size 9.5 and use the Large binding. It fits
the boot alot better. There is no need to use the gas peddle. Go for
the large, also the staps will fit more over your foot and not crush
your toes.

AS for the boots go for 10.5. If your boots are 2 small you will be
in pain all day and your feet will freeze. What about using a thicker
sock in the boot. Do you still get the heel lift with the boot in
strapped into the binding?

As for "Packing out" most boots are stiff and do not pack out until
they are several years old or you ride them everyday. When they pack
out it is time to get a new set.
Old November 12th 03, 02:45 PM
Mike T

As for "Packing out" most boots are stiff and do not pack out until
they are several years old or you ride them everyday. When they pack
out it is time to get a new set.

I disagree with that statement - every boot I've ever had - Burton, K2,
Shimano, Salomon, Raichle - has packed out to a noticeable degree after
about 7 or 8 days of riding.

Mike T

Old November 12th 03, 07:21 PM
John

I disagree with that statement - every boot I've ever had - Burton, K2,
Shimano, Salomon, Raichle - has packed out to a noticeable degree after
about 7 or 8 days of riding.

Mike T

What does, "packed out" mean when we talk about boots? sorry
guys/gals im new. but want to know as it sounds important.

cheers and thanks.
john
Old November 12th 03, 07:35 PM
Marty

Thanks for your posts. I get about the same amount of heel lift in
both sizes and it's very negligable and i don't even consider it
significant. My feet DO feel much more comfortable in the 10.5 and
although the 10's aren't too bad i am very afraid that my feet will
cramp and get sore and cold.

My regular shoe size for skate shoes is 10.5 if that helps any. I'm
leaning toward keeping the 10.5's but i'm still gonna think about it.

Any further advice is appreciated.

Old November 12th 03, 07:43 PM
Mike T

What does, "packed out" mean when we talk about boots? sorry
guys/gals im new. but want to know as it sounds important.

Glad you asked! Pack-out refers to the liner compressing and therefore
having more volume inside it than it did when new. The same thing
applies to linerless boots. If your boots fit perfectly when they are
new, they'll be too big when they pack out. Some boots with removable
liners can be rejuvenated by throwing the liners in the dryer or an oven
on a certain temperature setting.

Different models pack out differently so it can be difficult to guess
how much they will pack out. My Salomon Malamutes (2001-02) were
half-size too small when I bought them, they fit beautifully after 5
riding days.

Mike T

Old November 12th 03, 08:48 PM
Mike T

My regular shoe size for skate shoes is 10.5 if that helps any. I'm
leaning toward keeping the 10.5's but i'm still gonna think about it.

Any further advice is appreciated.

I personally like my boots snug fitting. I use Salomons and it takes
'em about 5 riding days to pack out and for those 5 riding days I find
myself stopping to rest my feet, often. (I had to return several
pairs of 00-01 Malamutes for warranty and had to suffer this over and
over again - argh! The 01-02's I got them replaced with are still
going strong) But the anatomical details of your foot are different
than mine of course, so I can't say that my choice (go with the smaller
ones) is right for you.

Mike T

Old November 13th 03, 02:30 AM
Marty

Thanks for your tips. I just learning an important lesson. LAST
year's Driver's fit different than this years! They are they exact
same boot and even the liners don't look much different but I guess
they changed the "last" and this year's 10's fit me AWESOME. They are
snug and much less heel lift than my 10.5's and they don't hurt...just
feel snug. I also learned that snowboard socks are wicked!

I took the other dudes advice and kept the L bindings. I'm hoping
these Greed bindings will be sick too.

THANKS!

Old November 13th 03, 11:12 AM
Chet Hayes

"Mike T" wrote in message .. .
My regular shoe size for skate shoes is 10.5 if that helps any. I'm
leaning toward keeping the 10.5's but i'm still gonna think about it.

Any further advice is appreciated.

I personally like my boots snug fitting. I use Salomons and it takes
'em about 5 riding days to pack out and for those 5 riding days I find
myself stopping to rest my feet, often. (I had to return several
pairs of 00-01 Malamutes for warranty and had to suffer this over and
over again - argh! The 01-02's I got them replaced with are still
going strong) But the anatomical details of your foot are different
than mine of course, so I can't say that my choice (go with the smaller
ones) is right for you.

Mike T

I would not call .5 to .75 inchs of heel lift very slight. That much
is more than I would accept in a new pair of boots. It's also likely
to get worse as the boots pack out. Instead of considering different
sizes in the Burton Driver, I would look at other boots, since it
sounds like neither of these fit well. It's not unusual to have a
particular boot model fit awful and then have another model in the
same size from the same manufacturer fit great. There are lots of
boots out there, you need to find the one that works for you.

I recommend trying on boots with a thin sock and getting ones that are
snug, but not uncomfortable. That way, as they pack out, you have the
option of going to a heavier sock later to keep them snug. I'd be
careful about buying a boot where your toes press hard into the ends
and waiting for them to pack out. A slight uncomfortable feeling in
the store can quickly become a living hell on the mountain and the
boots may wind up on ebay.
Old November 13th 03, 04:10 PM
Baretta

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
(Marty) wrote in message

om...
Thanks for your tips. I just learning an important lesson. LAST
year's Driver's fit different than this years! They are they exact
same boot and even the liners don't look much different but I guess
they changed the "last" and this year's 10's fit me AWESOME. They are
snug and much less heel lift than my 10.5's and they don't hurt...just
feel snug. I also learned that snowboard socks are wicked!

I took the other dudes advice and kept the L bindings. I'm hoping
these Greed bindings will be sick too.

THANKS!

"Mike T" wrote in message

.. .
[...]

I'd have to agree with you Chet.

When I bought my first boots I made the mistake of trying them on with my
boarding socks. Felt snug and comfortable in the store but after a week on
the slopes it just got worse. The liner compressed as it got used and ended
up with heel lift (about .5" - .75") The heel lift just lead to loss of
control on inside carves since you had to teeter-totter on your toes. This
also lead to higher pressure on the toes and pain in the foot arches after a
while.