Ski boots as hand baggage

Old February 12th 05, 09:56 AM
Gav

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:12:39 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

You could always wear them during the flight... ;-)

I think they've got that covered in other regulations due to the
safety risk from decreased mobility. See other posts in the thread.

I don't see the problem of just chucking them with the hold
luggage, those things are rugged enough.

Gav

Old February 13th 05, 09:51 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Switters" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:45:04 GMT, "Snorer"
allegedly wrote:

Was told that it could be used as a weapon and was refused.

Virtually anything could be used as a weapon. A ski boot is pretty
unwieldy though. Why don't they just tranquillise everyone as soon as
they step into the departure lounge?

It's not just weapons either - Just back from Selva and one of our party was
told he couldn't take his plastic cable ties (God knows why he had them
anyway).

Old February 15th 05, 12:02 AM
Sammy

Snorer wrote:
Recent flight to Geneva with easyjet one of my party wanted to carry

on a
boot bag. Was told that it could be used as a weapon and was refused.

don't know why he wanted to any way I would have thought it was more

trouble
than it was worth.

Snorer.

Easyjet do not know if they are coming or going:

On a recent flight from Geneva I was ~5kg overweight on check-in and
the easyjet guy suggested I carry my boot bag on board. No problem, it
was a good solution. He didn't seem to think I could or would use my
boots as a weapon.

On another easyjet flight from Geneva I was sitting in the front row
(but not the emergency exit row - that is next to the galley) and I was
asked not to place my fleece on the floor behind my feet. Fair enough.
But I did not want them to put the fleece in the racks either (I
wanted it to hand). I suggested that I would put the fleece round my
shoulders as a compromise. This was unacceptable to the cabin-boy as
they "need to show consistency [in enforcing their rules]". So I put
my fleece back on. This seemed to be OK, no-one lost face, procedures
were followed but I was just a bit warmer than I'd've liked.

Turns out that this particular overly officious strangely-orange-tanned
easyjet cabin-boy was fresh out of training and had absolutely no
common sense. He spent the rest of the flight making mistakes (with
much more serious implications than a loose fleece on the floor) and
bad-mouthing BA in front of the passengers. He also proudly announced
we'd arrived 15 minutes before schedule when his cabin clock was 5
minutes slow, the aircraft still had to taxi for 10 minutes and another
5 minutes passed before the doors were finally opened and we were
released to walk 15 minutes to get to passport control.

On yet another easyjet flight the senior cabin-boy (with an
inappropriately spikey haircut for his age) asked that people turn off
their phones "as there is a high concentration of fuel vapour in the
cabin before take off and mobile phones could ignite it". I think he'd
had too many pro-plus or red bulls, this was the 4th or 5th flight of
his shift.

Sammy

Old February 19th 05, 08:25 PM
Sue

In message .com,
Sammy writes

On a recent flight from Geneva I was ~5kg overweight on check-in and
the easyjet guy suggested I carry my boot bag on board. No problem, it
was a good solution. He didn't seem to think I could or would use my
boots as a weapon.

Use a ski. Hold it by the binding, both hands with gloves on, and swing
it like a broadsword. If it doesn't do serious damage it wasn't sharp
enough.

--
Sue ];(
Old February 19th 05, 09:42 PM
James Hart

Sue wrote:
In message .com,
Sammy writes

On a recent flight from Geneva I was ~5kg overweight on check-in and
the easyjet guy suggested I carry my boot bag on board. No problem,
it was a good solution. He didn't seem to think I could or would
use my boots as a weapon.

Use a ski. Hold it by the binding, both hands with gloves on, and
swing it like a broadsword. If it doesn't do serious damage it
wasn't sharp enough.

Although this method doesn't work for ski jumpers in small aircraft.

Old February 20th 05, 08:28 PM
funkraum

"Nick Hounsome" wrote:
"Switters" wrote in message
"Snorer" wrote:

Was told that it could be used as a weapon and was refused.

Sometimes, I have been tempted to show them that you do not need an
object of any kind to kill someone.

Virtually anything could be used as a weapon. A ski boot is pretty
unwieldy though. Why don't they just tranquillise everyone as soon as
they step into the departure lounge?

It's not just weapons either - Just back from Selva and one of our party was
told he couldn't take his plastic cable ties (God knows why he had them
anyway).

I can only think that they imagine they are to be used to bind a
hostage. Why not just belt, stockings, string ?

People carry cable-ties to seal baggage, repair luggage, but I have
never been asked to leave mine. Many US airports have mail machines on
the way to security where you can mail objects they will confiscate. I
always carry a large synthetic addressed envelope in order to mail
anything which I am being asked to leave.

I would not care if they were smart enough to pick-out the next bunch
of rag-heads intent on massacre but they just are not.