Gloves for wet riding

Old December 28th 05, 01:44 AM

Default Gloves for wet riding

Have much luck with your gloves/mittens when riding in the rain? Got
truly waterproof gloves? How do you dry your gloves when they get
soaked inside?

It was pouring last week when we were at Sierra-at-Tahoe. Snowing at
the top. Anyway my daughter & I use our Gordini gloves that usually
seem reasonably warm. Mine are Goretex/Primaloft, hers Drimax/Hollofil
II. Anyway they both got soaked through. Less warm when soaked, and by
the afternoon we avoided higher elevations to keep our hands warmer.

Another problem is they won't dry. We used to use REI gloves, and we'd
invert their liners when we were done. These gloves don't seem to want
to do that, and it seemed to mess up the REI gloves after awhile.
After several days of hanging up to dry, I turned most of my gloves
inside out, and it was able to squeeze quite a bit more water out. Not
enough for it to dry though.

We tried using a hair dryer on "cool" to dry the gloves, but the hair
dryer quit.

Help!

Old December 28th 05, 01:52 AM

Definetely a problem with all gloves, Gortex or whatever....
Some guys suggest dishwasher gloves under, and at least your hands
only sweat. Me no like.
Other's suggest neoprene gloves like surfers and divers wear. At
least that works on rainy days. Wears out quickly.
Still other smarter peeps say triple plastic bags taped or rubber
banded at the wrists, which works but looks ragged.
My only solution is to stay home, or hit MtRose.

Old December 28th 05, 02:30 AM

Have much luck with your gloves/mittens when riding in the rain? Got
truly waterproof gloves? How do you dry your gloves when they get
soaked inside?

My Outdoor Research mitts seem to stay dry on the inside through anything,
as long as I keep them cinched up. If you want fast-drying, an outer shell
with no absorbeant material and an inner liner than can be thrown in the
dryer is the key.

Mike T

Old December 28th 05, 05:44 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've got some REI gloves as well. They have rubberized palms and a fleece
inner liner. The rubberized part keeps the gloves dry for several hours as
long as the snow isn't melting on the glove itself. Once I get tired of
the water/squishi-ness of the wet liners, I take out the liners and shake
them out. Fleece can hold a lot of water but against the "spin" cycle, the
water readily comes out. Then you have just a barely damp glove and that
lasts for another hour or so. It's not bad actually. I can definitely live
with it, though I'm thinking I might get mitts this year.

-Bruce

Old December 28th 05, 02:50 PM

Go to Sierra Ski and Snowboard in Sacramento or Tri-City in Fremont and
get Burton AK mits on sale. They come with three layers.

Old December 29th 05, 05:50 AM

I suspect some fish stories on this thread.
Year's '97-98, I spent lots of time hanging with SierraAtTahoes ski
patrol and instructors.
EVERY oldtimer swore nothing worked short of changing every 3 hours.
Gortex, don't matter, none of that matters. Water leaks in thru the
seams, no matter what company.
Everyone miserable on 45 degree rainy days, they HAVE to be out
there, and doing it for years.
Remember, it's RAINY, not snowing.
You can dream how great your gloves are, but short of pure rubber
gloves, nothing keeps WATER out.

Old December 29th 05, 11:19 AM

LeeD wrote:
I suspect some fish stories on this thread.
Year's '97-98, I spent lots of time hanging with SierraAtTahoes ski
patrol and instructors.
EVERY oldtimer swore nothing worked short of changing every 3 hours.
Gortex, don't matter, none of that matters. Water leaks in thru the
seams, no matter what company.
Everyone miserable on 45 degree rainy days, they HAVE to be out
there, and doing it for years.
Remember, it's RAINY, not snowing.
You can dream how great your gloves are, but short of pure rubber
gloves, nothing keeps WATER out.

Gore-Tex IS waterproof, and it WILL keep the water out. Quality gloves
made with Gore-Tex are either seamtaped or use a one piece Gore-Tex
insert, so it can't leak in through the seams.

As I mentioned above, a lot of people forget that on rainy days, if you
have the gauntlet over your jacket sleeve like you normally would, your
sleeve will funnel water right into the inside of your glove. Way too
many people forget that and end up with wet hands.

My Outdoor Research gloves are completely waterproof. How do I know
that? I filled a bucket with ice water, put the gloves on, then held
them in the water for 30+ minutes. No leaks and my hands stayed warm
and dry. They haven't let my hands get wet on the slopes yet.