ski recommendation

Old March 1st 11, 03:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Default ski recommendation

On Feb 28, 7:34*pm, down_hill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

I too collect tools (woodworking). They get used.
Some of my power tools
are 40 years old and older. Some of my hand tools
are in the vicinity of a century old. They have
surface blemishes. They do their jobs as well as
they did when they were new. The older tools are usually
of higher quality and have an expectation of
longevity that modern tools don't equal unless you
spend buckets of money for "boutique" tools.

I work with metal, some of my tools in the 40 to 50 year range. Bought
my first miller heliarc machine 30 years ago sold it for 1/2 of what I
paid for it 15 years ago and I point to it when I visit a race shop
because it still works. My new one I paid about the same as I did for
that older machine but I can carry my new machine in one hand it is the
size of a suitcase and will weld 1/4 inch aluminum. My tools get used
and get replaced or supplemented. Lately been adding measuring tools
from enco tools. Two favorites one is a air powered belt sander 3/4 by
18 inch long belt, it enables you to deburr the inside of 1 inch thin
walled square tubing. The other is a quarter inch die grinder that the
head come out at 135 degrees, normally they are straight and 90 degrees.
I have a growing collection, once I week last summer I would pull a pile
of tools dump them in front of intern put a pile of catalogs that
contain descriptions and have him tell me what they were and what you
could do with them. A couple of times he had suggested other uses for a
tool.
I have no problem with a tool being consumed in the process of a
project, I go nuts when I see somebody with my big snapon 1 1/8 wrench
beating it against a piece of metal because he like the sound it makes.

Holy ****, you are one serious dork. Not just a lying piece of ****
coward and stone cold ppppuuuuussssssyyyy, but a true nerd.
Who gives a ****? This is a skiing newsgroup, idiot, not Tool Town.
Old March 1st 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Feb 28, 7:30*pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 02/28/2011 06:00 PM, downhill wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
On 02/28/2011 04:26 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/28/11 10:08 AM, downhill wrote:

That was the point the made me realize that I needed other pair of
skis.

Well, that's always a good result; can't have too many skis.

what he said

Skis are like tools

Skis are tools.

I am a tool collector.

I too collect tools (woodworking). They get used.
Some of my power tools
are 40 years old and older. Some of my hand tools
are in the vicinity of a century old. They have
surface blemishes. They do their jobs as well as
they did when they were new. The older tools are usually
of higher quality and have an expectation of
longevity that modern tools don't equal unless you
spend buckets of money for "boutique" tools.

My first couple of skil saws went about 25 years. I have a drill and
sawzall from Rockwell that are about 35 yrs old now. I suppose my
first Makita chop saw is around somewhere. That thing was sooooo
goddamn heavy and didn't do compound angles. I've gone through a few
little table top table saws because I don't want one of those that
takes 4 guys to move. About 6/7 years ago I got one of those Bosch 10"
one that is bigger than any of the previous ones yet still able to be
handled by myself. I still have my SFN II finish gun. It's 35ish.
Works good. I've bought newer guns because live everything else,
they've gotten lighter.

I still use them all once and awhile. But certainly not daily like I
used to. I'd like to get one of those little impact wrenches. I screw
a lot of things together and they work so differently and better than
a drill it's amazing.
Old March 1st 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

VtSkier wrote:
On 02/28/2011 04:26 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/28/11 10:08 AM, downhill wrote:

That was the point the made me realize that I needed other pair of
skis.

Well, that's always a good result; can't have too many skis.

what he said

Skis are like tools

Skis are tools.

I am a tool collector.

I too collect tools (woodworking). They get used.
Some of my power tools
are 40 years old and older. Some of my hand tools
are in the vicinity of a century old. They have
surface blemishes. They do their jobs as well as
they did when they were new. The older tools are usually
of higher quality and have an expectation of
longevity that modern tools don't equal unless you
spend buckets of money for "boutique" tools.

I bought a hand-crank screwdriver/drill at an antigue shop. It's
perfect for those little jobs where a fine touch is needed so a power
tool would be too much.
Old March 1st 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 08:41:33 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

I bought a hand-crank screwdriver/drill at an antigue shop. It's
perfect for those little jobs where a fine touch is needed so a power
tool would be too much.

Somebody never heard of a variable speed drill with an adjustable
clutch driver. I have several.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old March 1st 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:30:05 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

I too collect tools (woodworking). They get used.
Some of my power tools
are 40 years old and older. Some of my hand tools
are in the vicinity of a century old. They have
surface blemishes. They do their jobs as well as
they did when they were new. The older tools are usually
of higher quality and have an expectation of
longevity that modern tools don't equal unless you
spend buckets of money for "boutique" tools.

My father died a short time ago and I'm in the process of going
through his stuff. He had hand tools that were inherited to him from
his father. Many of the hand tools are over a century old. Many of
the hand saws are too dull to use and are not worth sharpening. Some
screwdrivers are rusty and not worth saving. But there are hand
planes and other tools that are of high quality.

Let me know if you want anything. Most will be tossed in the recycle
bin. I've got lots of jars of rusty nails if you want them.

Old March 1st 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 03/01/2011 06:25 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:30:05 -0500, wrote
this crap:

[...]

Good quality hand planes are usually in fairly
high demand by collectors. I'd try advertising
them if not for profit for yourself at least
so that they get preserved as they should be.

Old hand saws aren't worth much unless they are
of exceptionally good quality and decorative.

I could explain what the rusty nails are good
for except this is a family channel.

Old March 1st 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

wrote this crap:

I bought a hand-crank screwdriver/drill at an antigue shop. *It's
perfect for those little jobs where a fine touch is needed so a power
tool would be too much.

Somebody never heard of a variable speed drill with an adjustable
clutch driver. *I have several.

Sometimes I use my screwdriver to finish. VSR drills are just don't
have the touch you need for fine adjustments.
Old March 1st 11, 11:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 1, 3:39*pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 03/01/2011 06:25 PM, wrote:

[...]

I "inherited" a old hand plane from a former tenant who sold and gave
away a lot of stuff when he moved out so he would have room in his VW
bus for his guitars and stuff.
Old March 2nd 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:39:41 -0500, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

Let me know if you want anything. Most will be tossed in the recycle
bin. I've got lots of jars of rusty nails if you want them.

Good quality hand planes are usually in fairly
high demand by collectors. I'd try advertising
them if not for profit for yourself at least
so that they get preserved as they should be.

I will probably save them, but I'll check on e-bay to see what they're
worth.

Old hand saws aren't worth much unless they are
of exceptionally good quality and decorative.

Since I have a circular saw, a chop saw, a table saw and a saber saw,
I have no use for dull hand saws.

I could explain what the rusty nails are good
for except this is a family channel.

Save the bandwidth, I already know what they are good for.

If you are looking for any dull, rusty, century old hand tools, feel
free to ask. I even have some hand made tool boxes that they are in.

Old March 2nd 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 3/1/11 3:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Old hand saws are collectibles worth money; maybe not a yacht's worth
but surely a dory.

Let me know if you want anything. Most will be tossed in the recycle
bin. I've got lots of jars of rusty nails if you want them.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

Need a Binding Recommendation Xenos Snowboarding 1 December 27th 05 03:28 AM
Mitten Recommendation Rich Heimlich Alpine Skiing 8 December 24th 05 04:09 PM
Sled recommendation Jim Nordic Skiing 2 December 9th 05 11:01 PM
Ski recommendation Arne Aas Backcountry Skiing 3 October 27th 04 08:01 AM
Recommendation? Walt Alpine Skiing 1 December 9th 03 04:38 PM