Sunshine Village/Inn

Old December 11th 03, 02:27 PM
Arsie

Default Sunshine Village/Inn

Hi,
Staying for two weeks in January at Sunshine Inn at Sunshine Village.
Would be great if I had some knowlede on the below items:

1. What standard room is like?
2 Where best to have a room in the hotel
3 Is it expensive for food?
4 Is there much to do at night?

one final one for the wife......will she is the Northern Lights!!!!

Cheers
Arsie

Old December 11th 03, 04:34 PM
stuart

"Arsie" wrote in message
Hi,
Staying for two weeks in January at Sunshine Inn at Sunshine Village.
Would be great if I had some knowlede on the below items:

1. What standard room is like?
2 Where best to have a room in the hotel
3 Is it expensive for food?
4 Is there much to do at night?

one final one for the wife......will she is the Northern Lights!!!!

Cheers
Arsie

The rooms are clean and average. Food is a little on the high side because
they have to ferry it up to the base lodge by truck, up the mountain.
There's one bar next to the rooms. You are fairly isolated up there, it's
several miles to the parking lot below, and to Banff. If you love skiing,
this is a great place to be. I would get incredibly sick of staying up there
after about two nights tho'. Two weeks would drive me nuts, you have around
30 rooms, the main day lodge with the cafeteria, and the bar. That's it.
Probably no more than 50-100 people way up there at nights, in total.

Old December 11th 03, 08:36 PM

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:27:01 -0000, "Arsie"
wrote:

Hi,
Staying for two weeks in January at Sunshine Inn at Sunshine Village.
Would be great if I had some knowlede on the below items:

Rooms ok, food a bit pricey, not much to do... if you like isolation,
Sunshine Village is the place to be. As for being there two weeks,
I'd go insane

Old December 12th 03, 07:18 AM
Arsie

Cheers gus for the info......I do love the skiing and will I hope love being
up their for two weeks!!!

Arsie

Old December 13th 03, 01:51 AM
jzwanenburg

Hi ,
I stayed there for one night and two days nov. 20 / 03 . early season
special ! I live 4hrs drive away and for day trips it's a long day I
enjoyed my stay ! Great early snow but you may want to stay in banff for
some of your stay as on the hill is isolated i'm sure after several
.. .

Old December 13th 03, 09:19 AM
Arsie

I really just go for the skiing boarding!! I get up first thing ski/ride
all day and then bed by 9 - 11!!!
I have booked the hotel for two weeks so looks like I am stuck with
it....looks great conditons!!!

Arsie

Old January 3rd 04, 02:15 AM
Greg

I worked and lived there back in the late 80's / early 90's for about 3
years. I go back there now every year with 10 other friends. We usually go
the last week of February. Sunshine is a fantastic place! There's nightly
entertainment put on by the ski school guys. They usually turn the lights on
Strawberry chair lift for the hotel guests a couple nights of the week...or
at least they did when I lived there :-) It's a lot of fun to go night
skiing there. They used to do this only for the hotel guests and staff. A
favourite event is getting one of the big oval serving trays from the
restaurant and going out tobogganing at night. The gondola is the main
access from the parking lot to the Village. The gondola stays open late on
Friday night till 10:30 so I would advise if you wanted to go into Banff to
one of their many restaurants, that would be the night to do that. The town
of Banff is about a 15 minute car ride from the parking lot at Sunshine. A
taxi will run you about $20 CDN one way. Up at Sunshine, the old log cabin
the middle of the village is a great place to relax at night or for après
drinks. The rooms are very clean and spacious. You can take a virtual tour
of them at www.skibanff.com. Food is on the pricey side but it is excellent!
The Eagles Nest dining room is a 5 star experience. The Chimney Corner
lounge offers lighter fare like burgers and pasta. Mad Trappers offers much
the same. You won't be disappointed with the food at Sunshine!

Hope you have a great time!!!! I'm sure you will....and don't listen to
anyone who says they'd go insane there for 2 weeks. You're in for a real
treat!!!

--
Greg Wyld

Home - 519.886.6002
Cell - 519.575.1111

Old January 4th 04, 07:14 PM
no-one

Greg,

I am heading to Banff for a week on 17 Jan, will be first time skiing in
Canada and looking forward to it. One thing that is a concern is the cold, I
wonder if it will be practical to ski each day. Is it worth buying a full
weeks area pass, or better to buy local passes for each individual day that
we manage to ski?

Old January 5th 04, 12:40 AM
Alex Heney

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:14:56 -0000, "no-one"
wrote:

Greg,

I am heading to Banff for a week on 17 Jan, will be first time skiing in
Canada and looking forward to it. One thing that is a concern is the cold, I
wonder if it will be practical to ski each day. Is it worth buying a full
weeks area pass, or better to buy local passes for each individual day that
we manage to ski?

Don't worry about it too much.

Yes, it may well be a LOT colder than you are used to n Europe, but so
long as you wear an extra layer or two, and don't leave any skin
exposed, you should be OK.

I certainly skied every day on my only trip (so far) to that area,
even though temperatures for the first 5 days (of a 10 day trip) never
got above -20C at the base.

The only time I really felt severely cold was on the last day at
Sunshine, when temperatures were only -12C, but there was a bit more
wind, and I wasn't wearing my thermals. Even then it was only on the
chair up Goats Eye mountain that I felt really cold.

Do be careful about exposed skin though. One long run I did with a gap
of half an inch between my neck warmer and my goggles, my cheeks
actually froze. I didn't quite get frostbite, but it was a near thing,
and I had hard lumps there for nearly a week afterwards.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Q: Why do blondes hate M&Ms? A: They're too hard to peel.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old January 5th 04, 05:26 AM
Richard

Anyone try Whistler this weekend.

I understand it was -27 Celsius at the top with a bit of wind as well.
I suspect that it might have felty a bit chilly. I wisely decided to
stay at home.