newbie - how to size a board?

Old December 7th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
ZenMasta

Default newbie - how to size a board?

I'm 5'6 and weigh 105 with size 8 shoes. From what I have read my
recommendations range from 140-156 but that seems like a too large a gap and
don't want to make an uneducated decision..

I've only been once before on a rental but I would like to get into it maybe
a few times a year.

Old December 7th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
David

ZenMasta wrote:
I'm 5'6 and weigh 105 with size 8 shoes. From what I have read my
recommendations range from 140-156 but that seems like a too large a gap and
don't want to make an uneducated decision..

I'd you expect you to be riding a board on the shorter end of that
range. Maybe in some specific board types you'd go longer.

For lots of boards you can look up the weight range on the
manufacturer's site. I've bought 4: 2 used, 2 new, and I was able to
look up most or all of them. FWIW, I'm 140lbs, and my boards are 154 &
155.

A few people have said that they wouldn't choose to be at the bottom
end of the manufacturer's recommended range for their board.

Old December 7th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

ZenMasta wrote:
I'm 5'6 and weigh 105 with size 8 shoes. From what I have read my
recommendations range from 140-156 but that seems like a too large a gap and
don't want to make an uneducated decision..

I've only been once before on a rental but I would like to get into it maybe
a few times a year.

Well for one thing you are extremely light for your height, so its a
bit tricky as both come into play when picking a board. You weight also
you to flex a board when turning, but as you get taller you are able to
leverage that weight more. In general, I would recommend something in
the 146-150 range for you. Beyond that here are two factors to
consider.

Are you going to gain height/weight soon, if so I would looking for
something in the 150-152 range.

Would you describe yourself as athletic? (play sports like track,
wrestling, hockey) If you have good leg/core strength. I would go for
148-150.

Not to make it too complicated, but board length is not the only factor
in deciding the right board. Board stiffness and sidecut are also
important, however since you are a beginner I wouldn't worry about it
until you have at least 10 days of riding behind you. It is also my
personal opinion that you should *not* buy a freestyle board at the
moment. Go for a freeride board and generally ignore it whenever
someone says "oh, but this freestyle board can also..."

Old December 17th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
ZenMasta

David thanks for your comments. I actually did try many manufacturers
website but I couldn't find any specific guide lines. They had forms to put
in your weight and height but after that it just recommended a spectrum of
boards with no general explanation of what I should actually do.

Hi Lonerider,

Thanks for the info. I knew there was more to it than length but I didn't
know if there is some kind of weight to height ratio that is available to
look at or do people just sort of guestimate this stuff? I do plan on
gaining weight but I am a little and I am out of shape since I have a
deskjob. I was able to handle it when I went once before but my legs were
definitely sorry after the weekend hehe.

And no, I definitely wont be growing any but I am aiming to gain about 10-20
pounds just not sure if this is gonna happen before I go. So, I guess I'll
probably going to for 150 then.

ps.com...

Old December 17th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Steven Slaby

I'd be interested in hearing how height would affect the choice of length
of board? The ability to bend the board is based on your weight and ability?

I was always under the understanding that it was weight. Manufacturer give
a range of weights and then your personal style/preference helps you
choose the specific model?

Steve.