Who makes bindings these days?

Old December 7th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Robert Stevahn

Default Who makes bindings these days?

On 7 Dec 2006 09:05:43 -0800, wrote:

I used to use Flows but switched to Ride SPi's because, oddly enough, I
sometimes found it too hard to get the Flows on. The first foot is
easy, but the second foot, which is inserted at the top of the hill (or
sometimes on the middle of a slope if you have to skate or hike for
some reason), can be tricky. When the Flow "powerstrap" is set tight
enough to make the binding secure when the highback is up, it can be
difficult to wriggle your boot under it.

In my experience, that is too tight and will almost certainly cause
foot pain. You may have had a boot/binding interface issue. I take off
when I get off of the lift and engage the highback as I am riding.

-- Robert
Old December 8th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

According to TWSnow Trade News: Burton sells 60-70% of soft bindings in
the US. If you can't find a binding in their line...... (I prefer the
P1 for all-round riding; Cartel or C60 if you're lookin' for something
stiff). Two year warranty and, hassle free service.

Old December 8th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

56fish wrote:
According to TWSnow Trade News: Burton sells 60-70% of soft bindings in
the US. If you can't find a binding in their line......

I can't. They've dropped their alpine line. Burton can blow me.

Neil
Old December 9th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Dr. Noisewater

Well, my customs broke, and I borrowed a pair of freestyles (which suck
btw) that broke in the exact same place my customs did halfway through
the day. Nidecker has been reccomended to me by people not only in
this group, but at pretty much every shop I've gone to, including the
shops that don't even carry Nidecker! Now to find the best price.

Does anyone know anything about Nidecker boards? What is the story on
the Burton Baron ES?

Thanks.

Old December 10th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Dr. Noisewater wrote:
Well, my customs broke, and I borrowed a pair of freestyles (which suck
btw) that broke in the exact same place my customs did halfway through
the day. Nidecker has been reccomended to me by people not only in
this group, but at pretty much every shop I've gone to, including the
shops that don't even carry Nidecker! Now to find the best price.

Does anyone know anything about Nidecker boards? What is the story on
the Burton Baron ES?

Thanks.

Burton gear often have some really great innovations. However, as I
mentioned in the other post, I have personally experienced more the
usual number of breaks with their gear in the past decade of
snowboarding. I had the toe strap break on an older pair of Burton
custom (rachet spring was dead too). It was replaced, but soon after
the heelcup broke off a small twenty foot tabletop switch. I switched
and rode Clickers for a few years (never a problem with the bindings,
once I broke the plastic in the boot heel). Then I switched back to to
Burton Missions. I liked them a lot but I also broke in the heelcup
within an extended although admittedly I crashed from a much much
bigger jump (a photo I took http://tinyurl.com/vqjeu) that time. Then I
tried some other bindings... I had Salomon SP4s, Catek Freerides
(www.catek.com), and Nidecker 800 Pros... all of them lasted a couple
of seasons with only the rachet pin of the Nideckers strap breaking on
me (was replaced with no charge). Physically picking up and comparing
these bindings to the Burton, you notice that the material is much
thicker and denser and in practice that have made them heavier, but
also more durable. I picked up a set of Burton P1MDs on Ebay. Very
comfy binding, one of my favorites despite is being extremely flexy
(almost too much for serious freeriding). However last season that too
broke on the lead leg FLAD
(http://static.flickr.com/47/113587363_fef416ff41_o.jpg). It was
replaced within a week. This year I got a pair of C60s on sale and have
high hopes for them.

I've only ridden one Nidecker board (Megalight), and I think it is very
well crafted. If you want deals on Nidecker bindings check out
sfosnow.com or backcountry.com at the end of the season.

Old December 10th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

Dr. Noisewater wrote:
Well, my customs broke, and I borrowed a pair of freestyles (which suck
btw) that broke in the exact same place my customs did halfway through
the day. Nidecker has been reccomended to me by people not only in
this group, but at pretty much every shop I've gone to, including the
shops that don't even carry Nidecker! Now to find the best price.

Does anyone know anything about Nidecker boards? What is the story on
the Burton Baron ES?

Thanks.

Dr. Noisewater,

No offense, however, at 220# - the entry level freestyle was a bit
overwhelmed, would have trouble carrying a newbie, let alone an
experienced rider. ES's & anything less than a Cartel is a mismatched
set-up. The board, which we've sold a few of to aggressive bigger-
footed riders has earned rave reviews.