Who makes bindings these days?

Old December 6th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Dr. Noisewater

Default Who makes bindings these days?

Hey cats, I broke a binding today. I'm not too sad, they are some
Burton Customs from like 1998! Anyway never really had any gripes with
the customs, but I am completely out of touch with what is good as far
as gear goes anymore. Suggestions?

Old December 6th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Dr. Noisewater wrote:
Hey cats, I broke a binding today. I'm not too sad, they are some
Burton Customs from like 1998! Anyway never really had any gripes with
the customs, but I am completely out of touch with what is good as far
as gear goes anymore. Suggestions?

What type of riding do you do? Cruising around the mountain or more
park/pipe oriented? How much do you weigh? What is your price range?

Nideckers (800 Pro, 900) are the best heavy duty carving binding in my
opinion, they have a great vibration/chatter reducing layer under the
base that also gives you a little bit of riser (good if you feet are a
little big).

Salomon bindings are almost as beefy as the Nideckers... although I'm
been told the recent Relay bindings are too flexy (by people whoi
really like stiff bindings).

Higher end Burtons (Mission, Cartel, P1 HD/Carbon, C14/C60) are good
but you pay a lot for them.

Rides makes some solid aluminum baseplate bindings (Migs, EX?) for a
good price.

Bent Metal is darkhorse (made by Mervin, which produces Gnu as well). I
want to check them out next.

If you can answer the questions above I can narrow down my suggestions.

Old December 6th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

lonerider wrote:

Rides makes some solid aluminum baseplate bindings (Migs, EX?) for a
good price.

Ride has revamped its bindings lineup for 2006-07 and no longer makes
the Flight series (MiG, Tomcat). The replacement is the MVMNT series
(Alpha, Beta). In recent years the consensus seemed to be that the
sweetspot of the Ride lineup was the SPi -- the lowest priced
pro-quality binding. This year there's a new model, the RX, between the
EX and the SPi. Maybe the RX is the new sweetspot.

I have the 2005-06 SPi's, and they're very solid and secure.

Joe Ramirez

Old December 6th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Dr. Noisewater

I am 6' 3" 220lbs, so big guy, with big feet. I would say I'm probably
after a good all-terrain binding. Mostly resort powder riding. I'm
never in the the pipe, and only occasionaly ride any parks. The only
specialized riding I do is occasional backcountry trips, and even then
it isn't terribly extreme.

Thanks for the help!

Old December 6th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Dr. Noisewater wrote:
I am 6' 3" 220lbs, so big guy, with big feet. I would say I'm probably
after a good all-terrain binding. Mostly resort powder riding. I'm
never in the the pipe, and only occasionaly ride any parks. The only
specialized riding I do is occasional backcountry trips, and even then
it isn't terribly extreme.

Ok, then for you I recommend the following

Nidecker 900 - a excellent carver, very stiff and responsive with a
carbon highback ... it will be a worlds of a difference compared to
your custom. The built in dampening system will soak up chop and
chatter when you hit icy ruts and crud. The built in riser will give
you more leverage and help avoid boot drag (its almost as tall as a
palmer plate). The 800 Pros don't have the tall carbon highback and are
a little bit cheaper.

For slightly cheaper options, I would go with something like the Ride
EX or any of the Salomon SPX series.

I personally wouldn't recommend Burton bindings to you at your
weight... they are pricey and have a tendency to break (a tradeoff they
make for reduced weight). Burton's replacement policy is great, but if
you are doing backcountry riding... having a broken binding sucks. I
also most of the models as flexy models designed for freestyle... with
the old P1HD or P1Carbon and C14/C60 as the noted exceptions (if you
can get those go for it).

Old December 6th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean C

Arvin,

If I may ask you a question in line with the OP...I have a Salomon Link with
K2 v10 plasma bindings that is a great for my freeriding. (See thread from
rss here http://tinyurl.com/yz2ctq). What advantage would I get from
'upgrading' my bindings to something like the Nidecker 900? Less chatter?
Less fatigue?

Thanks for your time!

Sean C

"lonerider" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 6th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Sean C wrote:
Arvin,

If I may ask you a question in line with the OP...I have a Salomon Link with
K2 v10 plasma bindings that is a great for my freeriding. (See thread from
rss here http://tinyurl.com/yz2ctq). What advantage would I get from
'upgrading' my bindings to something like the Nidecker 900? Less chatter?
Less fatigue?

Thanks for your time!

Sean C

I'm not as familiar with the K2 strap line (About ten years ago, I did
ride K2 Clickers, Clicker HB Pro, and Clicker Magmas), but if I recall
the v10 is their midrange plastic binding ($150-180). Yes, you will get
less vibration which will mean less fatigue, but type of snow
conditions you ride in make a big difference too - it will be most
noticeable icy or scrapped hardpack, or refrozen crud. The taller,
stiffer highback will really let you put some power into your heelside
turns, which traditionally is the weaker side for most riders.

I think you will feel that you will have a lot of power and smoothness
in your turns.

"lonerider" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 7th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Dan

I can't beleive nobody mentioned FLOW. Look into them, they're design is
great. easy in and out.
s.com...

Old December 7th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Robert Stevahn

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 04:47:41 GMT, "Dan" wrote:

I can't beleive nobody mentioned FLOW. Look into them, they're design is
great. easy in and out.

The high end carbon models are very stiff and responsive, and not
obscenely heavy though still heavier than strap bindings. Convenience
wins for me -- nobody ever has to wait for me at the top of the hill.

-- Robert
Old December 7th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Robert Stevahn wrote:
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 04:47:41 GMT, "Dan" wrote:

I can't beleive nobody mentioned FLOW. Look into them, they're design is
great. easy in and out.

The high end carbon models are very stiff and responsive, and not
obscenely heavy though still heavier than strap bindings. Convenience
wins for me -- nobody ever has to wait for me at the top of the hill.

-- Robert

I used to use Flows but switched to Ride SPi's because, oddly enough, I
sometimes found it too hard to get the Flows on. The first foot is
easy, but the second foot, which is inserted at the top of the hill (or
sometimes on the middle of a slope if you have to skate or hike for
some reason), can be tricky. When the Flow "powerstrap" is set tight
enough to make the binding secure when the highback is up, it can be
difficult to wriggle your boot under it. I would end up pushing the
whole board around. I figured that if I was going to have to kneel down
awkwardly to get my foot in (can't do it while sitting), I might as
well get strap bindings.

Joe Ramirez