Czech Republic trip report

Old August 5th 03, 06:56 AM
PG

Default Czech Republic trip report

Just back from a week at the 'Hotel Ski' in Nove Mesto na Morave (a
resort in Moravia). Can't really comment on the winter set-up, but it
certainly seemed ideal for cross-country (Langlauf World Cup location,
stadium right in front of hotel).

Amazing to think that this former eastern block nation will be joining
the EU in less than a year. You drive through the back of beyond to get
to this place, past seemingly lifeless, gloomy grey factories springing
up out of nowhere in the midst of green fields and forests, small
villages with traditional cottages and the inevitable adjoining
smallholding next to high-rise Soviet-style residential blocks. Even in
the 3* Hotel Ski prices were very low (eg a large Chivas for 72 Czech
crowns, just over 2 euros?!). I was stuck with full board at £25 per
day - being responsible for a group of teenage French grass skiers, had
to keep an eye on them, the local Czechs appeared to be seriously
lacking in the sense of humour department. Frankly I thought the food
served up was pretty disgusting, although the Austrians at the same race
camp thought the cuisine was great. Pretty similar to their own, in
neighbouring northern Austria, I suppose. Bed was rock hard, but the
accommodation was spacious (in my case an outside bungalow with
kitchenette, fridge/freezer, lounge, big tv, hifi, shower etc all to
myself, the kids all had big rooms each with lounge and tv inside the
hotel). Didn't have the opportunity to eat elsewhere, but the menus
outside a couple of Nove Mesto restaurants included the likes of steak
and chips at roughly 3 euros, 50 cl Czech beer at 20 krona (40 pence!)
and during a couple of shopping trips to the relatively well-stocked
supermarkets (shelves were still relatively empty 5/6 years back, I'm
told) we had plenty of change from a 500 kr (£10) note in filling the
trolley with soft drinks and snacks for the trip back. Away from the
likes of Prague itself you'll find hardly any people who speak English
(a very few speak some German), no signs in anything comprehensible. I'm
definitely thinking of coming back on a less regimented trip before
prices really start to accelerate prior to EU entry, it's a fascinating
place. Virtually every young female who hadn't actually got natural
blond hair seemed to have died it blond. Strange.

If you're into cross-country, enjoy eating indescribable sausage-based
dishes, like your beer and blonds and want a very low budget holiday,
Nove Mesto is the place for you!

Pete

Old August 8th 03, 08:42 PM
Sue

In message , PG
writes

Bed was rock hard,

What, compared to France? That's HARD.

Virtually every young female who hadn't actually got natural
blond hair seemed to have died it blond. Strange.

What colour do they dye it where you are?
Here, it's gotta be bright pillar-box red.

enjoy eating indescribable sausage-based
dishes, like your beer

Please make it winter NOW. It's almost too hot even for beer!

--
Sue ]|(
Old November 6th 03, 06:54 PM
funkraum

"PG" wrote:

[...]
lacking in the sense of humour department. Frankly I thought the food
served up was pretty disgusting, although the Austrians at the same race
camp thought the cuisine was great. Pretty similar to their own, in
neighbouring northern Austria, I suppose. Bed was rock hard, but the

[...]

I think you will find it is a matter of the culinary circumstances to
which one is accustomed. Different blocks of Europe have different
habits and if your metabolism is asking for a different blend of fat /
carbohydrate / protein, then you can feel hungry and irritated. For
example the Anglo-Saxons eat large fried breakfasts with plenty of fat
but these have no equivalent in either the Mitteleuropa block or the
Latin block. Once your metabolism adjusts (a vacation is not long
enough) then all is well.

Old November 7th 03, 08:05 AM
Ace

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:54:14 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

"PG" wrote:

[...]
lacking in the sense of humour department. Frankly I thought the food
served up was pretty disgusting, although the Austrians at the same race
camp thought the cuisine was great. Pretty similar to their own, in
neighbouring northern Austria, I suppose. Bed was rock hard, but the

[...]

I think you will find it is a matter of the culinary circumstances to
which one is accustomed. Different blocks of Europe have different
habits and if your metabolism is asking for a different blend of fat /
carbohydrate / protein, then you can feel hungry and irritated. For
example the Anglo-Saxons eat large fried breakfasts with plenty of fat

Not often, they (we) don't. I mean, I like a nice fry-up as much as
the next man, but it's hardly a typical breakfast, is it? If you had
to generalise, I'd guess that a couple of slices of toast is much more
typical

but these have no equivalent in either the Mitteleuropa block or the
Latin block. Once your metabolism adjusts (a vacation is not long
enough) then all is well.

I don't think this is a major factor, TBH. In general, I'd say the
dietary balance is quite similar across Europe, although there's a
major difference im how we get it.

For example, the French aren't big on vegetables with their main
courses, tending to eat much more salad instead. The more eastern
countries seem to have more of a taste for fatty meat which we Anglos
aren't used to, and often don't serve it with gravy or sauce of any
sort, so again it doesn't match with our norms.

Not sure what the answer is - open your mind, perhaps, and try and eat
more like the locals do?

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old November 7th 03, 09:56 AM
Nigel

I worked in the Czech Republic on contract for 7 months. I frequented
Czech company Canteen every lunchtime . At first it was a bit of a
challenge/survival course but then after a while I thought hell it cant
be that bad. All these fantastic looking Czech woman who worked at the
company were scoffing back the grub with a bottle of Czech Wine or beer
with no obvious side affects . There was actually a salad bar but this
was hardly touched. It was a strict stable diet of Fatty Meat & a plate
or dumplings, Lovely !!!!!

Ace wrote:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:54:14 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

[...]

Old November 11th 03, 01:42 PM
PG

"funkraum" wrote in message
"PG" wrote:

[...]
lacking in the sense of humour department. Frankly I thought the food
served up was pretty disgusting, although the Austrians at the same race
camp thought the cuisine was great. Pretty similar to their own, in
neighbouring northern Austria, I suppose. Bed was rock hard, but the

[...]

I think you will find it is a matter of the culinary circumstances to
which one is accustomed. Different blocks of Europe have different
habits and if your metabolism is asking for a different blend of fat /
carbohydrate / protein, then you can feel hungry and irritated. For
example the Anglo-Saxons eat large fried breakfasts with plenty of fat
but these have no equivalent in either the Mitteleuropa block or the
Latin block. Once your metabolism adjusts (a vacation is not long
enough) then all is well.

Well, I've lost count of the different types of cuisine I've tried out over
the years, and although I can usually eat anything, without a doubt this was
the worst !! It just tasted really bad. I've lived in several European
countries, and the Czechs have definitely shifted the Brits off the bottom
of the culinary league table ...

Pete

Old November 11th 03, 01:45 PM
Ian Spare

On 11/11/2003 14:42, in article
, "PG"
wrote:

Well, I've lost count of the different types of cuisine I've tried out over
the years, and although I can usually eat anything, without a doubt this was
the worst !! It just tasted really bad. I've lived in several European
countries, and the Czechs have definitely shifted the Brits off the bottom
of the culinary league table ...

This brings back memories of a my first ski trip with school to Bulgaria, I
recall the food on the flight and in the hotel was awful. To be fair I also
remember they had an evening at a local restaurant which I think was OK.

Ian

Old November 11th 03, 01:53 PM
Michael MacClancy

"PG" wrote in message

"funkraum" wrote in message
"PG" wrote:

[...]
[...]

Have you ever eaten Dutch or Norwegian food? Try some before putting either
country above the UK in any culinary league table.

Your comment places you quite firmly in the stereotypical narrow-minded,
blinkered, American numbskull category. Is that where you want to be? Do
you want to reinforce people's prejudices?
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 11th 03, 02:25 PM
Steve Haigh

PG wrote:

Well, I've lost count of the different types of cuisine I've tried out over
the years, and although I can usually eat anything, without a doubt this was
the worst !! It just tasted really bad. I've lived in several European
countries, and the Czechs have definitely shifted the Brits off the bottom
of the culinary league table ...

I wasn't aware the Brits were at the bottom of any culinary league
table. What is so wrong with British food? Is it the diversity of
foreign influences such as Indian, Chinese and other European regions
that bothers you, or is it the traditional British dishes?

The only thing I see wrong with British cuisine is that there is not
enough of it and the high streets are over-run with American owned
multinational chains selling high fat, high sugar, high salt and low
flavour rubbish.

Old November 11th 03, 03:17 PM
helloblondie

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message

I wasn't aware the Brits were at the bottom of any culinary league
table. What is so wrong with British food? Is it the diversity of
foreign influences such as Indian, Chinese and other European regions
that bothers you, or is it the traditional British dishes?

The only thing I see wrong with British cuisine is that there is not
enough of it and the high streets are over-run with American owned
multinational chains selling high fat, high sugar, high salt and low
flavour rubbish.

I totally agree guys. British cuisine has not been lower league for a very
long time. On my door step there are Korean, Thai, Chinese, Japanese,
Italian, Arabic, Indian and a British Fish and Chip restautants. We are,
dare I saw it, spoilt for choice. Unfortunately we have our share of "fast
food" chains as well. Even our supermarkets are filled with once exotic
items we could only get at ethnic retailers.
I do understand comments about Czech cuisine though. My uncle works at an
embassy in prague so I visit quite a bit. Thankfully its a beautiful city
and country.