Yogi Berra

Old April 17th 05, 02:51 AM
lal_truckee

Default Yogi Berra

was right.
"It's not over till it's over."

Better than ever, 219 inches of compacted snow, the slopes are corned
up, the mountain is open - particularly the hikes!, and slides don't
start till late afternoon. What could be better?

So: (This is the same query I offer every spring) Where the hell is
everybody? Every resort at Tahoe should be open and packed, particularly
with beginners - easy to learn in warm weather with smooth easy skiing
snow. But most have closed, leaving a few each of which would like more
business. I just don't get it.

Rpt: Hiked out past Grouse Rock on the ridge to Twin Peaks. Found wide
open untracked corn fields and nobody around except us. Marvelous
skiing, easy access, not TOO much work, WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

Old April 17th 05, 02:56 AM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
was right.
"It's not over till it's over."

Better than ever, 219 inches of compacted snow, the slopes are corned
up, the mountain is open - particularly the hikes!, and slides don't
start till late afternoon. What could be better?

So: (This is the same query I offer every spring) Where the hell is
everybody? Every resort at Tahoe should be open and packed, particularly
with beginners - easy to learn in warm weather with smooth easy skiing
snow. But most have closed, leaving a few each of which would like more
business. I just don't get it.

Rpt: Hiked out past Grouse Rock on the ridge to Twin Peaks. Found wide
open untracked corn fields and nobody around except us. Marvelous
skiing, easy access, not TOO much work, WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

LAL,
A couple of my friends are heading in your direction.
Would it be OK for me to give them your contact information.
They are Jody (a lovely lady) and her guy Tony who sell
fire engines for a living. Jody skis at least as well as
I, maybe better.

VtSkier

Old April 17th 05, 05:26 AM
Lisa Horton

lal_truckee wrote:

was right.
"It's not over till it's over."

Better than ever, 219 inches of compacted snow, the slopes are corned
up, the mountain is open - particularly the hikes!, and slides don't
start till late afternoon. What could be better?

So: (This is the same query I offer every spring) Where the hell is
everybody? Every resort at Tahoe should be open and packed, particularly
with beginners - easy to learn in warm weather with smooth easy skiing
snow. But most have closed, leaving a few each of which would like more
business. I just don't get it.

Rpt: Hiked out past Grouse Rock on the ridge to Twin Peaks. Found wide
open untracked corn fields and nobody around except us. Marvelous
skiing, easy access, not TOO much work, WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll be up there at least every other
week, if not more often, until the lifts stop running!

Besides, ski season wouldn't be complete without at least one trip where
the temp goes from 70's (home) to 90's to a balmy 50's for skiing, and
then back

Lisa

Old April 17th 05, 11:58 AM
Gary S.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:51:40 -0500, lal_truckee
wrote:

was right.
"It's not over till it's over."

Better than ever, 219 inches of compacted snow, the slopes are corned
up, the mountain is open - particularly the hikes!, and slides don't
start till late afternoon. What could be better?

So: (This is the same query I offer every spring) Where the hell is
everybody? Every resort at Tahoe should be open and packed, particularly
with beginners - easy to learn in warm weather with smooth easy skiing
snow. But most have closed, leaving a few each of which would like more
business. I just don't get it.

Sometimes it is the "backyard" factor.

People no longer see snow where they live, and assume that ski season
is over. No matter that, as you say, there may be tons of snow at the
places people ski.

Also, I would guess that many skiers are also cyclists, hikers,
paddlers, etc.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old April 17th 05, 05:51 PM

I think it's the "planning" thing. Most people I know have to plan a
ski trip. They don't just go.. They know weeks (or months) in adavnce
when they are going and when spring rolls around there is just no plan
to go. Busy with work, family etc...

Old April 17th 05, 07:15 PM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

[...]

Sure - I'll be around mostly straight through - going flatland for the
theatre Wednesday, and to LA by way of Mammoth (2 days skiing, 2 days
for a Univ buddy bday party) at the end of the month; other than that I
be skiing (Nous sprechen Ebonics aqui.)

Old April 17th 05, 07:43 PM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

[...]

Tony is already in Reno at a conference, Jody is flying Thursday
so you may be hearing from them by Friday is all works OK.

Tony's winter outfit is all black. You would be reminded of a
short Darth Vader. Don't know what he wears in spring. Jody is
taller than Tony, slim and very graceful on skis.

You #'s have been sent to them.

"Nous sprechen Ebonics aqui"!!?!

Thanks,
Talk to you later.

Old April 18th 05, 01:17 AM
pigo

wrote in message
ups.com...
I think it's the "planning" thing. Most people I know have to plan
ski trip. They don't just go.. They know weeks (or months) in
adavnce
when they are going and when spring rolls around there is just no
plan
to go. Busy with work, family etc...

I "just went" for about 20 years. When it got to spring I was ready
for the summer phase. After 100+ days I didn't need to go out and
stretch out a dwindling season. Powder and cold skiing was my
favorite with good (real) corn a close second. But when the season
wound down, I was done.

Between mid Dec. and mid March was when I powered out the days.
That's when I'd get about 80% of them.

Differ't strokes I guess.

Old April 18th 05, 03:02 AM
bdubya

wrote:

was right.
"It's not over till it's over."

Better than ever, 219 inches of compacted snow, the slopes are corned
up, the mountain is open - particularly the hikes!, and slides don't
start till late afternoon. What could be better?

So: (This is the same query I offer every spring) Where the hell is
everybody? Every resort at Tahoe should be open and packed, particularly
with beginners - easy to learn in warm weather with smooth easy skiing
snow. But most have closed, leaving a few each of which would like more
business. I just don't get it.

Rpt: Hiked out past Grouse Rock on the ridge to Twin Peaks. Found wide
open untracked corn fields and nobody around except us. Marvelous
skiing, easy access, not TOO much work, WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

Admittedly, we jumped the gun coming out in mid-April; we didn't get
full-on spring conditions (on the flip side, we did get a last day of
full-on WINTER, which was a nice surprise). We're keeping one eye
on airfares in case there's a window for us to remedy the error.

OTOH, the morels in the Mississippi valley are calling; if we get
lucky, we might be able to cover a mortgage payment with fungus, or
fly to the mountains on fungus....

bw

Old April 18th 05, 04:06 AM
KentB

That is the reason for me. I have to plan ski trips in September or
October. I don't think I can count on snow this late in the year so I just
don't plan them after early March.

Ski some for those of us who can't join you lal.

ups.com...