Skis with concave bases

Old February 11th 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Default Skis with concave bases

On Feb 11, 12:42*pm, Dick G wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:51:44 -0800, The Real Bev

wrote:
On 02/10/11 01:56, Evojeesus wrote:

This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...-patent-pendin....
http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

I don't know about sick, but they're sure ugly.

Fugly

Stop talkinga about your friend Bev that way.
No loyalty amongst freaks, eh?
Old February 11th 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:58:15 -0500, Walt
wrote:

On 2/10/2011 7:10 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/10/11 1:56 AM, Evojeesus wrote:
This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...eat-technology

http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

Not every "innovation" is worth noticing.
GLM skis, anyone?

Right. But some innovations are. Metal edges. Sintered bases. Plastic
boots replacing leather. Composite construction that allows skis to be
torsionally stiff and longitudinally soft. Shorter skis with more
sidecut. Releasable bindings. The DIN scale.

Is rocker a keeper? I don't know for sure, but I can say that turned up
tips have been around as long as skis have been around (a millenia or
so). The designers are now playing around with what geometry of tip
rise is optimal and like anything else they're going to have to go too
far to determine what's optimal. My hunch is that early rise and wide
skis are here to stay, at least for skis that are designed for soft snow
- the question is how wide and how much rocker and my further hunch is
that it'll be dialed back as we understand how much is too much.

Right now everybody is falling all over everyone else to make/buy a ski
that has more rocker and is wider than anyone else. Have fun, guys.

//Walt

Fundamentals of marketing 101
Old February 12th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 02/10/2011 07:10 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/10/11 1:56 AM, Evojeesus wrote:
This is the newest new new thing right now, pretty sick:

http://www.dpsskis.com/blogs/2011/ja...eat-technology

http://www.skinet.com/ski/content/dps-spoon-concept-ski

Not every "innovation" is worth noticing.
GLM skis, anyone?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6905/index.htm

we've been here before. Note that the barrel staves
in questions even had a convex bottom.
Old February 13th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Dick G wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:58:15 -0500,

Right now everybody is falling all over everyone else to make/buy a ski
that has more rocker and is wider than anyone else. Have fun, guys.

//Walt

Fundamentals of marketing 101

Not only marketing it is engineering, the silly little ripxx has 3
gyroscopes and 3 accelerometers and has gps tracking chip. So now you
are able to see differences. What once was theory becomes practice or
becomes more refined as making tires is a black art they are able to
duplicate closer tires due to changes in material handling and measuring
and more accuracy in the chemistry.
I wonder if you can run a simulation on ski's, did a little looking last
night of course you can. I will try to do some reading on it if I can
find some detail.
This year the conference I ran was on data acquisition next year it has
been planned to do it on simulations. Using hardware to recreate the
driving experience many people use IRacing.com but we are also looking
to do part testing simulations of assemblies like shock absorber or
suspension geometry. One of the best was at PRI about 300k for one unit.
Started learning autodesk inventor. Rapid prototype printing is weird
you change a drawing less time than explaining to a machinist what to do
then resend the job. It grows parts at an inch an hour.