Tignes accommodation location

Old December 1st 09, 10:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

Default Tignes accommodation location

Hi this is primarily addressed to Matt Thomas who proved a mine of info last
time we went to Tignes, but if anyone else knows the answer please feel free
to let me know.

We've managed to book a cheap stay in the Chalet Glacier which is described
as being between Lavachet and Le Lac, but I can't find it on any maps - well
I can but ifyouski put it in the middle of the lake! Does anyone have any
idea where it is please?

Link:
http://www.crystalski.co.uk/destinat...94/016894.html

Matt has a good map at
http://www.tignes-lavachet.co.uk/ima...sresortmap.pdf

Thanks

Paul S

Old December 1st 09, 11:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Brian Mc

Paul S PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK wrote:
: Hi this is primarily addressed to Matt Thomas who proved a mine of info last
: time we went to Tignes, but if anyone else knows the answer please feel free
: to let me know.

: We've managed to book a cheap stay in the Chalet Glacier which is described
: as being between Lavachet and Le Lac, but I can't find it on any maps - well
: I can but ifyouski put it in the middle of the lake! Does anyone have any
: idea where it is please?

Yes - as I have stayed in it about 3 years ago. It's is very near where
the Pacquet and Chaudannes lifts set off "down the hill" from Lavachet. It
is near one part of the circular bus route from Lavachet to Le Lac.
From Google maps it may be on Route de La Ferme.

Its back windows overlook the starting point of the two lifts and the road up
to Tignes (which is about 100ft higher at that point)

Old December 1st 09, 11:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Brian Mc" wrote in message
Paul S PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK wrote:
: Hi this is primarily addressed to Matt Thomas who proved a mine of info
last
: time we went to Tignes, but if anyone else knows the answer please feel
free
: to let me know.

: We've managed to book a cheap stay in the Chalet Glacier which is
described
: as being between Lavachet and Le Lac, but I can't find it on any maps -
well
: I can but ifyouski put it in the middle of the lake! Does anyone have
any
: idea where it is please?

Yes - as I have stayed in it about 3 years ago. It's is very near where
the Pacquet and Chaudannes lifts set off "down the hill" from Lavachet. It
is near one part of the circular bus route from Lavachet to Le Lac.
From Google maps it may be on Route de La Ferme.

Its back windows overlook the starting point of the two lifts and the road
up
to Tignes (which is about 100ft higher at that point)

Cheers Brian, got it on the map now! We have a beginner with us so I should
imagine it's only a short walk along the road to the free lift?

Paul

Old December 1st 09, 11:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Brian Mc

Paul S PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK wrote:
: Cheers Brian, got it on the map now! We have a beginner with us so I should
: imagine it's only a short walk along the road to the free lift?

Yes - out the front door and about 50 yards to the foot of the free beginners
lift. There is a stream just behind the chalet so, even though you can see
Pacquet and Chaudennes base stations from the back windows, you have to
go that way to actually get to them - you can ski down to these two
from about the foot of the beginners lift.

Old December 1st 09, 11:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Brian Mc" wrote in message
Paul S PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK wrote:
: Cheers Brian, got it on the map now! We have a beginner with us so I
should
: imagine it's only a short walk along the road to the free lift?

Yes - out the front door and about 50 yards to the foot of the free
beginners
lift. There is a stream just behind the chalet so, even though you can see
Pacquet and Chaudennes base stations from the back windows, you have to
go that way to actually get to them - you can ski down to these two
from about the foot of the beginners lift.

Thanks Brian - a fellow digital-tv group member as well!

Old December 1st 09, 12:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:54:00 -0000, "Paul S" PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK
wrote:

We've managed to book a cheap stay in the Chalet Glacier which is described
as being between Lavachet and Le Lac, but I can't find it on any maps - well
I can but ifyouski put it in the middle of the lake! Does anyone have any
idea where it is please?

Well, Igluski put it off route du lavachet, just up from the Levanna
and right on top of the free chair lift, so that's clearly wrong too.
My best bet, looking at the pictures and descriptions, would be right
next to Paquis and Chaudannes chairs in le Lavachet.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've found it on google maps, and it looks
like I was right.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.471...03358&t=h&z=18

Matt has a good map at
http://www.tignes-lavachet.co.uk/ima...sresortmap.pdf

Looks like it's number 68 on that map, in B5. Must have been renamed.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old December 1st 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Brian Mc

Ace wrote:
: Looks like it's number 68 on that map, in B5. Must have been renamed.

It is either 68 ot 74 on that map!
Old December 8th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 1 Dec, 10:54, "Paul S" PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK wrote:
Hi this is primarily addressed to Matt Thomas who proved a mine of info last
time we went to Tignes, but if anyone else knows the answer please feel free
to let me know.

We've managed to book a cheap stay in the Chalet Glacier which is described
as being between Lavachet and Le Lac, but I can't find it on any maps - well
I can but ifyouski put it in the middle of the lake! Does anyone have any
idea where it is please?

Link:http://www.crystalski.co.uk/destinat.../016894/016894....

Matt has a good map athttp://www.tignes-lavachet.co.uk/images/tignesresortmap.pdf

Thanks

Paul S

Hi,

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but yes - going by the picture on
the website Brian and Ace are correct, it's pretty much next to the
Paquis and Chaudanne base stations on the 'return-leg' of the free bus
between Lavachet and Lac. The free 'Lavachet' lift is a button that is
pretty much next to the Chaudanne and Paquis - just separated by a
tunnel under the road. There's a bus stop at that point as well which
will get you up the hill to Lac in about 1 minute where there is a
magic carpet lift on a very shallow slope that the children usually
use, and the Rosset free beginners slope.

Cheers,

Matt

--
Matt Thomas - www.tignes-lavachet.co.uk
Old December 8th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Matt T" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to one and all for your replies

Ace, do you know how the 2 ski club reps at Tignes work - are they based at
the different bases (Lac & Val Claret) or do they have different programmes
offering different skills or degrees of difficulty?

--
Paul S

Old December 8th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 15:28:03 -0000, "Paul S" PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK
wrote:

Ace, do you know how the 2 ski club reps at Tignes work - are they based at
the different bases (Lac & Val Claret)

No. They're both based in le LAc, social hour at the Alpaka. Meeting
point will switch, normally between the Funiculaire (Val Claret) and
the Aeroski (le lac) on different days, so you need to check in
advance. I'm not sure exactly which times there are two reps there
anyway - last time I was aware of it it was for busy periods only.

or do they have different programmes
offering different skills or degrees of difficulty?

If there are two reps, then in practice they tend to have a slower and
a faster group, although the single program, as published on the
website, will always be adhered to. But for example on intermediate
days the chances are that one group, depending on ability levels, will
do more advanced stuff than the other.

The official line is clear though - the rep must stick to the
advertised standard for the day - so if you just turn up without
pre-registering, assuming there aren't too many for the group, you can
be sure of only doing what the program says if that's what you want.

On which note, it's definitely worthwhile pre-registering and/or
contacting the rep in advance, because it can be very busy. One time I
was there, before the system was tightened up and before there were
two reps, the incumbent rep looked at me in relief when I said hello
and asked plaintively - "please will you take out the fast group for
me? I'm getting 20+ per day turning up and I'm absolutely knackered".I
was happy to oblige, although not in any official capacity of course.
Had a great couple of days with a new bunch of mates.