Burton Vapor

Old December 2nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Gareth Evans

Default Burton Vapor

I've noticed a lot of Burton Vapors being sold on ebay for just under half
their retail value? Where do these people get hold of the boards? I've rung
up most stores and they are selling for around $930 - $950.

Gareth

Old December 4th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Gareth Evans wrote:
I've noticed a lot of Burton Vapors being sold on ebay for just under half
their retail value? Where do these people get hold of the boards? I've rung
up most stores and they are selling for around $930 - $950.

Gareth

Probably purchased them in bulk at the end of last season as retailers
want to drop inventory and sell it at margin (that's my best guess).

Burton Vapors might be an awesome board... but you have to notice they
never actually post the weight of the board to back up their claims. I
found one article in Transworld Snowboarding that mentions that a
Burton Vapor 160 weigh 5.6 pounds. That's pretty light to be sure as
most boards that length weigh over 6.5 lbs. However, my Tanker 04/05
172 weighs 6.1 lbs and the 06/07 Tankers (again nearly half a foot
longer) weighs ~5.2 lbs at most.

They cost nearly as much as the Vapor, but with none of the Burton hype
(the diea that if it's from Burton and it's pricey, it must be good) -
I would demo a Vapor before buying one, because I'm pretty you
shouldn't trust anything you hear or say about the board until you
actually try it yourself.

Old December 7th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Gareth Evans

On Dec 4, 2:13 am, "lonerider" wrote:
Gareth Evans wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information. I'm going to look at some boards this
weekend. The boards I'm most interested in are the Vapor, Custom X or
Ride Timeless. I'm concerned about the strength of the Vapor and how
much punishment a board like this can take? I heard that Burton don't
warranty the use of rails if anything were to get damaged. Also, with
the board being so light, will this make it choppy at high speeds?

Gareth

Gareth

Old December 7th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Gareth Evans wrote:

Thanks for the information. I'm going to look at some boards this
weekend. The boards I'm most interested in are the Vapor, Custom X or
Ride Timeless. I'm concerned about the strength of the Vapor and how
much punishment a board like this can take? I heard that Burton don't
warranty the use of rails if anything were to get damaged. Also, with
the board being so light, will this make it choppy at high speeds?

Probably. Damp and light are difficult design goals to achieve
simultaneously.

Neil
Old December 7th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Gareth Evans wrote:
Thanks for the information. I'm going to look at some boards this
weekend. The boards I'm most interested in are the Vapor, Custom X or
Ride Timeless. I'm concerned about the strength of the Vapor and how
much punishment a board like this can take? I heard that Burton don't
warranty the use of rails if anything were to get damaged. Also, with
the board being so light, will this make it choppy at high speeds?

Gareth

No company officially warranties rail or rock damage (even NeverSummer,
which has a 3 year warranty) the trick is convince them that it
happened just riding on the slopes.

All of Burton's gear is prone to breakage, but they are also very, very
open to replacing their gear (have been known to honor the warranty if
even you did damage you board on a rail). Of course you still have to
ship the board to them and wait for a replacement.

Traditionally lighter board are less stable at speed (all the extra
cf/rubber dampening adds weight). I think you really should demo a
board like the Vapor before deciding (I might just do that just to see
what a $1000+ Burton board is like). The Ride Timeless is an excellent,
solid board... go with that if these vague unknowns about Burton's
highend stuff worries you.

Old December 8th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

All of Burton's gear is prone to breakage, but they are also very, very
open to replacing their gear (have been known to honor the warranty if
even you did damage you board on a rail). Of course you still have to
ship the board to them and wait for a replacement.

Get real dude! I've sold hundreds, really - hundreds, of Burton
boards, boots & bindings. Other than newbies stepping on and, breaking
the toe strap ladders, of Freestyle bindings of the 2005 vintage - I
can count the failures on one foot.

Old December 8th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christopher Cox

56fish wrote:

All of Burton's gear is prone to breakage, but they are also very, very
open to replacing their gear (have been known to honor the warranty if
even you did damage you board on a rail). Of course you still have to
ship the board to them and wait for a replacement.

Get real dude! I've sold hundreds, really - hundreds, of Burton
boards, boots & bindings. Other than newbies stepping on and, breaking
the toe strap ladders, of Freestyle bindings of the 2005 vintage - I
can count the failures on one foot.

Be sure to count mine.

Loved the Mission bindings, but experienced strap breakage (Super cold
weather) and a missing flad.

As posted earlier, Burton's warranty department is excellent and
replaced the items quickly.

Old December 8th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

56fish wrote:

All of Burton's gear is prone to breakage, but they are also very, very
open to replacing their gear (have been known to honor the warranty if
even you did damage you board on a rail). Of course you still have to
ship the board to them and wait for a replacement.

Get real dude! I've sold hundreds, really - hundreds, of Burton
boards, boots & bindings. Other than newbies stepping on and, breaking

So what you are saying is that you are financially invested in making
Burton look good JK

Maybe you don't see many failures because many people contact Burton
directly for replacements.

the toe strap ladders, of Freestyle bindings of the 2005 vintage - I
can count the failures on one foot.

In the last decade, I've had or seen around a dozen breaks in Burton
bindings and boards on the mountain. A bunch of us switched to Salomon
because our sponsor shop offered a better deal on them... and we
noticed that they tended to break less.

Like I mentioned before, it's not really so much that Burton makes weak
gear, but they do try to make lightweight gear... and when you make
thinner/lighter heelcups, baseplates, and highbacks (all their product
spiel mentions how they shave the weight of of their gear) and use
ultra-light balsa wood in your board cores, you are going to have more
of them break on you.

Old December 10th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

Gareth Evans wrote:
I've noticed a lot of Burton Vapors being sold on ebay for just under half
their retail value? Where do these people get hold of the boards? I've rung
up most stores and they are selling for around $930 - $950.

Gareth

Had an ebay addict buddy of mine check the average prices of sold
Vapors. $650-$750 average. Which is right around or, slightly above
wholesale. Given the season so far across
the US - folks are unloading some expensive inventory.