Opinions on softie setup

Old November 27th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Opinions on softie setup

I'm an advanced/expert rider who has been riding mainly plates for the
past couple of seasons. I ride other gear as conditions dictate, and
have worn out all of my old freeride/softie gear, so I'm going to look
at a new setup. My wife (bless her heart) is going to buy me a new
board, and I'll deal with the boots/bindings myself.
I currently ride a Donek Axis 177 with TD1 stepins and Head Stratus
Pros as my main ride, an old K2 Ginsu 163 with the same boot/binding
combo as a backup carver, a K2 Zepplin 163 with HB Clickers and K2
boots (about 5 years old, forget the model) as a freeride board, and I
did ride an OSin 4807 178 with plates until I destroyed it on a rock.
I ride mainly in VT with a trip to Idaho most seasons, and am much more
of an all-mountain carver/freerider than a freestyle park/pipe jibber.
This is going to be my secondary setup; I'll probably ride this 30% of
the time. I find that when I ride with friends or coworkers they can't
keep up with me on plates, plus even in VT we get powder days every now
and then.
I'm 5'8" and 200+ (fat *******) with size 8 feet, so I don't need a
very wide board. I like a longer sidecut generally, though it's not my
primary criteria. I'm looking for something that will let me carve in
softboots, ride powder, and maybe run through the park just to show the
kids that fat bald guys can still go big.

I think I've got the boards narrowed down to the following choices, in
my preferred order:

Donek Incline 164
Prior MFR 168
Arbor Abacus 64
Arbor A-Frame 66
Arbor Element 65
Volkl Selecta 168
NeverSummer Titan 169
Nidecker Platinum 168
Burton CustomX 164
Solomon Burner 172

These boards all appear similar (other than the Abacus, which is a
pintail), but I figured that some of the regulars here would have
ridden several of these and might be able to provide some real-world
feedback.

Also, I need to get a new boot/binding setup, and I am woefully out of
touch with what the top gear is now. As a plate rider I obviously like
stiff boots, but I'm hoping to get something that's comfortable and
doesn't kill my feet. My Heads are finally comfortable after several
fitting sessions and custom footbeds (thanks to the fine folks at the
Starting Gate).
I've decided that based on market forces, stepins aren't much of an
option, unless I go the Flow route, and I'm not sure I want the extra
weight. I have wide feet (EEE), and have always had a problem with the
toe straps, so I'm strongly leaning towards bindings with toe cups. I
would appreciate any feedback on that decision.
I know that several folks here have liked the old Solomon Malamutes,
and I've seen good reviews of the F22/F24, but am open to any
suggestions.

Finally, I have infant twin boys, so I won't get nearly as much slope
time as I would like, so I am probably willing to sacrifice a bit of
performance for something that is going to fit and work well without
numerous tweaking sessions.

Jeremiah

Old November 27th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't recommend the Incline model for powder as they are just too
narrow and you sink a lot (I had an Incline 155 am I'm 5'9" 150 lbs,
size 7.5 feet), the stiffness makes it a little bit of a chore to
handle in the trees as well. Either go with the Phoenix (I had the 155
model) or the Wide mode if you want to be able to ride some powder.
Both would work well for your needs.

The Prior MFR is a possibility. It is a very different feel than a
Donek, much more dampened and plush a ride. Floats in powder well. It
doesn't have quite as much grip on ice though. Being a lighter rider, I
liked the dampening in them compared to the Doneks.

Tanker is another option. I ride a Tanker 172 right now, but I bet you
could ride anything between 182-200cm boards. You can find their boards
at Hardbooter.com or Exoticboards.com. They again are longboard made
for going faster, riding, powder, although I've hit the park with them
and they are totally capable their too.

Finally, my favorite boards currently are the Madd boards
(
http://www.madd1.com/home.htm). I love the Madd TT158 (also have a
Madd 170 alpine board). It is an awesome carving board, great in the
park, and still floats pretty well (for my weight) in powder. Madds are
know for their exceptional edgehold, particularly on ice. For you the
BX 168 would be ideal, although you are going to again leave everyone
in the dust with that board (maybe FS/FR 162 might be more playful). If
you are interested, email them as I know they give demo's in the New
England area. They have a deal right now if you buy an freeride board,
you can get a pair of TD2/Cateks/F2 plate bindings for 50% off (free if
you get an alpine board). Deal ends this Wednesday.

[...]

Bindings

Historically, wide feet don't work with Salomon boots. I have narrow
feet and like my Malamutes, which makes me think they aren't going to
fit you (worth a try). Otherwise try Burton Driver X or maybe DC Shoes
Allegiance boots.

Finally, I have infant twin boys, so I won't get nearly as much slope
time as I would like, so I am probably willing to sacrifice a bit of
performance for something that is going to fit and work well without
numerous tweaking sessions.

Well that pretty much invalidate the Catek Freerides, as it will take
several rides to tweak them to you liking (they will be different from
your plate binding cant/lift settings). I would suggest Nidecker 900 or
800 Pros (I have the 800 Pros) or Burton C60. Those both are pretty
stiff strap bindings. The Nideckers are more solid and dampened with
the LDS pad, the Burton is lighter and has toecap straps (the nidecker
toestraps are a hybrid cap strap that's kind of a mix between the
traditional and toecap design).

Old November 27th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jrobb

My .02 the A-Frame is a great freeride board. It kills everywhere but
in deep powder due to it's stiffness, short nose, and narrow width. It
eats ice for breakfast and has amazing edge hold. It's damp and stable
even up to ludicrous speed...after that well it's all just ludicrous.
At your size, I'd look at the 170 in the A-Frame if you go that route.
You'll like the extra edge there and length for what little float it
has in powder. If you get no more pow than 1.5 ft It'll be
fine...deeper and throw in trees and you may wish you got the Abacus.

For the ice coast rider and occasional powder hound it would bring many
a smile to your chubby face . The stiff tail is a hindrance if
you're trying to ollie or pop off jumps, but just ride the kickers out
and you have a stable landing platform. I prefer a narrower stance on
it to soften up the tail a tad for less of a blast through it all type
of ride.

Bindings, I'll second the Nidecker Pro800's. or the 900 (carbon). I'v
ebeen on mine for three seasons now and they are as comfy and stiff as
the day I first laid eyes on 'em.

Old November 28th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
nicotine

lonerider wrote:
Bindings

Historically, wide feet don't work with Salomon boots. I have narrow
feet and like my Malamutes, which makes me think they aren't going to
fit you (worth a try). Otherwise try Burton Driver X or maybe DC Shoes
Allegiance boots.

As a wide boot user (US9.5 wide), I think there is one notable
exception to the above statement - I picked up a new pair of Salomon
Synapse Wide boots last season, and they have fit extremely well for me
so far. I really like the lacing system they have on the Synapse model.

Old November 30th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

Driver-X boots, C-60 bindings & the Custom-X. Won't be the best in
deep stuff but, nothing that rips groomers is.