preseason training

Old October 6th 03, 12:06 PM
Stephen

Default preseason training

"T" wrote in message
news:yG8gb.48829$%h1.33081@sccrnsc02...
too many relaxing summer nights out drinking and now the
nfl.....sigh.........so, with roughly 8 weeks before the start of the

season
i think i need to start some preseason conditioning. i am curious what
others do to ramp up for the first day of opening. other than squats, what
are the best exercises to build leg strength for those long days in the
cascade powder?

cheers,

Two sites with some boarding workout exercises
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...ing/snowb1.htm
http://homepages.together.net/~ronjav/sbtp/index.htm

Steve

Old October 6th 03, 04:23 PM
Jason Watkins

I was reading some sports doctor stuff the other day. They said that
skiing uses the 3 major resperation paterns of the body fairly evenly.
Probibly safe to assuming snowboarding is similar.

So, according to them, an even mix of training brings best results. So
do deadlifts and squats, 6-8 reps at very near to your single lift
maxiumum weight. Do jogging at 50% or so of max heart rate for a good
distance, and finally do shorter distance runs at 80%-90% heart rate.
Maybe rotate one a day or such.

At least that's what the doc's said. There's all sorts of theories of
training for different respiration patterns or building strength in
different muscle fiber types. It's fun to research, but unless you've
got the degree nessisary to interpret the average medical journal
article you're just left trusting what someone said pretty blindly.
Myself I think doing just about *anything* would help. I really need
to find the motivation to go jog. So far it's just not happening :/.
Old October 6th 03, 05:07 PM
Mike T

So, according to them, an even mix of training brings best results. So
do deadlifts and squats, 6-8 reps at very near to your single lift
maxiumum weight. Do jogging at 50% or so of max heart rate for a good
distance, and finally do shorter distance runs at 80%-90% heart rate.
Maybe rotate one a day or such.

No medical or personal training expertise here - just experience... I
agree with mixing it up. Here's a few things from my own experience:

1) Don't neglect upper body. Keep your shoulder muscles strong, it'll
reduce the chance of a torn rotator cuff or shoulder dislocation if you
busy the nose and go over the handlebars.

2) Endurance is as important, if not more important than strength. I
try to do my cardio workouts on an elliptical trainer with variable
slope, and vary the slope pretty continuously through an hour long
workout. I find this builds muscle endurance and augmenst weight
training very well. Also, I do the elliptical trainer without hanging
on (as much as possible) which increases balance. I tend to do cardio
for an hour at 70-75% max and if I'm feeling good the last 10 mins at
85% max.

3) If you have a history of knee problems - careful with the squats.
You can develop most of the same muscles on a leg press machine, which
is typically gentler on knees. I use squats as a warm-up, do them with
lower weights, and really concentrate on form. I do them with my feet
the same distance apart as my snowboard stance - not optional for doing
the most weight, but I'm not trying to lift a lot of weight - I'm tying
to crosstrain for snowboarding!

4) Don't forget your glutes and hamstrings! The strongler the whole
leg is, the less quad burn you'll have.

5) Hip adductions/abductions - not only do they add endurance for long
days attached to a snowboard, they add strength to knee-stabilizing
muscles too.

6) Don't like jogging or cardio machines? Try a jumprope. It's
intense, but you don't need to go as long.

Myself I think doing just about *anything* would help.

I would have to agree... Anything where you don't injure yourself that
is