Weekend Resort Ideas

Old March 12th 05, 04:15 PM
Steve

Thank you all so much for you comments. We have now booked a long
weekend
in Flaine, flying out with EasyJet on Wednesday night and coming back Sunday
Please look out for my next post where I'll be asking for driving and
route planning tips.

Beat you to it. :-)

From Geneva Airport, follow signs for France/Autoroute. Watch out for
the one about
a mile from the airport though... it looks like it wants you to take a
left, but it
actually wants you to take the next left !

Once on the A40, follow signs for Chamonix/Milan until you get to J19
signposted Flaine.
There are a couple of small Autoroute tolls... €1.6 about half way and
€1.8 on exit.
Once off the Autoroute, turn right at the T-Junction and then after
about 1.5 miles
take a left, signposted Flaine. Now follow this road until you can't go
any further!
It's about 18 miles up this road. You'll go through the villages of
Araches and Les Carroz.
Unless there's been a big dump of snow a few days before, you'll be
fine. This road is
kept pretty clear. It's a bit twisty that's what you get going up
mountains !

Dunno if you're in a hotel or apartment, but for eating out I'd
recommend Chez Daniel
(try their "scoff on a rock" as we call it, if you're not a veggie) and
also Michet.

Pistes... don't be tempted to stay "in the bowl" whilst the conditions
are this good
as lots of first timers to Flaine do. Take the Grand Vans chair and go
over to
Morillon and Lez Carroz. The first piste down from the top of Grand Vans
looks a little
daunting if this is only your 2nd week, bit it's easier than it looks.
The scenery is
fantastic and there's plenty of both very easy skiing for the nervous
(especially a
beautiful long green piste called "Marvel") as well as lots of harder
stuff. The huge
14km blue "Cascades" is just superb if it's open and is very recommended
if your
stamina is up to it...

Wany any more info?... just shout (email me if you like). We've taken
loads of friends
to Flaine as their "first time" over the years, so we know the easier
stuff pretty well
and can probably give you a few more tips on pistes, as it's only your
2nd week.

Have fun !

Steve

Old March 12th 05, 04:39 PM
Jasper

Blimey, thats a quick reply. What a star.

Thanks for the extra info too; just what we need. Funnily enough we are
veggies so the Scoff on a Rock won't be tempting us.

Jasp

"Steve" wrote in message
Thank you all so much for you comments. We have now booked a long

weekend
in Flaine, flying out with EasyJet on Wednesday night and coming back
Sunday
Please look out for my next post where I'll be asking for driving and
route planning tips.

Beat you to it. :-)

From Geneva Airport, follow signs for France/Autoroute. Watch out for the