Scotland at easter

Old March 6th 05, 07:21 PM
Adrian Tupper

pete devlin wrote in
:

In message , Adrian Tupper
writes
My car? Seriously it takes me just under 3 hours to get to Nevis from
here (Edinburgh) and just under 1.5 hours to Pitlochry. The rest is
simple maths.

Whatever. I've spent too long in my life arguing about peoples supposed
times up the A9 etc. It's a bit of a willy waving comp to some. Those
that travel it regularly on account that we live there will smile
politely at your claims.

I don't quite know what you're implying. I drive within the limits and
I'm assuming that there are no caravans holding me up.

The AA quote 1hr45mins for Pitlochry-Aonach Mor, btw. Not a million miles
away from what I was saying.

--
Adrian
Old March 6th 05, 08:21 PM
pete devlin

In message , Adrian Tupper
writes
I don't quite know what you're implying. I drive within the limits and
I'm assuming that there are no caravans holding me up.

Perhaps I was a little direct in my response. If you say you've done it
in 3 hours I won't argue. I have done Glasgow - Elgin in less than 3 but
I would have been jailed if they had caught me. At easter there is
absolutely no chance of such an optimistic time.

The AA quote 1hr45mins for Pitlochry-Aonach Mor, btw. Not a million
miles away from what I was saying.

The AA also say they will have someone with you in 45 mins. They base
their response times on Surrey or similar. Doesn't work like that round
these here parts! Windy highland roads, full of muppet tourists all
headed to kill themselves on the Ben in their shorts and sandals, are
not the same as the A1. You'd have to do it in the dead of night to get
close!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 7th 05, 04:49 PM
John Ricketts

Thats always put me off going east....at least at Nevis you've got a half
decent vertical!

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , John
Ricketts writes
Hmm...Spean Bridge might be a possibility...... will see what's available.
Just trying to keep options open. Last year braille skied 6 days in a row
at Nevis from 3rd to 10th April in almost total white-out, but a week
either side would have been almost snow-less!

Went for drive past Lecht today. Would have been a perfect day but I can't
stand queues. If it's still good on tues/wed I might go for the 1st time
in 10 years or so. Weather permitting of course, I can't be doing with
getting ice blasted for the sake of a few hundred metres of snow.
Any body know of a good outlet for ski mountaineering gear? I need some
skins and bindings. Probably boots too. The conditions at the moment would
be ideal for a few hills I've had my eye on for years.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"

Old March 7th 05, 08:43 PM
Adrian Tupper

pete devlin wrote in
:

In message , Adrian Tupper
writes
I don't quite know what you're implying. I drive within the limits

and
I'm assuming that there are no caravans holding me up.

Perhaps I was a little direct in my response. If you say you've done

it
in 3 hours I won't argue. I have done Glasgow - Elgin in less than 3

but
I would have been jailed if they had caught me. At easter there is
absolutely no chance of such an optimistic time.

Or on any bank holiday (English or Scottish) weekend. Granted.

The AA quote 1hr45mins for Pitlochry-Aonach Mor, btw. Not a million
miles away from what I was saying.

The AA also say they will have someone with you in 45 mins. They base
their response times on Surrey or similar. Doesn't work like that

round
these here parts! Windy highland roads, full of muppet tourists all
headed to kill themselves on the Ben in their shorts and sandals, are
not the same as the A1. You'd have to do it in the dead of night to

get
close!

It's usually first thing in the morning for me. The longest bit is
getting out of Edinburgh. That can take 20 mins from my fairly central
location. The journey to Fort William is 3 hours whether using tha A9
and Laggan or via Glencoe. Going to ski at Nevis, I'd go via Laggan
and expect it to take 2hr55 as opposed to 3hr05. I even keep times on
my road atlas. Sounds geeky but I find it useful.

--
Adrian