Goggles + Glasses

Old February 9th 04, 02:07 PM
Mitch

Default Goggles + Glasses

I haven't used goggles in 20 years because of the fogging and fit
problems with eyeglasses. Maybe I'm getting old but the last couple of
skis have been pretty cold and I'm thinking things must have improved.
Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

Mitch
Denver, CO

Old February 9th 04, 02:19 PM
Chris Webster

Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

Don't mess around, get the one's with the fan built in.

--Chris

Old February 9th 04, 02:20 PM
Terry Morse

Mitch wrote:

Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

Smith Turbocam is arguably the best for use with prescription
glasses. They're oversized to accommodate the glasses, and the tiny
electric fan clears fogging in very short order. But they are not
cheap:

http://tinyurl.com/2m3z7

Old February 9th 04, 02:25 PM
Chris Webster

Smith Turbocam is arguably the best for use with prescription
glasses. They're oversized to accommodate the glasses, and the tiny
electric fan clears fogging in very short order. But they are not
cheap:

Seems we got ours at Sierra Trading post on year for about $100-$125.

--Chris

Old February 9th 04, 03:03 PM
Mitch

Chris Webster wrote:

Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

Don't mess around, get the one's with the fan built in.

--Chris

Is the fan really the only thing that'll work? I was hoping for a
simpler solution.

I noticed that they do have several Over The Glasses models that don't
use a fan. Has anybody had any luck with them?

Mitch

Old February 9th 04, 03:14 PM
Tommy T.

"Mitch" wrote in message
Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

My wife uses the Smith Turbo with completely satisfactory results.
Generally she runs the fan only when not making speed downhill. She can
turn it off on the downhill runs because the goggle ventilates well - that
extends battery life. It does produce a fan noise that can be heard by
others nearby and we have made several repairs to the wiring, battery holder
and on/off switch.

I use disposable contacts at a price of about $1.10 per day. I use one with
my distance focus and one with a long reading focus. The brain self
corrects and gives me good distance and good closeup vision in the day time.
I seem to have full perspective vision at any distance. At night, the brain
appareantly doesn't get enough visual cues to adjust correctly and I get
blurry vision at all distances and have a loss of depth perception -- so I
don't use them at night. I wear glasses most of the time, using the
contacts only for snow sports, rock climbing and outdoor activities on rainy
days. The disposables are extremely thin, flexible and light weight. It
took about two days to get accustomed to them. No I can pick my goggles for
the lastest style and not have to worry about function in fogging
conditions.

Tommy T.

Old February 9th 04, 04:17 PM
Chris Webster

Mitch wrote:
Chris Webster wrote:

Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

Don't mess around, get the one's with the fan built in.

--Chris

Is the fan really the only thing that'll work? I was hoping for a
simpler solution.

There are simpler [cheaper?] solutions, but you said you wanted it to
work....

I noticed that they do have several Over The Glasses models that don't
use a fan. Has anybody had any luck with them?

Not going up hill. Even though I have the turbo goggles, I hardly ever
carry them. I almost exclusively wear [near] wrap-around sun glasses.

--Chris
Old February 9th 04, 04:52 PM
Mitch

Chris Webster wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Chris Webster wrote:

Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

Don't mess around, get the one's with the fan built in.

--Chris

Is the fan really the only thing that'll work? I was hoping for a
simpler solution.

There are simpler [cheaper?] solutions, but you said you wanted it to
work....

I noticed that they do have several Over The Glasses models that don't
use a fan. Has anybody had any luck with them?

Not going up hill. Even though I have the turbo goggles, I hardly ever
carry them. I almost exclusively wear [near] wrap-around sun glasses.

--Chris

Yep, I confess. Its just that I'm old fart with an aversion to
battery gadgets in the back country. Yes, I do have a headlamp but
there's always a candle in my pack.

True, I don't need goggles going up. I work hard enough that staying
warm isn't a problem.

Mitch

Old February 9th 04, 05:16 PM
lal_truckee

Terry Morse wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Any reccomendations for goggles that work with glasses?

Smith Turbocam is arguably the best for use with prescription
glasses. They're oversized to accommodate the glasses, and the tiny
electric fan clears fogging in very short order. But they are not
cheap:

http://tinyurl.com/2m3z7

Just to add: our Smith fan goggles have shown good reliability. We got
some (for the wife) a decade or so ago, and they still work and fit
well. Of course she isn't a daily skier, so they really don't have a
real decade's worth of wear.

BTW, end-of-season 1/2 price then was around $40 IIRC - these fan
goggles have been expensive since introduction, but apparently haven't
increased price as fast as skis or bindings.

University Project - Camera Goggles ardgower General 0 February 10th 05 11:44 PM
foggy glasses diane Nordic Skiing 7 January 31st 05 05:35 PM
Goggles for flat light Gary Alpine Skiing 5 December 15th 03 02:18 PM
Skiing with prescription glasses JMC Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 11:38 PM
Flat Light Goggles Daeus European Ski Resorts 38 November 24th 03 12:18 PM