NBC Olympic "Coverage" - NASCAR?

Old February 15th 06, 06:02 PM

Default NBC Olympic "Coverage" - NASCAR?

I know it's always been the fashion to criticize or criticise
'Mer'can Olympic coverage, but what the heck, it's free TV, so
I should punch myself in the mouth for complaining.

But doesn't it seem that coverage has changed for Winter 2006?

Used to be a buncha heart-rending stories about American athletes
preparing hard, getting coached, bankrupting their parents, and
then coming up short in the actual competition.

This winter it seems like the Olympics are being covered like
NASCAR! Every ice skater (except the Russky) had a super fall,
which was replayed many times for total analysis. How many times
did we see Lindsey Kildow's wipe-out in the downhill warmups?

I really like to see cars crashing up (you could probably predict
that Blues Brothers is my favorite movie) but I don't really like
seeing figure skaters fall. I'm ambivalent about downhill skiers.

Old February 15th 06, 07:36 PM

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
I know it's always been the fashion to criticize or criticise
'Mer'can Olympic coverage, but what the heck, it's free TV, so
I should punch myself in the mouth for complaining.

My tv cost me about $50/mo. and I could easily get rid of 75% of the
channels in my package.

But doesn't it seem that coverage has changed for Winter 2006?

I was at the last winter olympics so my perspective might be
different. But as I remember it usually sucks for people that like
sports. People that like oprah don't mind the current olympic
coverage.

Used to be a buncha heart-rending stories about American athletes
preparing hard, getting coached, bankrupting their parents, and
then coming up short in the actual competition.

Oprah.

This winter it seems like the Olympics are being covered like
NASCAR! Every ice skater (except the Russky) had a super fall,
which was replayed many times for total analysis. How many times
did we see Lindsey Kildow's wipe-out in the downhill warmups?

Nascar is broadcast in order. Beginning to end. In it's entirety.
Like a football game or whatever. Replays when it's relevent. That is
what I would like from olympic coverage.

I really like to see cars crashing up (you could probably predict
that Blues Brothers is my favorite movie) but I don't really like
seeing figure skaters fall. I'm ambivalent about downhill skiers.

But it's part of the event. Just show the whole thing. Start to
finish. Even if it's just from one camera with the live commentary
and the clock. Then later the oprah crown can watch the trendy
version like they do now.

How do you know what's good when you don't see what's bad? I would
like to see all the performers of the events that I like. And be able
to not see snowboarding without having to switch back to nbc every 10
minutes or so to make sure it's ended (I don't watch gay porn
either).

Old February 16th 06, 12:24 AM

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:36:46 -0700, "pigo"
wrote:

[...]

Heh. Of course you don't. chuckle

I've watched almost nothing of these Olympics. I just can't make room
in my day to wade through all the fluff to find the few scant seconds
of skiing.

bw
Old February 16th 06, 01:25 AM

"bdubya" wrote in message

Heh. Of course you don't. chuckle

I've watched almost nothing of these Olympics. I just can't make
room
in my day to wade through all the fluff to find the few scant
seconds
of skiing.

Well that's it. There's almost nothing on during the day. Hockey and
curling are all I've seen so far. All of the stuff I like, skiing,
skating, bob and luge, are all packaged in the oprah segments at
night.

Old February 16th 06, 04:55 AM

pigo wrote:
"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
I know it's always been the fashion to criticize or criticise
'Mer'can Olympic coverage, but what the heck, it's free TV, so
I should punch myself in the mouth for complaining.

My tv cost me about $50/mo. and I could easily get rid of 75% of the
channels in my package.

I bet you'd keep the Hallmark channel though! It's wunnerful.
actually, they could move all the crap about the athletes' families to that.
It'd fit right in.

How do you know what's good when you don't see what's bad? I would
like to see all the performers of the events that I like.

Me too. Seeing the whole lot would make the winners achievement so much
better. This coverage is like watching basketball, medals/baskets every five
minutes.

And be able
to not see snowboarding without having to switch back to nbc every 10
minutes or so to make sure it's ended (I don't watch gay porn
either).

I wish they'd have a skiier's halfpipe. The skiiers here are pulling
phenomenal tricks in the park and pipe.

And why was the US boarding team wearing pyjamas? Did their uniforms get
lost by the airline? Teach them to fly Delta.

--
ant

Old February 16th 06, 01:09 PM

"ant" wrote in message

I bet you'd keep the Hallmark channel though! It's wunnerful.
actually, they could move all the crap about the athletes' families
to that. It'd fit right in.

Nope. I wouldn't keep anything shopping, Mexican, kid, religious,
"classic", politically correct (lifetime, bet), MTV, public
broadcasting.

How do you know what's good when you don't see what's bad? I would
like to see all the performers of the events that I like.

Me too. Seeing the whole lot would make the winners achievement so
much better. This coverage is like watching basketball,
medals/baskets every five minutes.

I think it's more like showing basketball and only showing the
baskets that result in lead change.

And be able
to not see snowboarding without having to switch back to nbc every
10
minutes or so to make sure it's ended (I don't watch gay porn
either).

I wish they'd have a skiier's halfpipe. The skiiers here are
pulling phenomenal tricks in the park and pipe.

Yeah? Then what? Dog Frisbee?

And why was the US boarding team wearing pyjamas? Did their
uniforms get lost by the airline? Teach them to fly Delta.

But what would you expect?

Old February 16th 06, 05:32 PM

pigo wrote:
"bdubya" wrote in message

Heh. Of course you don't. chuckle

I've watched almost nothing of these Olympics. I just can't make
room
in my day to wade through all the fluff to find the few scant
seconds
of skiing.

Well that's it. There's almost nothing on during the day. Hockey and
curling are all I've seen so far. All of the stuff I like, skiing,
skating, bob and luge, are all packaged in the oprah segments at
night.

Maybe they should try that Olympic triple-cast thing again.

Seriously what I would like to see NBC do, if all their going to air is
a few minutes of any sport, would be to record all the events in their
entirety and stream them from their web site.

I hope all TV ends up that way. Then you pay for just what you want and
not $100/month for a 250 channel package when there's maybe 20 channels
that you actually watch.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old February 16th 06, 05:35 PM

pigo wrote:
"ant" wrote in message
And why was the US boarding team wearing pyjamas? Did their
uniforms get lost by the airline? Teach them to fly Delta.

But what would you expect?

At least their pants weren't falling down around their ankles. That
would be like so uncool dood.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old February 17th 06, 05:42 AM

Chuck wrote:
pigo wrote:
"ant" wrote in message
And why was the US boarding team wearing pyjamas? Did their
uniforms get lost by the airline? Teach them to fly Delta.

But what would you expect?

At least their pants weren't falling down around their ankles. That
would be like so uncool dood.

I love it when they're midair here and their trousers fall down!!!! They
scrabble desperately at their clothing while trying to land, it's priceless.
Fashion victims.

--
ant

Old February 17th 06, 02:16 PM

"ant" wrote in message

I love it when they're midair here and their trousers fall down!!!!
They scrabble desperately at their clothing while trying to land,
it's priceless. Fashion victims.

It's even better when they're running from the cops and their pants
fall around their ankles and trip them up. I've read a couple of
newspaper stories about that.

Olympic TV coverage don martin Nordic Skiing 6 February 13th 06 08:42 AM
Olympics TV coverage in U.S. - Nordic on USA Network Gene Goldenfeld Nordic Skiing 23 January 17th 06 10:36 AM
OLN FIS Coverage Marty Alpine Skiing 3 December 1st 04 07:17 PM
Winter Olympic Park Closed? -JP- Nordic Skiing 3 March 1st 04 10:37 PM
OLN Coverage Steve Nordic Skiing 2 February 27th 04 04:00 PM