Speaking of Lame Ski Sites. . .

Old November 23rd 04, 03:51 AM
Mary Malmros

vbenares wrote:

Try checking out the mountain maps for Keystone:

http://vail.instawatch.com/Key0405Wi...r_content.html

Can any normal person actually use things like this?

I can zoom in but cannot expand the map "window" - it occupies just a
bit more than a quarter of my screen with the rest being white. And by
the time I can read the names of the runs, there is no way to see where
the run starts and/or where it ends - that's kind of a big reason to use
a map.

Hrm. I'm guessing that they didn't exactly bust their butts checking
browser compatibility. I'm using Netscape 7.1, meself, and I had
problems too.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old November 23rd 04, 12:01 PM
Janet

Mary Malmros wrote:
vbenares wrote:

vbenares wrote:

Try checking out the mountain maps for Keystone:

http://vail.instawatch.com/Key0405Wi...r_content.html

Can any normal person actually use things like this?

I can zoom in but cannot expand the map "window" - it occupies just a
bit more than a quarter of my screen with the rest being white. And
by the time I can read the names of the runs, there is no way to see
where the run starts and/or where it ends - that's kind of a big
reason to use a map.

Hrm. I'm guessing that they didn't exactly bust their butts checking
browser compatibility. I'm using Netscape 7.1, meself, and I had
problems too.

Hmmm, Works just fine for me with Netscape 7.1. And with Safari - the
browser that comes with MacOSX.

Janet

Old November 23rd 04, 04:53 PM
lal_truckee

vbenares wrote:
Try checking out the mountain maps for Keystone:

http://vail.instawatch.com/Key0405Wi...r_content.html

Can any normal person actually use things like this?

Kind of tough to read, but:

Anybody know if that "Outback Cat Shuttle" up to South Bowl is a freebee
included with the ticket? If not - can anyone estimate the hiking time?

Old November 23rd 04, 05:43 PM
Chuck

Mary Malmros wrote in
:

Chuck wrote:
vbenares wrote in news:J9xnd.30436$KJ6.19598
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Try checking out the mountain maps for Keystone:

http://vail.instawatch.com/Key0405Wi...r_content.html

Can any normal person actually use things like this?

I find it pretty easy to use myself.

I found that I could zoom in, but never zoom out. Was that just me?

Must be a Netscape thing. All I had to do with click on the "-" to the
right of the map.

Old November 23rd 04, 08:21 PM
vbenares

Janet wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

vbenares wrote:

vbenares wrote:

Try checking out the mountain maps for Keystone:

http://vail.instawatch.com/Key0405Wi...r_content.html

Can any normal person actually use things like this?

I can zoom in but cannot expand the map "window" - it occupies just a
bit more than a quarter of my screen with the rest being white. And
by the time I can read the names of the runs, there is no way to see
where the run starts and/or where it ends - that's kind of a big
reason to use a map.

Hrm. I'm guessing that they didn't exactly bust their butts checking
browser compatibility. I'm using Netscape 7.1, meself, and I had
problems too.

Hmmm, Works just fine for me with Netscape 7.1. And with Safari - the
browser that comes with MacOSX.

Technically, it "works" with my Mozilla browser, i.e. I can zoom and
move around. But, it doesn't "work," as in being able to extract useful
information from it.

Here's an example of one that "works" both ways:
http://skiwinterpark.com/mountain/trailmaps.html

Old November 23rd 04, 08:48 PM
vbenares

lal_truckee wrote:

vbenares wrote:

Try checking out the mountain maps for Keystone:

http://vail.instawatch.com/Key0405Wi...r_content.html

Can any normal person actually use things like this?

Kind of tough to read, but:

Anybody know if that "Outback Cat Shuttle" up to South Bowl is a freebee
included with the ticket? If not - can anyone estimate the hiking time?

It's not a freebie. I think I read that it is $5 a cat trip. If it was
open last year, and I don't think it was, we didn't hike it.

Old November 23rd 04, 09:50 PM
Richard M

lal_truckee wrote:
http://vail.instawatch.com/Key0405Wi...r_content.html

Kind of tough to read, but:

Anybody know if that "Outback Cat Shuttle" up to South Bowl is a freebee
included with the ticket? If not - can anyone estimate the hiking time?

Freebie?!?! Surely you jest. Keystone is owned by Vail, after all.
According to the Keystone website at
http://keystone.snow.com/info/katridingtours.asp you'll have to pay
five bucks per ride:

The Outback Shuttle Service
Get a ride to some of your favorite terrain skiing at Keystone!
Instead of hiking The Outback, you can ride a cat that will be
servicing The Outback bowls. The cat makes passes on The Outback
travel route only. No Reservations.

Dates: Condition Dependant
Time: 10:30am - 1:30pm
Location: Meet at Outback Bowls gate, atop The Outback
Price: $5
Professional crew: Operator and Gear Loader
Capacity: Snowcat holds 12 people

It's been a few years since I've been there, but it only took about 5
minutes to get to Puma Bowl. The South Bowl is probably another 15-20
minutes of mostly flat hiking. Personally, I never went all the way
out, but that was mostly because I was outvoted by my ski partners.

Old November 24th 04, 03:38 AM
snoig

(Richard M) wrote in message . com...
lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

I've been all the way out and it can take up to 45 minutes. Now that
that cat goes there and the snow is going to be cut up, I can think of
many more places in the county where a 15 to 45 minute hike will get
you much better untracked terrian. If the snow is good there, just go
to the Basin and do about a 30 step hike to get some untracked or just
ski Loveland Pass.

snoig