Never skied powder...

Old August 20th 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_2_]

Default Never skied powder...

I appreciate the responses to my post about SLC. It is a shame it
deteriorated so quickly.
Any how, my experiences with powder are limited.
About 8 years ago we got 24" of light powder overnight and the local
ski area didn't groom the steepest trail. I spent several hours on
it, figuring I would never see anything like it again. Basically I
was up to my knees in snow, going through it very slowly. I don't
know if broader skis would have helped, but it was not a good
experience.
2 years ago I went to Tahoe and skied their powder. It was like
skiing in mud. I moved to the groomed trails and loved them.

Presumably if I wanted to try powder in SLC I would have to rent skis,
rather than bringing my narrow eastern skis. Is that right? I guess
I would also want to take a lesson. Do they have lessons for capable
skiers who don't know powder, or would I be in with beginners?
Since I will probably never see powder again (I figure this is about
my last chance to get out west before I am too old to appreciate it),
I am just not sure it is worth renting skis and taking a lesson.

Any comments would be appreciated. Well... I mean any comments about
my question; I don't really want comments about dickless people and
such.
Old August 20th 11, 04:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Toller wrote:
[...]

I took powder lessons back in the 70's at Alta. All very good skiers in the
class. They took us to an isolated bowl, then taught us the "Alta launch pad"
then has us do 1 turn, then 2 turns .... Definately, rent some better powder
skis to simplify the learning process. My eastern 210cm Kneissel Red Stars were
like submarines. Rank beginners aren't likely to go for powder lessons.

How old is too old to appreciate it. I'm 62, and still loving what we get of
powder here in Seattle area. These days, I'm getting better every year in it on
skis, and on a snowboard. It's not Alta powder, but it sure is better than the
groomers.

Old August 20th 11, 05:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Aug 19, 7:22*pm, Toller wrote:
I appreciate the responses to my post about SLC. *It is a shame it
deteriorated so quickly.

Anytime you post about skiing, I'm going to remind the assholes of rsa
about their disgusting history.
If YOU were a decent human being, you wouldn't have anything to do
with such assholes, which means that you, too, are an asshole.
Tell ya what. How about I indulge in an rsa tradition, and falsely
accuse you of molesting children? Fair is fair, right?

[...]

Because you're dickless, you dickless wimp.

Old August 20th 11, 05:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Aug 19, 9:30*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Toller wrote:
[...]

Says another dickless wimp who has grossly defamed me and called me
all kinds of names. Of course, he is a complete pussy and never has
had the balls to do so in person, just like the rest of his fellow
freaks.
Old August 20th 11, 05:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 8/19/11 7:22 PM, Toller wrote:
I appreciate the responses to my post about SLC. It is a shame it
deteriorated so quickly.
Any how, my experiences with powder are limited.
About 8 years ago we got 24" of light powder overnight and the local
ski area didn't groom the steepest trail. I spent several hours on
it, figuring I would never see anything like it again. Basically I
was up to my knees in snow, going through it very slowly. I don't
know if broader skis would have helped, but it was not a good
experience.

Broader skis are useful in heavy fresh. Many prefer them.

2 years ago I went to Tahoe and skied their powder. It was like
skiing in mud. I moved to the groomed trails and loved them.

Heavy fresh snow like Tahoe's usual stuff demands much stronger
technique than the light Utah fluff; takes awhile to become proficient
in the Sierra mush. That's why I suggest you try Utah pow to discover
the appeal - the reward is delivered earlier and easier.

Presumably if I wanted to try powder in SLC I would have to rent skis,
rather than bringing my narrow eastern skis. Is that right? I guess
I would also want to take a lesson. Do they have lessons for capable
skiers who don't know powder, or would I be in with beginners?

You might want to consider leaving your skis behind and trying condition
specific skis while you're there just because the airlines have made it
a pain to fly with skis these days.

They will have lessons suitable - bringing the thrill of Utah pow to the
Eastern Skier is pretty much their bread and butter; they know all the
issues.

Since I will probably never see powder again (I figure this is about
my last chance to get out west before I am too old to appreciate it),
I am just not sure it is worth renting skis and taking a lesson.

Well, two things;
As you age, you might find yourself making regular visits to the real
powder - it's just much easier and more fun than even the best groomed,
and hopefully there'll be more free cash when you retire.
Second, around here age is no obstacle (unless you die.) Many people in
my part of the locker room are in their 70s, and I'm nearly there
myself. Guy in the locker next to me skied 2-3 days every week last
winter - he's 89, and full of tales of piloting B17s over Germany, which
he trades with the WWII Luftwaffe fighter pilot on the other side of the
locker room, also a regular. (I kid you not.)

So the plan: Keep skiing until you die, and do as much of it as possible
in powder. Nobody ever said on his deathbed, "I wish I had skied less
powder."

Any comments would be appreciated. Well... I mean any comments about
my question; I don't really want comments about dickless people and
such.

As I said, ignore the dimwits. There's only a few who can't help
themselves, they're easy to spot, and they say nothing pertinent ever.

Killfile is your friend.
Old August 20th 11, 06:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 08/19/2011 10:22 PM, Toller wrote:
I appreciate the responses to my post about SLC. It is a shame it
deteriorated so quickly.
Any how, my experiences with powder are limited.
About 8 years ago we got 24" of light powder overnight and the local
ski area didn't groom the steepest trail. I spent several hours on
it, figuring I would never see anything like it again. Basically I
was up to my knees in snow, going through it very slowly. I don't
know if broader skis would have helped, but it was not a good
experience.

It's a knack. If someone had shown it to you, you would
have had a better time. Basically speed is your friend.
You need a bit of speed to plane up and turn.

2 years ago I went to Tahoe and skied their powder. It was like
skiing in mud. I moved to the groomed trails and loved them.

Uhuh, I've skied that stuff too. LAL led me into Sherwood
Forest on a sunny day with a foot of... Sierra Cement.
Awful.

Presumably if I wanted to try powder in SLC I would have to rent skis,
rather than bringing my narrow eastern skis. Is that right? I guess
I would also want to take a lesson. Do they have lessons for capable
skiers who don't know powder, or would I be in with beginners?
Since I will probably never see powder again (I figure this is about
my last chance to get out west before I am too old to appreciate it),
I am just not sure it is worth renting skis and taking a lesson.

When I go to Tahoe I always rent. Renting at El Cheapo's in
South Lake Tahoe is less expensive than paying the airline
to cart them for you. Further, you can ski on any damn thing
if you are skiing RealSnow(tm). The only time I got into a
little trouble was when the wind blew the snow off the
ice underneath. Fortunately I was with LAL and he found
where the wind had blown the snow and all was well.

When I go to the PNW, I have a pair of skis stashed at my
son-in-law's house south of Bellingham.

Generally... your stiff high performance tightly carving
ice penetrating eastern skis are way overkill out west.

I'm sure there is something like El Cheapo's in SLC.

A learner's rental ski will be fairly wide at the tip,
will be quite flexible, both long way and twisting.
The binding will be movable for rental use. Some rental
bindings allow for toe movement. If so, put the toe piece
a centimeter or so back from what would be "normal" and
set the heel accordingly and you'll have lots more fun
in the soft stuff.

Old August 20th 11, 06:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 08/20/2011 12:30 AM, Bob F wrote:
Toller wrote:
[...]

Right and about to be 69. The powder is clearly
kinder to my old knees, but I'm still primarily
an EasternSkier(TM).

Old August 20th 11, 01:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

lal_truckee wrote:
On 8/19/11 7:22 PM, Toller wrote:
I appreciate the responses to my post about SLC. It is a shame it
deteriorated so quickly.

So the plan: Keep skiing until you die, and do as much of it as possible
in powder. Nobody ever said on his deathbed, "I wish I had skied less
powder."

I would.
Any comments would be appreciated. Well... I mean any comments about
my question; I don't really want comments about dickless people and
such.

As I said, ignore the dimwits. There's only a few who can't help
themselves, they're easy to spot, and they say nothing pertinent ever.

Killfile is your friend.

I am a non powder skier, do not enjoy the feel and it reduces your speed
& g-forces. I find it is brutal on my knees. It is not a consistent feel
under the skis and my knees keep adjusting for that. Give me Eastern
Firm or a salted race course. I grew up on ice skates and ski with one
foot less loaded than the other and in powder that is death.
Plus at my age I operate under old dogs and new tricks issue. But my aim
is to race and on a powder day I would go sit in hot tub.

If you are a non specific skier and do it just for fun I would suggest
that you try powder. It should be fun most people do enjoy it.

Ignore our famous internet loon and the stick pokers that prod it, and
kill fill is your friend

Old August 20th 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Aug 19, 10:23*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
On 8/19/11 7:22 PM, Toller wrote:

[...]

In the sick mind of this pathological liar, ignoring the facts of his
behavior is the only way to deal with the vileness of rsa.
Personally, I think discussing his lies, stalking, and support of
internet terrorism is very pertinent to this newsgroup.
But in the mind of Dickless Lloyd (who has never been man enough to
identify himself), there is no ethics or morals or decency. Talk
about a dimwit.

I've Skied This Jeff Davis Alpine Skiing 27 October 18th 07 06:49 PM
Anyone skied indoors? [email protected] Alpine Skiing 15 November 8th 06 05:19 PM
Anyone skied in Dubai? [email protected] European Ski Resorts 1 August 22nd 06 10:02 AM
Where I skied scottabe Alpine Skiing 2 January 5th 04 03:09 PM
Have you ever skied in England ? Enotrio Pallanzo European Ski Resorts 23 September 25th 03 06:35 AM