The BEST snowboard

Old December 13th 04, 05:46 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Switters wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:27:14 GMT, Neil Gendzwill
allegedly wrote:

I'll put a number on it - I'd say 99% of snowboarders can't link carved
turns, and half can barely link skidded turns.

Neil, move away from the nursery slope, you'll see a higher standard of
riding. :-)))

You see a higher standard somewhere? It really says something to me
that when you see someone linking carved turns from the chair, your eye
is immediately drawn there - it's an unusual event. Another interesting
data point - I've signed up for advanced lessons twice. In both cases,
the main goal was achieving carved turns. To me, that's a minimum
standard for being considered advanced.

Neil

Old December 13th 04, 05:50 PM
Mike T

I'll put a number on it - I'd say 99% of snowboarders can't link carved
turns, and half can barely link skidded turns.

I might agree with those numbers expressed as "percentage of all
snowboarders", but not expressed as "percentage of riders on the hill in any
given day". (Most snowboarders don't get on the hill very often)

On a weekday at Mt Hood during the spring I might literally see a full third
of the snowboarders, including those sticking to the park, linking carved
turns. But yeah, pick a mid-winter Sunday, and that percentage goes
drastically downhill!

Mike T

Old December 13th 04, 07:52 PM
Dmitry

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

Neil, move away from the nursery slope, you'll see a higher standard of riding. :-)))

You see a higher standard somewhere? It really says something to me that when you see someone linking carved turns from the
chair, your eye is immediately drawn there - it's an unusual event. Another interesting data point - I've signed up for advanced
lessons twice. In both cases, the main goal was achieving carved turns. To me, that's a minimum standard for being considered
advanced.

I've seen what looked like a 16 yo kid, probably on a freeride board with
a very wide duckstance killing it on the main bowl face at Mammoth.
He was literally twice as fast as most skiers over those soft moguls, and
he was busting right through them with very high edge angles on both
sides completely in control. Never seen anything like that, still wondering
how the hell do I get there.

Old December 14th 04, 12:14 PM
Switters

allegedly wrote:
I'll put a number on it - I'd say 99% of snowboarders can't link
carved turns, and half can barely link skidded turns.

Neil, move away from the nursery slope, you'll see a higher standard
of riding. :-)))

Most people are unable to recognise a carved turn from a skidded turn.

Even "good" riders.

I'd refute that. Surely if someone knows what a carved turn is, then by
definition they should be able to tell the difference between it and a
skidded turn.

I think that perhaps the generalisation would be that people don't know
the difference between the two, and therefore can only do the skidded
variety.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old December 14th 04, 12:29 PM
Switters

allegedly wrote:

I'll put a number on it - I'd say 99% of snowboarders can't link
carved turns, and half can barely link skidded turns.

Neil, move away from the nursery slope, you'll see a higher standard
of riding. :-)))

You see a higher standard somewhere?

Sure.

It really says something to me
that when you see someone linking carved turns from the chair, your
eye is immediately drawn there - it's an unusual event.

I guess it depends on how deep the carving is. If someone's busting big
fat trenches and are cranked over from one side to the next, then that
gets my attention, because as you say, it's unusual (more so in North
America) and it's good to watch.

However, someone linking shallow carves doesn't necessarily warrant
another glance.

I'd still say that most people away from the nursery slopes can at least
link skidded turns. Some may not do it well, but they can do it. And
is this really down to having a bad board, or simply because they've not
been taught properly or been riding long enough.

Either that, or I've really not been paying attention to other people. I
tend to just notice the really good riders.

Another
interesting data point - I've signed up for advanced lessons twice.
In both cases, the main goal was achieving carved turns. To me,
that's a minimum standard for being considered advanced.

Classifying abilities is a whole different thread

Old December 14th 04, 02:49 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Switters wrote:

I'd still say that most people away from the nursery slopes can at least
link skidded turns. Some may not do it well, but they can do it. And
is this really down to having a bad board, or simply because they've not
been taught properly or been riding long enough.

None of the above. It's because they don't care. A snowboard allows
you to survive on nearly any slope, because you can skid on your
heelside edge and watch where you're going. Once a newbie makes it down
an expert slope, they figure they've got this snowboarding thing licked,
or at least good enough to survive a day and make it to the bar in one
piece.

I don't buy the equipment holding people back crap. Most people aren't
nearly good enough that their equipment is holding them back.

Either that, or I've really not been paying attention to other people. I
tend to just notice the really good riders.

That too - some automatic noise filtering going on, there.

Neil

Old December 14th 04, 03:51 PM

I don't buy the equipment holding people back crap.
No need to be rude.

The whole point is that equipment won't make you a good snowboarder,
but lessons and practice might. My apologies if that didn't come
through. That said, you don't suggest why using inappropriate equipment
is a "not crap" thing.
I'd have said that buying lessons and renting gear is the "best" thing
for novices to do.

I seem to remember reading that something over 70% of snowboarders
never figure out how to turn their boards. I can't quote a source, but
my personal experience is that this is probably accurate, across
non-novice slopes in lift served resorts in Europe and the USA. Try
thrashing down a decent black run in the Alps mid-season and percentage
of those unable to turn their fashion boards is much larger. Note that
I'm not talking about digging trenches here, just making decent linked
turns without huge counter-rotation etc. As anything over 50% should
qualify as "most", I'd say there's no exaggeration here.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:45 AM
B. Labévue

Chris J. wrote:

"Westman" wrote in message

I've got some questions for ya...

What is the BEST snowboard in the world? Is there any consensus?

Mine. And yes, it is "mine."

What is the best snowboard brand?

Burton. It's synonymous with snowboarding...like Starbucks and coffee.

Like Mc Donalds and Hamburger ?