Ski crampons

Old April 25th 06, 07:48 AM

Default Ski crampons

I recently decided that I "must" try ski crampons next winter.
Not that I'd really need them, but I'm really curious on trying
the stuff out on some steeper icy/hard packed stuff.

Anyway, the only crampons I could find that would seem to fit
skis with generic cable bindings, rather than some gimmicky AT
bindings, were the ones by Skalp:
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/sho...roducts_id=623
Are there others? Any comments on the Skalps? The price is pretty
steep, but I decided to get a pair anyway.

Btw, the new 'Diamir Axion' crampons seem pretty cool, as
switching them on and off should be very easy. Any experiences
of those? Not that it'd be of practical relevance to me, as
those require specific bindings that I wouldn't use anyway.
http://www.fritschi.ch/english/inhalt/axion.html
Old April 25th 06, 08:42 AM

Hi

MB wrote:

I recently decided that I "must" try ski crampons next winter.
Not that I'd really need them, but I'm really curious on trying
the stuff out on some steeper icy/hard packed stuff.

Anyway, the only crampons I could find that would seem to fit
skis with generic cable bindings, rather than some gimmicky AT
bindings, were the ones by Skalp:
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/sho...roducts_id=623
Are there others?

Check http://telemark-easygo.com/

This is the base frame of the Silvretta 500-series binding, on which you
can mount most available telemark binding.
- Walking is much(!) easier,
- Much(!) better heel lifts,
- With Telemark boots the mounting of the crampons is even
possible without getting out of the binding.

The tele adapter is as expensive as a binding itself, but I never want
to miss it again (Uli Hausmann will confirm this soon ;-) ).

Florian

Old April 25th 06, 12:03 PM

Am Dienstag, den 25.04.2006, 07:48 +0000 schrieb MB:
I recently decided that I "must" try ski crampons next winter.
Not that I'd really need them, but I'm really curious on trying
the stuff out on some steeper icy/hard packed stuff.

Anyway, the only crampons I could find that would seem to fit
skis with generic cable bindings, rather than some gimmicky AT
bindings, were the ones by Skalp:
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/sho...roducts_id=623
Are there others? Any comments on the Skalps? The price is pretty
steep, but I decided to get a pair anyway.

Btw, the new 'Diamir Axion' crampons seem pretty cool, as
switching them on and off should be very easy. Any experiences
of those? Not that it'd be of practical relevance to me, as
those require specific bindings that I wouldn't use anyway.
http://www.fritschi.ch/english/inhalt/axion.html

I confirm what Florian Anwander said.

But now, there are in the market also other solutions like the new G3
touring binding (which also has a resistance free articulation. With
those (and also those using 3-pin solutions) you always could use the
Dynafit crampon. See he

http://www.dynafit.at/accessories_bi...63e9fdd359d1ff

Greetings,

Ulrich

Old April 25th 06, 12:55 PM

[ Ulrich Hausmann ]

But now, there are in the market also other solutions like the new G3
touring binding (which also has a resistance free articulation. With

I just looked at this, and it seems to me that there's plenty of
places for snow to clog. I'd think that with the right (or rather
wrong) snow conditions this will be problematic to operate at all, let
alone with the pole.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old April 25th 06, 04:59 PM

In article , *@*.* wrote:

Are there others? Any comments on the Skalps?

B & D Ski Gear: bndskigear.com

cheers,
john

Old April 26th 06, 09:07 AM

Florian Anwander
Check http://telemark-easygo.com/

This is the base frame of the Silvretta 500-series binding, on which
you can mount most available telemark binding.

Well, yes. In my case, however, I won't be using the crampons
with tele bindings at all, but with common backcountry cable
bindings typically used with utility, forest and military skis:
http://www.kuusamonuistin.fi/talvika...p_Era_side.jpg
Ie skis and bindings that are, afaik, rarely, if ever, used with
carmpons (until I get mine, that is....

The advantage of the Skalps is that they have a simple attachement
to the ski itself, rather than the binding. Otoh, not all bindings
fit onto skis equiped with these, eg the Silverettas won't. The
obvious disadvantage with the Skalps is that the crampons are fixed,
rather than pivoting, and thus they won't lift out of the way with
the heel when stepping forward. I think that this isn't a big deal
for me though, as I'm planning to use the carmpons for relatively
short distance steep climbs on fjells, and climbs shorter still,
but exceptionally difficult, in forest. Ie, nothing like "real"
ski-mountaineering. Btw, I'm slightly suspicious on how well the
Skalps will stay in place on very hard surfaces, but, of course,
I will find out by trying.

John Red-Horse:
: B & D Ski Gear: bndskigear.com

These are most interesting. Like the Skalps, they have a simple
attachment to the ski, but unlike the former, they will pivot.
I'm not sure whether the B&D's will work well with other than
hard-soled tele boots though, as the 'pressure assembly'.
Old April 26th 06, 01:56 PM

Hi

: B & D Ski Gear: bndskigear.com
These are most interesting. Like the Skalps, they have a simple
attachment to the ski, but unlike the former, they will pivot.

I have to admit, that I don't give the attachment a very long period of
living. I fear the small 'ligament' might bend and shear off quite soon
if the crampon is forced sidewards. If you have to cross mixed areas
this may happen quite soon.
Example: Look at this pictu
http://fa.utfs.org/mountains/2006/03...s/IMG_5462.jpg
The snow looks easier than it was. It was a hard wind pressed crust
mixed with rocks. Most of us added crampons around one minute after this
picture. One had the Dynafit TLT binding with the crampon Uli suggested,
and which is very similar to the B&D. The fixing of the crampon broke
after 20 meters in this terrain.

Florian

Old April 26th 06, 02:38 PM

Florian Anwander
One had the Dynafit TLT binding with the crampon Uli
suggested, and which is very similar to the B&D. The fixing
of the crampon broke after 20 meters in this terrain.

It seems there's a problem with Dynafit crampons:
http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin...c;f=1;t=001274
Old April 26th 06, 02:52 PM

Am Mittwoch, den 26.04.2006, 09:07 +0000 schrieb MB:
Well, yes. In my case, however, I won't be using the crampons
with tele bindings at all, but with common backcountry cable
bindings typically used with utility, forest and military skis:
http://www.kuusamonuistin.fi/talvika...p_Era_side.jpg
Ie skis and bindings that are, afaik, rarely, if ever, used with
carmpons (until I get mine, that is....

Then, your best bet is:

http://telemark.iuveno-net.de/tf/mag...ic_harscheisen

(I used it with Rottefella Riva, which seems similar to the bindings in
your pic).

Greetings,

Ulrich

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
Old April 27th 06, 04:04 AM

Ulrich Hausmann
Then, your best bet is:

http://telemark.iuveno-net.de/tf/mag...ic_harscheisen

Thanks

My German is a bit weak, so I can't really figure out for sure
how these are attached to the skis/bindings. Simply using the
pins of 3 pin and held in place by the boot toe?

In my case this wouldn't work, as my cable bindings aren't 3
pin. Instead, the're much like Rottefellas NATO 100 bindings.

Anyway, I just received a pair of Skalp crampons. It seems that
they'll fit my skis/bindings nicely. For me the fact that the
Skalps don't utilize the bindings at all for attachment is a
definite advantage.