Garmont Dynamite boots

Old December 10th 04, 06:32 PM
Simon Isbister

Default Garmont Dynamite boots

I have a pair of these that I want to try and stiffen up a bit. I know I
can put a stiffer tongue in, but I keep getting conflicting reports as to
what the best tongue to use is. Any advice? Or any other methods of
getting a bit more stiffness out of your boots?

-s-

Old December 12th 04, 10:36 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old December 13th 04, 10:09 PM

I don't know anything about Trab skis, and although I know a lot about
Dynafit bindings, Lou Dawson knows far more (and reveals all his
secrets at his Wild Snow website).

As for the Garmont Dynamite, they are significantly softer than the
current Garmont G-Ride and my discontinued but modified Garmont GSM.
This seemed to result from the significantly lower cuff height, or at
least that was my perception when I tried them in the store. I would
much rather have the extra few ounces of the taller G-Ride (or
Dynafit-compatible Mega Ride). Yes I can ski just fine in a softer
boot (and did for a season in a modified Rossignol Raid), but unless
I'm gaining something in exchange like the ultralight Dynafit TLT Race,
why put up with that tradeoff?

Anyway, a Raichle Flexon tongue works well in Scarpa Laser/Magic/Matrix
boots (and my old Garmont GSM), but could require lots of work to make
it fit in a current Garmont boot b/c of the buckles. A San Marco
AXE/AXR tongue would also work well - I just picked one up on eBay, so
you might work to periodically look for them. Other from old alpine
downhill boots with floating tongues designs might also work.

Another trick is to wrap the original velcro power strap over the gfit
liner but underneath the shell tongue, then put this (get the version
with the plastic buckle, since the metal version is very heavy):
http://www.bootfitters.com/booster.htm
....around the outside of the shell tongue.

And if you want to get really carried away:
http://www.jshefftz.photosite.com/gsm/

With all these mods, my at boots are way less stiff than my resort
boots, which is exactly what I want. But I still want them to be
stiffer than stock AT boots, hence the mods. And the Dynamite is
starting out as a relatively soft boot by current AT standards.

Old December 14th 04, 02:37 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old December 16th 04, 07:27 AM
Simon Isbister

_ Since I own a pair of T-Races, I should probably be the last
person to talk about too stiff boots, but I think for somebody
just getting into BC skiing would benefit from adapting their
technique rather than their gear to start with. If you're coming
from a resort skiing background, you often get freaked out by
the softness of AT boots.

Yeah, thats been a bit of an issue, but my first BC skiing was with leather
mountaineering boots, so the softness of proper AT boots is nothing compared
to that. There has been lots of good advice here, and for my other
questions. I'll let you all know what I go with, and how it all goes.

thanks!

-s-

Old December 16th 04, 03:05 PM
Booker C. Bense