Wake up, it's winter

Old December 31st 04, 04:37 PM
VtSkier

Default Wake up, it's winter

Yeah, even if there isn't much snow in the east and the fact that it's
raining (drizzle) here right now, we've had quit a few days on the hill.

Because the actual skiing hasn't been great and the open terrain is
limited, I've been spending my time talking to people and getting two
(yes, two) new pair of boots dialed in. The AT's are really close and
the flexon's will probably need a bit more tweak in the area of the
first knuckle of my little toe on each foot. The lasts are pretty narrow
for my duck feet. Otherwise pretty good.

New skis are fantastic. Volkl 6star have everything I want for screaming
carves and ice grip. Fischer MountainX's are great for everything else
and the price was RIGHT. $84, new in plastic from ebay.

New Black Diamond gloves have proven to be too light and hands have been
frozen a couple of times so another pair of gloves is in the mail. These
ordered a size too large to allow a pair of fleece liners in addition to
the thinsulate.

This post is get some discussion going, hope it works.

VtSkier

Old December 31st 04, 05:26 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-31, VtSkier penned:

This post is get some discussion going, hope it works.

I've been lazy and haven't been skiing in two weeks. I'll be at steamboat all
next weekend, though.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 1st 05, 01:25 AM
ant

"VtSkier" wrote in message

New Black Diamond gloves have proven to be too light and hands have been
frozen a couple of times so another pair of gloves is in the mail. These
ordered a size too large to allow a pair of fleece liners in addition to
the thinsulate.

This post is get some discussion going, hope it works.

I've found myself getting a LOT colder this season. I sustained some frost
damage to my hands and front of teh thighs (!) in Vermont last season, but
this is all-over cold. I usuallly run pretty hot, but not at the moment.
Might be due to not having lunch, too. I might have to get another fleece
jumper, or thicker thermals. It's very puzzling. Age, maybe?

ant

Old January 1st 05, 01:26 AM
Black Metal Martha

On 2004-12-31, VtSkier penned:

This post is get some discussion going, hope it works.

I've been lazy and haven't been skiing in two weeks. I'll be at

steamboat all
next weekend, though.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

I haven't been up since mid-December. But it hasn't snowed until this
past week. Both 80 and 50 were closed this morning. Hopefully, they'll
be open tomorrow morning when I go up and there will be lots and lots
of freshies!!!

Martha

Old January 1st 05, 01:27 AM
Jim P.

On 2004-12-31, VtSkier penned:

This post is get some discussion going, hope it works.

I've been lazy and haven't been skiing in two weeks. I'll be at steamboat all
next weekend, though.

I took the kids skiing Wednesday at a local hill. I had custom footbeds
made this year, along with some boot tweaking, and I have to admit, I'm
wondering why I waited so long. It was like night and day.. I never knew
how much better things were with boots that fit right. DUHHHHH!

OTOH, I also bought some new Volkl 5-stars that I don't think I'll be
using until 2006. It's kind of like a snow guarantee... buy new gear,
get no snow. Maybe I'll bring them to Steamboat in February, but I'm
not sure if I want those animals throwing my new skis all over the plane.

Happy New Year to everyone, and pray for some snow!

Jim in Rochester, NY

Old January 1st 05, 03:31 AM

In article ,
"Monique Y. Mudama" writes:
I've been lazy and haven't been skiing in two weeks. I'll be at
steamboat all next weekend, though.

You are missing some great snow. I was at Winter park today.
It snowed quite a bit wednesday, but they didn't open Parsene bowl
yesterday because of the wind. I was lucky to get a ride up just as they
opened the lift. I got my powder run in the trees. By the time I came back
to that lift the line was horrendous. I was contemplating just bailing
and skiing some other run but a patroller just called for a single and nobody
else raised their hand ! So I got the bonus ride !
2 great powder runs to start the day. I could have gone home happy at
this point :-)
The rest of the mountain is in decent shape except some over abused runs
like riffle sight notch. If you are renting, that $1 insurance is a
good investment.

bruno.

Old January 1st 05, 05:24 AM
The Real Bev

ant wrote:

I've found myself getting a LOT colder this season. I sustained some frost
damage to my hands and front of teh thighs (!) in Vermont last season,

Have you recovered, or are there skinless body parts?

but this is all-over cold. I usuallly run pretty hot, but not at the moment.
Might be due to not having lunch, too. I might have to get another fleece
jumper, or thicker thermals. It's very puzzling. Age, maybe?

Nope, if age did it I'd have it! Go for the technological solutions, I
don't think there are any others :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old January 1st 05, 02:59 PM
VtSkier

ant wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

New Black Diamond gloves have proven to be too light and hands have been
frozen a couple of times so another pair of gloves is in the mail. These
ordered a size too large to allow a pair of fleece liners in addition to
the thinsulate.

This post is get some discussion going, hope it works.

I've found myself getting a LOT colder this season. I sustained some frost
damage to my hands and front of teh thighs (!) in Vermont last season, but
this is all-over cold. I usuallly run pretty hot, but not at the moment.
Might be due to not having lunch, too. I might have to get another fleece
jumper, or thicker thermals. It's very puzzling. Age, maybe?

ant

The new uniform jacket is really a rain shell. Recognized this and have
been wearing a fleece in addition to a t-neck under my vest and I'm
still getting cold. I haven't had actual frost bite in years though.
Good thing because the damage seems to weaken an area and make it prone
to frost bite. Someone here may tell us that this is because that after
a case of frost bite that there are fewer blood vessels bringing warmth
to the damaged area.

VtSkier

Old January 1st 05, 03:01 PM
VtSkier

On 2004-12-31, VtSkier penned:

This post is get some discussion going, hope it works.

I've been lazy and haven't been skiing in two weeks. I'll be at
steamboat all
next weekend, though.

I took the kids skiing Wednesday at a local hill. I had custom footbeds
made this year, along with some boot tweaking, and I have to admit, I'm
wondering why I waited so long. It was like night and day.. I never knew
how much better things were with boots that fit right. DUHHHHH!

OTOH, I also bought some new Volkl 5-stars that I don't think I'll be
using until 2006. It's kind of like a snow guarantee... buy new gear,
get no snow. Maybe I'll bring them to Steamboat in February, but I'm
not sure if I want those animals throwing my new skis all over the plane.

Happy New Year to everyone, and pray for some snow!

Jim in Rochester, NY

As I said I've been skiing quite a bit around here but it's really bad.
My ATM card pays me "points". I now have enough points for a plane
ticket anywhere in the US. I may go back to Tahoe or try Utah if I can
just free up the time.

VtSkier