question about ski marketing

Old December 23rd 04, 01:56 AM
ant

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
If you demo eveery chance you get and have a good memory, you can build a
quiver of $5 skis that you coveted, and have every possible condition and
situation covered.

Rubbish! I've never seen a Mod-X Pro or Salomon 3V slalom for $5!
sigh.

ant

Old December 23rd 04, 01:56 AM
ant

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Is a ski designated "black diamond," "expert," etc always stiffer than one
in
the same line designated "blue-black", "advanced," etc?

I'm trying to figure out what the ski industry means by "more advanced
ski."

Lal said it very well... the upper level skis are often less forgiving, more
responsive, often a bit faster. A bit like sports cars vs family cars. When
they are right for you, though, they just feel REALLY good!

Go demo some stuff...you are probably compiling a list and using this info
to narrow it down, but chances are when you go demoing, they'll have
different skis.

Feel is key...I loathe some very highly rated skis, and love others.

ant

Old December 23rd 04, 02:59 AM
The Real Bev

lal_truckee wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Every ski is potentially mine.

Every ski IS potentially yours forever.

Especially if you're a packrat.

If you miss them when they're new, you can try them later when they cost
$5 with good bindings at a garage sale...

You've been eavesdropping!

All you need to learn is how to evaluate used skis (hint: the easiest
first step is to judge the thickness of the edge metal - too thin,
they've been stone-ground to death and won't ski like they used to -
original thickness they are hardly used and will ski exactly as new.)

If you demo eveery chance you get and have a good memory, you can build
a quiver of $5 skis that you coveted, and have every possible condition
and situation covered.

The ease with which you can do this is definitely location-dependent,
and you won't find a lot of decent skis in SoCal -- most people brought
them from elsewhere and then dump them when they get rid of the rest of
the stuff they brought from the east, and Play It Again doesn't even
deal in skis any more. OTOH, if you want something with Arlberg straps
to mount on your wall... The last good $5 skis+boots (Elan original
parabolics) I've found (or even seen) were last March, and I look
through a couple of dozen yard sales every Saturday.

Not this Saturday, though. Christmas is the one day in the year when
NOBODY holds a yard sale.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 23rd 04, 03:01 AM
The Real Bev

Dave_in_Spokane wrote:

Bruno Melli wrote:

Here' I'll make it easy for you:

Just go get some Rossignol Bandit B2. Everybody around here
knows that Rossi makes the best skis in the world. But more importantly,
my wife has a pair which she loves.

Ah, don't believe a word Bruno says. He just likes Rossi's 'cause his
have a picture of a half nekkid woman on them.

I thought it was frog loyalty.