Ski touring in Wales

Old March 3rd 06, 11:38 PM

Default Ski touring in Wales

Anyone into ski touring might like to consider popping over to the Welsh
mountains this weekend. Conditions here in mid Wales are excellent at
the moment.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old March 4th 06, 05:45 PM

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 16:01:05 +0000, MadCow wrote:

We had a snowstorm that lasted all of five minutes, it snowed quite
heavily (but horizontally) and some of it stayed on the ground all night
!

One day, just *one* day, it'll snow heavily enough round here that I
can say that I've actually skied in England[1]. Or maybe snowboarded.

[1] Dry slopes and snow domes don't count, OK?

--
-Pip
Old March 5th 06, 10:34 AM

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Anyone into ski touring might like to consider popping over to the Welsh
mountains this weekend. Conditions here in mid Wales are excellent at
the moment.

Have you done any?
Old March 5th 06, 07:15 PM

Felly sgrifennodd davidof :
Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Anyone into ski touring might like to consider popping over to the Welsh
mountains this weekend. Conditions here in mid Wales are excellent at
the moment.

Have you done any?

Unfortunately, I have the wrong bindings and no skins. But I did carry my
skis up a little way and did a few runs. It's a lot of effort though!

Adrian

Old March 5th 06, 08:44 PM

In message , Pip Luscher
writes

One day, just *one* day, it'll snow heavily enough round here that I
can say that I've actually skied in England[1]. Or maybe snowboarded.

[1] Dry slopes and snow domes don't count, OK?

Where are you?
There must've been more snow in Henley than here (Reading) because there
were traces of it still in cold places today.

I know someone who's done cross-country skiing in the Chilterns, he
bought the kit for £40 from a bloke whose employer posted him to Norway
and then changed its mind.
My question is, should I buy snowblades on e-bay just in case, or would
that prevent it snowing here ever?

--
Sue ];(
Old March 5th 06, 09:03 PM

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:44:54 +0000, MadCow wrote:

Where are you?

Suffolk.

There must've been more snow in Henley than here (Reading) because there
were traces of it still in cold places today.

Well, I had to nip into work yesterday (near Cambridge) and it was
blue skies throughout the afternoon. Apparently it snowed heavily for
a few minutes in Newmarket, but when I got back there it was sunny and
damp.

I know someone who's done cross-country skiing in the Chilterns, he
bought the kit for £40 from a bloke whose employer posted him to Norway
and then changed its mind.
My question is, should I buy snowblades on e-bay just in case, or would
that prevent it snowing here ever?

Of course it would!

--
-Pip
Old March 6th 06, 06:35 AM

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Felly sgrifennodd davidof :

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:

Anyone into ski touring might like to consider popping over to the Welsh
mountains this weekend. Conditions here in mid Wales are excellent at
the moment.

Have you done any?

Unfortunately, I have the wrong bindings and no skins. But I did carry my
skis up a little way and did a few runs. It's a lot of effort though!

Going through my old slides (scanning them, great fun) recently I found
one of me skiing in Coventry about 25 years ago. In the fields just off
the London Rd. by the cemetery. Only a 50 yd slope, so I only did it a
couple of times just to say that I'd done it.