Best midlength waxable touring ski?

Old February 1st 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Default Best midlength waxable touring ski?

Any candidates?

I'd like a midlength waxable touring ski that's still VERY
LIGHTWEIGHT.

About 58mm. Or maybe wider if a shorter ski should be wider to achieve
same float in mixed touring conditions.

Weight should be as light as the lightest 58mm touring ski, which was
the Fischer Touring Light at, what, 1400 grams for 210's.

Thanks! --JP
Old February 1st 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Well, crud.

Here I'm accepting the benefit of a shorter ski for manueverability on
certain of my local, technical trails, but I don't want to kill my
glide.

....And I can't find any midlength waxable.

It's all no-wax.

I've never seen one that glided in the winter. Maybe they work in
spring corn.

I plan on using Start Glide Tape on a midlength ski for my next boonie-
style adventures.

Nowax skis just go so slow that you can't hardly get anywhere. Har.

Looks like the ski makers disagree.

People in slushy climate-terrain also disagree. Nowax is great for
them. For the Sierra and New England peoples. The problem is that
nowax is TERRIBLE for the midwesterners. And there are more of us
skiing than you! : ) OK, maybe not, but whatever. In *Minnesota,
Wisconsin, Michigan* a nowax ski doesn't help. Except for beginners, I
suppose. Sigh. For a normally fit energetic person to use a nowax ski
in normal winter snow is like the same person riding their nice new-
style roadbike---with a brake rubbing. Hard. And really low tire
pressure. Worse.

When it's WINTER I glide TWICE as fast/far on my waxables as the poor
schmoes do on their nowaxes. Doesn't anyone care? Ugh!

Glide is the point! It's the FUN. A little learning doesn't hurt no
steenking fun.

Well, maybe my raving is for naught. Is there a waxable midlength out
there, peoples? Help?

--JP
Old February 1st 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
jeff potter wrote:
Well, maybe my raving is for naught. Is there a waxable midlength out
there, peoples? Help?

The Fischer Superlight Wax?

Old February 2nd 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

On Feb 1, 4:52*pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,
jeff potter wrote:

Well, maybe my raving is for naught. Is there a waxable midlength out
there, peoples? Help?

The Fischer Superlight Wax?

Thanks! : )

Maybe it's more than just a racer wannabe ski. 48mm-44-46 seems a bit
like the old Fischer allround width, like the Fibers---might be
nice'n'sporty on homemade trails.

I wonder how the Superlight would handle a chunked-up homebrew
technical downhill?

My old Fischers---including race skis---always handled great. It's due
to their torsional stiffness, I think.

What was the width of a 1980's RCS? Maybe between 44 and 48. I recall
the Rossi 44's being narrower. The old RCS's were a strong yet fast
and light ski---and still are, when you can find them. I could bomb a
boony trail with them---of course it was dicey and they didn't float
per se. But maybe a Superlight would do the trick...and be more
manueverable coz it's shorter.

A little wider would've made the SL more allround without hurting its
track speed much, but I suppose when you're in a RACING FIELD you
don't want to be LEFT BEHIND. Oooh, the infamy. 50-52 would be for 90%
of the skiers who don't care...and would help them get around better
yet still be light and swift.

Man, my new Fischer BC Country's are so SOFT in the tail and heavy
elsewhere that they just crash me out all the time. Very frustrating.
I haven't adapted to them yet AT ALL.

And have you tried to ski the boonies with a javelin shaped race ski?
How about a torsionally soft one? Ha! Don't even try. I did it the
other day and crashed a lot. Man, they wash out and get away from you
in the blink of an eye. I remember when the first javelin ski came out
in the early 80's---the Kneissl (Yellow?) Star. Gunde's ski, I think.
Fast but keep it in the track! That was the word.

--JP
oyb
Old February 2nd 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
jeff potter wrote:
Maybe it's more than just a racer wannabe ski. 48mm-44-46 seems a bit
like the old Fischer allround width, like the Fibers---might be
nice'n'sporty on homemade trails.

I'm usually on traditional length skis but this weekend I
wanted to reconnoiter some skidoo trails for mushing and so
I went out on an old pair of no-wax mom skis (short and
wide, just like ... ), and they climbed like snowshoes,
glided like snowshoes, and were awfully squirrelly. It had
been a couple of years since I'd used them and it was pretty
interesting - turned and stopped great but they had terrible
directional stability. Longer skis just track straighter.