Any way to tell if wax is high fluoro or not?

Old February 16th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Default Any way to tell if wax is high fluoro or not?

On Feb 15, 7:36 pm, "
wrote:
Method 2.

Wax a surface with a known HC wax, wax the same surface the same way
with a known HF wax, and wax the same surface the same way with wax
X.

Deposit 10 droplets of water of the same size onto patches HC, HF, and
X.

First, see if there is a difference between droplets HC and HF. If
there is, the method kinda works.

Second see if droplets X look more like droplets HC or more like
droplets HF.

Use wax X for training/recreational skiing. Buy known HF wax and use
for racing. Learn a $(insert price) lesson and move on.
Old February 17th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 14, 2:57 pm, wrote:
Does anybody know if there's a way to tell if wax is high fluoro or
not? I wonder because I purchased some HF Toko wax on E-Bay and now
I'm wondering what would stop someone from putting in regular
Hydrocarbon wax and passing it off as HF. Also, it seems likely that
sometimes one could separate a wax from it's labeled container, so I
was wondering if there are any characteristics -- smell, granularity,
weight, etc. that might indicate a wax's fluoro content.

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but wax manufacturers
generally(certainly Swix and Toko do this) put more color in the lower
fluoro waxes, so just hold the bar you purchased up to lower fluoro
product of the same color from the same brand. HF is lighter than LF
is lighter than CH. really simple.
Old February 17th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but wax manufacturers
generally(certainly Swix and Toko do this) put more color in the lower
fluoro waxes, so just hold the bar you purchased up to lower fluoro
product of the same color from the same brand. HF is lighter than LF
is lighter than CH. really simple.

I've noticed that, too. Good point.

Old February 17th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Zeke

On Feb 16, 10:46 pm, "
wrote:
i'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but wax manufacturers
generally(certainly Swix and Toko do this) put more color in the lower
fluoro waxes, so just hold the bar you purchased up to lower fluoro
product of the same color from the same brand. HF is lighter than LF
is lighter than CH. really simple.

I've noticed that, too. Good point.

I don't disagree but I've seen enough color variation from one year to
the next and also between various size packaging to make this more
difficult a distinction than you'd hope. (speaking from experience
having done the same thing as OP - lost track of non fluoro vs. lf
type wax and tried to identify it by color alone)
Old February 17th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 17, 3:14*pm, Zeke wrote:
On Feb 16, 10:46 pm, "

wrote:
i'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but wax manufacturers
generally(certainly Swix and Toko do this) put more color in the lower
fluoro waxes, so just hold the bar you purchased up to lower fluoro
product of the same color from the same brand. HF is lighter than LF
is lighter than CH. really simple.

I've noticed that, too. Good point.

I don't disagree but I've seen enough color variation from one year to
the next and also between various size packaging to make this more
difficult a distinction than you'd hope. *(speaking from experience
having done the same thing as OP - lost track of non fluoro vs. lf
type wax and tried to identify it by color alone)

The color recommendation is brilliant -- exactly the little tid bit of
information I didn't know but hoped existed.

I ran the test above on two of the 3 HF waxes I bought (I don't have
any LF in yellow), and the blue and red tested (lighter) as they
should. So it looks like what I bought is what it was advertised to be
(I know this isn't definitive, but it's something). And hopefully this
discussion will help someone else out in the future.

Slightly lighter colors up the HF scale. Who would have guessed.
Old February 19th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Ah, so the huge difference in the way that fluoro SPARKLES when you
iron it compared to the plain old HC wax isn't an obvious way to tell
them apart? Hello?

I don't have new waxes but the old fluoro waxes that I have LIGHT UP
when I iron them. (To an extent. I'm exaggerating for effect...)

I find it WEIRD that no one is mentioning this difference when this
REMARKABLE effect was commonly mentioned and marveled at back when
fluoro first came around. Does it no longer occur due to some weird
change in production? Hello?

--JP
Old February 19th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Aren't the sparkles only evident in pure fluoros?

Dave

"Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)" wrote in
message

Old February 19th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
delltodd

On Feb 19, 11:06*am, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote:
fluoro SPARKLES ...LIGHT UP

--JP

I have seen this with FastWax HF, but also with the FastWax sportline
(CH) blue wax too. It may be just a fastwax thing.

Also I have seen Toko pure fluoro sparkles, but not all pure fluoros
sparkle.
Old February 20th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Also I have seen Toko pure fluoro sparkles, but not all pure fluoros
sparkle.

I've only seen pure F sparkle, never HF

Old February 21st 08, 10:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 16, 2:25 am, highpeaksnordic wrote:
I have seen some Toko wax (the 100 gram bars) packed in a ziploc bag,
which simply has a stick-on label - I guess you take that purchase on
faith or buy from your local, reputable shop!

Few years ago, when I was still in xc skiing, these waxes was for
racing service. Toko never had fancy boxes for racing service waxes,
but they also never had racing service waxes sold in normal stores.
For Swix it was different, and racing service waxes were normally same
as waxes sold in stores.
But it's been a while, since I was wax technician in World cup, so
things could be different now

As for original poster goes. Back at my days, HF waxes had different
smell (even when not melted) then LF or non fluoro waxes. And smell
was so much different, you could easily tell which one is which. And
on top of that, LF waxes were more colorful (brighter color) then HF
waxes. But they never sparkled as pure fluoro waxes did when melted.
But once again, things can be different today

Take care,
Primoz
http://www.photo.si