Kick waxing for a stiff camber

Old January 22nd 08, 04:59 AM
Ed Miller Ed Miller is offline
Junior Member

Location: Hailey, Idaho
Question Kick waxing for a stiff camber

I have a pair of '06 RCS Classic Cold skis that I've barely used because the flex seems too stiff, however I've had them flex tested both where I bought them and another place and both say that I'm within the proper weight range for these. (tho at the lower end) Everytime I go out to classic I seem to grab my old SCS skis just because I like the flex so much more, and the kick is so much more solid, but I've vowed this year to make these newer skis work!
I understand the "812 Camber" on these Fischers is stiffer & higher than previously and never totally flattens out? (my weight: 164 lbs with strong intermediate kick, skis are 202cm)
Any tips or waxing ideas to make them work better for me? (Was wondering about using Start grip tape for a thicker wax zone directly under foot-do you sacrifice speed?)
Old January 22nd 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default Kick waxing for a stiff camber

They sound like maybe good klister skis.

Keep us posted about them!

--JP
Old January 22nd 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

On Jan 22, 5:42*am, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote:
They sound like maybe good klister skis.

Keep us posted about them!

--JP

My thought exactly. As an alternative, give some grip tape a try.

Also, if you have an idea how the camber lays out*, you might try
multiple additional layers of wax in the highest part of the wax
pocket, more or less feathered into thinner layers at the front and
back of the pocket.

* your shop can mark various areas of the camber flex, how much of a
gap is at various points when weight is applied.
Old January 22nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

--
Ed Miller

Ed,

The scientific "approach" would be to have a quantitative flex test
performed for your RCSs.

Try Zack Caldwell: http://www.caldwellsport.com/ski-ser...ex-evaluation/
or Mark Waechter: http://www.ultratune.net/flextesting.html

Edgar
Old January 28th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

If you want to use stiff skis for powder/hardwax, you need to wax
thicker than you normally would. You may need to build up a pyramid
of wax that is thickest under the foot and thinner near the front/back
of the kick zone. A paper test can give you a good idea of where you
can afford to wax thicker without sacrificing glide. With feet evenly
distributed on two skis, slide a piece of paper forward and backward
under each ski to determine your kick zone. Then, fold the piece of
paper so it is twice as thick and repeat. Fold again and repeat the
test. You will get shorter kick zones for the thicker pieces of paper
- these give you an indication of where you can wax thicker. This
also tells you where you should wax using klister (i.e., a shorter
zone than for hard-wax).

Brian

camber defined a Backcountry Skiing 3 January 25th 06 11:23 AM
Fischer 812 Camber Tony Nordic Skiing 7 January 7th 05 09:32 PM
waxing question: overlapping area between kick and glide zone Mike Hui Nordic Skiing 4 January 19th 04 01:40 AM
What I (think I) learned about kick waxing this weekend Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 4 December 18th 03 07:11 PM
Camber in skate skis Mike Nordic Skiing 5 November 7th 03 02:32 PM